Moparts

Australian Muscle Parts

Posted By: johnnyd

Australian Muscle Parts - 06/17/17 03:05 AM

Hey,

I was reading some old posts and saw that several peeps use(d) the Australian Muscle Parts belt drive. To those the are familiar with it, is there anything special needed besides clearancing the block? Does a standard ATI balancer work or is there a special balancer that is required?

I hear it's difficult to get replacement parts like the bearings. Any other comments about this piece?

Thanks,

Johnnyd
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/17/17 03:48 AM

My guess is the bearings would be standard off-the-shelf items. But you'll have to flip them over 'cause they'll be upside down - being from Australia and all !!
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/17/17 05:11 AM

I have a new one going in my current build, nice piece, Mancini used to sell them, just hope it doesn't run counter clockwise,lol....
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/17/17 05:36 AM

Their product looks exactly like Jesel's , so why would you buy something that you might have a problem getting a replacement belt or pulley ? I could see buying it if you were in Australia or were not available in the USA. Just to be different? LOL
Posted By: rebel

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/18/17 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By rowin4
Their product looks exactly like Jesel's , so why would you buy something that you might have a problem getting a replacement belt or pulley ? I could see buying it if you were in Australia or were not available in the USA. Just to be different? LOL

it's not the same as a Jesel since it has an idler wheel which in my opinion makes it superior. i've run mine for the past decade & i'm very happy with it. the only downside part is that it didn't come with Torque fugures for the LH thread center bolt but apart from that its an awesome piece. i didn't have to modify anything to make mine fit & the extended ATI damper fits great.

Attached picture 2014-07-18 20.56.37.jpg
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/18/17 04:36 AM

My Jesel has the idler wheel and the torque for the left hand thread is 75 foot pounds
Posted By: Alchemi

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/18/17 05:58 AM

My Jesel has the idler wheel and the torque for the left hand thread is 75 foot pounds

Got a part number for that?
Posted By: LA360

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/18/17 08:31 AM

the belts are a HTD drive belt, which are more than readily available. They aren't a proprietary belt like the Jesel unit is.

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/18/17 09:02 AM

thanks for that. we chose 70lbs with a drop pf Loctite. we were close.

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/18/17 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By LA360
the belts are a HTD drive belt, which are more than readily available. They aren't a proprietary belt like the Jesel unit is.

I can buy a Mitsuboshi belt at a local supply outlet for these. Cheap too, well cheap for us maybe, last one cost me $32. I've replaced my belt as being the only changeout part i thought weas neccessary.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/20/17 03:43 PM

The Jesel RAISED cam belt drive uses an idler. The std one does not use an idler...

FWIW I had an AMP belt drive on the Valiant. HAd a few small issues with it but I bought it in 2004 and think it was an early version. They helped me fix the fitment issues and it worked fine after that. Sold it to a member here and assume its still working well.
Posted By: johnnyd

Re: Australian Muscle Parts - 06/21/17 04:04 PM

Rebel- your ATI balancer fit with no issues? When you say you have the ATI extended balancer I presume the hub is deeper than their standard unit. You have a part number for it? My standard ATI balance doesn't seem to fit properly.

What are the part numbers for the belts you are using? I have a Goodyear version but it's a bit too wide and will probably shred on the crank pulley if run this way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums