Moparts

second attempt installing 511 a no go.

Posted By: mopar dave

second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 08:09 PM

still hitting part of the dr motor mount if i want the engine centered in the bay. big issue now is oil filter hits k member before the engine plate sets on the frame rail. looks like an inch to go before the plate will sit down on the frame rail. using a milodon oil pump and im guessing its thicker than a melling. would appreciate some input if anyone knows how to make this BB with engine plate fit an A body K member. thanks
Posted By: Iowan

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 08:23 PM

Just asking, why are you trying to center the motor? And are you using a stock K member?

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 08:31 PM

I guess it really doesn't have to be centered, so i'm ok there. I still have the issue with the oil filter hitting the stock A body K member. that was with the engine slide as far back as I could go with the plate before it hits the inner fender/frame intersect. i'll have to look again,but not sure I can move engine far enough forward for oil filter to clear K member. I need some room for the fan/radiator.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 08:45 PM

The first rule of hot rodding is that "a random collection of aftermarket parts will not fit together". This has been proven many times in the past it sounds like you are proving it again.

The A body K frame wasn't designed for a big block with a Milodon pump so there is no reason it should fit. If those are the parts you want to use then you'll have to make it fit.

Are you using the Milodon billet pump or the really big Milodon cast pump? The billet pump is about the size of a HV Melling pump so you might get it to fit. I've seen A body cars with remote filters so it is probably an issue depending on the K frame used. Radiator clearance is a problem with the A body swap also so no surprise there.

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 08:54 PM

yes Andy, i'm good at proving after market go fast parts don't just bolt right on without issues. The milodon pump is the billet pump I bought from you a few months ago. I can slide the engine forward for some oil filter cleance, but not sure how far before the fan would be into the radiator. Does the motor plate have to set down onto the frame fails or can it be mounted up with it elevated above the rails?
Posted By: madscientist

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By mopar dave
yes Andy, i'm good at proving after market go fast parts don't just bolt right on without issues. The milodon pump is the billet pump I bought from you a few months ago. I can slide the engine forward for some oil filter cleance, but not sure how far before the fan would be into the radiator. Does the motor plate have to set down onto the frame fails or can it be mounted up with it elevated above the rails?

You have to be careful how high you go up. The headers start hitting everything.

Seems to me it would have been easier to find a spool mount K member and buy the kit to make it into the conversion K member or whatever they called it. Seems there is (or was) a kit that DC sold.

That was a long time ago though.

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 09:04 PM

never used an engine plate before. I could set the plate on the mounting plate brackets and gain some clearance, maybe 1/4". with that and sliding engine forward a bit I might find the clearance I need. thanks

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 09:06 PM

i'll see what I can find on that. may be my last resort. thanks
Posted By: AndyF

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 09:16 PM

I don't understand why you think you can slide the engine forward or backwards. The transmission mount requires that the engine sit in one location only. If you have one of my motor plates then it puts the engine offset to the passenger side by the correct amount to line up with the driveshaft. If it is one of my motor plates then the motor plate should sit on the frame rails. That is where TTI wants the engine to sit for their headers to work.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 09:21 PM

Are you using andy f's plate ?
I have no pump contact issues but I do have a remote filter .
I can take some pics if you want just PM me your number .
Posted By: killermopar

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 09:21 PM

I used Schumacher spool mounts, and a melling pump. I had to do some clearance, and welding. Just big block a body blues i guess.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 09:25 PM

I have my front plate above the frame rail and the oil pan in stock location 1" above the k member and 1.5" to the pass side in stock location for a b body,yours may be 1" offset.Moving the engine forward,rear is limited by the trans mount a lot,maybe 3/4" total so the more you keep it stock the better to prevent problems with other things.The front frame mount for the plate is about the last thing to put in welding it unless you measured prior.Keep in mind that if your header tube goes around the torsion bar will limit the engine location also unless you want to move that tube a little to adjust it.
ps: Having the trans mount connected but loose will help you find where to put the engine.I used a floor jack under the oil pan to hold the engine up with a board between it and the pan and move the engine like that.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 10:03 PM

If I recall, is the motor mount a big part of the steering mount?
If not, cut that sucker off and reinforce the steering mount anyway.
Even if the motor mount takes up a lot of the steering mount walls, it can be cut away and with a little finagle here and there, be welded shut for a clean,strong steering mount with some room to get the engine in.
My engine is all the way back and has about a half inch away from the steering/motor mount or what was the motor mount. I cut it clean away and shaved it down to a smooth surface. Looks factory.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/27/17 10:10 PM

Now that you say that I did the same on mine .
6cly. K-frame .
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 01:16 AM

Sometimes you just need to get creative when you fit things where they didn't fit before.

Attached picture 2.25.17 012.jpg
Attached picture 6.20.17 016.jpg

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 02:28 AM

yes, using your plate. I sloted the trans mount so i could move the engine rearward or forward if need be. This helps, i will just set plate on frame and and against inner fender on pass. side. still need to clearance that oil filter to K member thou. also, i'll just set trans mount in center and tighten it up on next try. Thanks

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 02:29 AM

Yes, send pics when you get a chance. pics are good. Thanks

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 02:41 AM

a493demon, we have the same K member.
Hemi, looks clean. I can't see where you hammered or clearanced for the oil filter on the K. So, can the plate sit on top of the plate L brackets or should the L brackets just sit up against the plate and be mounted that way? on top would buy me a little clearance for filter. I cut the dr. motor mount off, but may need just a touce of trimming. not sure how to clearance the K yet, I'm sure thats some heavy metal there.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 02:45 AM

Sounds like a lot of work. Little tweaking, your smallblock would of run 9's easily before it grenaded.

