Moparts

Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge

Posted By: gsmopar

Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/27/17 03:54 PM

A good read! I wonder if the Ford guys argue about this as much as us:

HRM HEMI vs WEDGE
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/27/17 09:12 PM

Neither of the 2 heads shown is either a hemi, or a wedge. Both are quench chambers with rotated valve positions and irregular non-geometric (viz. not full or partial hemispherical) outline.
My definition of a wedge is based on characteristics of the original (factory production) wedge engines, the 1949 Cadillac and Oldsmobile, followed by the Pontiac, SBC, FE, Windsor, B/RB, LA, nailhead, AMC, etc.
1. parallel valves
2. single stem angle aligned toward intake port axis
3. quench chamber
4. single rocker shaft or stud/pedestal
My definition of a hemi is based on characteristics of the original (factory production) hemi engines, the pre-WW2 1926 Harley-Davidson and British bikes, followed by the 1951 etc. Chrysler, DeSoto, & