Moparts

AJ..have they found something?

Posted By: cmansell

AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 02:31 AM

Et is looking better, but the mph seems to be up. Anyone in the know if they have changed something or just hard work paying off?
Posted By: scottb

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 04:13 AM

Does it really mater 15 Chevys 1 Dodge pro stock is now pro Chevy not pro stock
Posted By: A/MP

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 05:16 AM

Just remember, NHRA had Warren Johnson spec out the pro stock motors for GM, Ford and Chrysler. Since he did the building for himself and other GM racers, its pretty simple to see why GM had a better cylinder head.That's where all the power is.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By A/MP
Just remember, NHRA had Warren Johnson spec out the pro stock motors for GM, Ford and Chrysler. Since he did the building for himself and other GM racers, its pretty simple to see why GM had a better cylinder head.That's where all the power is.

That's the first I've read about this. Any links?
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 12:40 PM

Google " Warren Johnson DRCE"
Posted By: jyrki

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 01:21 PM

That's in some history book. Nothing to do with the PS engines of today. When the 500 cu in rule without weight breaks came out, I thought a Hemi might do well. It didn't. The GM engines developed quickly, especially the top block. They were first based on regular head castings that were radically changed. What the first DRCE's did, was basically making all the changes so far in to "as cast" versions.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By cmansell
Et is looking better, but the mph seems to be up. Anyone in the know if they have changed something or just hard work paying off?

They now are using CFE ported heads and intakes.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 06:16 PM

Does he get a higher rpm limit?
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 06:23 PM

Sure hasn't helped his reaction times...
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 07:15 PM

AJ was had a very competitive run first round at Bristol. Unfortunately he was uncharacteristically late on the starting line. Not terrible but not good enough to win a close race.

I think there is no doubt they have found something. I am not sure if CFE is still doing his heads but I thought Wilson was the manifold he had switched to recently.

Chris McGaha builds pro stock hemis for one of the other teams and has said that with the hood height rules the hemis manifolds could not be as tall and they need to be. I suspect that Wilson or whoever has figured how to fix that and still stay under the hood.

Bill

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/22/17 10:12 PM

In a class where a few thou gets a win an .089 light is terrible. Where is McGaha anyway? He has dropped off the tour the last few races.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 12:18 AM

I wished A.J.good luck today as he got in his Chrysler 100 or whatever that little thing is.lol He was kind of ho hum but still managed a smile.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 03:20 AM

McGaha took a couple weeks off to spend time with family...back on tour this weekend at norwalk..

http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/mcgaha-returns-to-pro-stock-competition-in-norwalk
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 07:19 AM

Rumor has it that Westcott will be at Norwalk too.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 07:33 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
Rumor has it that Westcott will be at Norwalk too.

Is he still trying to race a Ford in Pro stock or has he gone back to his Chevy roots?

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 08:31 AM

17 Pro Stock cars on the entry list. Westcott Jr. in a '12 Ford.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall

laugh2
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By Guitar Jones
Originally Posted By Dave Hall

laugh2

AJ played his stupid little staging game AGAIN and it bit him in the azz AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! Like it always does.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 01:59 PM

Maybe they switched to the symmetrical port head. The rpm limit is what killed the power with the Hemi head.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 03:49 PM

They are all with the symmetrical port head now. It simply makes more power under the new rules. AJ an other Mopar teams got caught with their pants down when the RPM limit came in. The symmetrical port stuff got put on the back burner as it was down on power to the asymmetric stuff under the old rules so development stopped on the symmetrical head. They are all playing catch up now. McGaha and team stayed with the symmetrical port stuff from the get go, the reason he ran so poor when in a Dodge. But that info paid off in sticking with it in the end. FWIW McGaha has a lot of irons in the fire with other toys he has. A friend runs his Engine Shop.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 03:50 PM

Oh yeah .089 on the tree, please....
Posted By: Leigh

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/23/17 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Oh yeah .089 on the tree, please....

Sounds like one of mine......😅
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: AJ..have they found something? - 06/24/17 12:03 AM

http://www.e3xtreme.net/nhra-62317/2017/6/23/nhra-pro-stock-cutting-back-to-18
© 2024 Moparts Forums