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 02:56 AM

I believe your right, but it wasn't in the cards for me. my long term plan is to sell the car with a big block and buy a dodge demon with small block and 4 speed. I'v always liked the demons. just thought my car with a BB would be an easier sale. I think there all alot of work.
Posted By: dvw

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 03:00 AM

What headers? Did you trim the K frame for pan clearance (future removal). Is the steering box mount trimmed? Do you know what height the motor should be? These are all questions that need to be answered before the install. Personally I start with a bare block, heads, headers, and pan at the beginning of the build. Then radiator, fan, and accessories. Then the motor WILL fit when you install it.
Doug

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 03:15 AM

It could be that the motor is sitting too low and your plate has been trimmed wrongly. Have you checked sit height?
Posted By: dartman366

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 03:25 AM

Big block's in A bodys are not for the weak at heart, long nights , bloody knuckles and excessive use of foul language are normal, that said, I used Andy's motor plate and also removed the stock K frame and used a QA-1 tubular frame after cutting off the QA-1 motor mounts,, it fit,,it's close and the only problem I had was the routing of the external oil line (had to move it some) and I am using the same billit Milodon pump as you, the fitting came within 1/16 of the steering mount so I had to move it fully to the right to give it that much, it's in and running and my knuckles have healed,

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 03:36 AM

Maddog lo deck headers. K is trimmed. most of the motor mount/steering box mount is trimmed. measures are posted above and I will measure once the engine is back in. hoping 3 times a charm.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 03:36 AM

Oil filter in stock location can be a problem.My old filters that I took off in favor of a different system.

Attached picture 4.27.17 008.jpg
Attached picture 2.25.17 016.jpg
Posted By: rowin4

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 03:42 AM

On my 67 barracuda I used andy's front engine plate, cut the K member a little bigger than the pictures shown above, still should have cut it bigger as the pan bolts are tight to get at. Headers are the major item you need to be concerned with. Moving the engine back or off to the side will create big problems unless your going to build you own or do modifications. As Andy stated,the engine plate sets the engine at the proper height, trans mount sets front to back. Push it back the headers will hit the fire wall, change engine to center the headers will hit the torsion bars and frame. Unless you have a lot of money and a lot of hair to pull out , make it simple . Mark it with a chalk, cut it with a torch, check fit and weld it up.

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 04:16 AM

Ok. So stock location best. Still have to massage the k a bit.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
I don't understand why you think you can slide the engine forward or backwards. The transmission mount requires that the engine sit in one location only.

No it doesn't. That can be made adjustable as well. Up down and back and forth. Rethink it, and you will agree.

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 06:51 PM

when the motor plate is set on the frame rails, does this give enough under hood clearance for dominator and drop base air cleaner using a 6 pack hood? 400 block.
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 07:11 PM

You can also shim the k-member away from the body like they did with the 68' Hemi SS Darts.

It may give you the clearance.

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 07:17 PM

Thats another option. Where can i find more info on that?

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 07:42 PM

Shim the K. Never thought of that one. Good idea. History has a way of repeating itself indeed.
Posted By: Iowan

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/28/17 08:18 PM

Just make sure that you get it square in the body, tail shaft should be offset same amount as the crankshaft between the framerales. Two to four degrees up or higher in front.
Posted By: deaks

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/29/17 12:06 AM

I believe your right, but it wasn't in the cards for me. my long term plan is to sell the car with a big block and buy a dodge demon with small block and 4 speed. I'v always liked the demons. just thought my car with a BB would be an easier sale. I think there all alot of work.

When you drop the hammer on that BB you won't want to trade down again.
Mick
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/29/17 12:13 AM

Thats another option. Where can i find more info on that?

No info needed. 1/2 spacer longer bolts and install. You have to do a fea on it if you do that because it changes big time. The only reason the hemi cars were spaced down was that the motor was attached to the k member and they lowered it for hood clearance. I have done several b motors in a body and only had to trim off the left mount and trim gear box mount and re weld to make them fit.

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/29/17 03:02 AM

can't wait til the work is over and the fun begins.
Spacing will be one of my last options and that is another great idea. thanks guys

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/29/17 05:28 PM

I was installing my Milodon pump today and it looks like you can cut off about 1/2" off the bottom without getting anywhere near the oil filter to help make room.I have a HV melling and the filter bracket is 1" below the oil pan rail on the block.

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/29/17 08:33 PM

Do you mean mill the bottom flat? I will keep that in mind.

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/29/17 08:44 PM

Yes
ps I know this sounds crude but you can just mark it and cut with a hacksaw and use a file to smooth it.

Re: second attempt installing 511 a no go. - 06/30/17 03:32 AM

I have the schumacher conversion mounts as well. Think ill bolt the pass side mount on to locate engine where it needs to go. Gonna trim up the dr side mount some more and massage the K member a bit. Should go.
© 2024 Moparts Forums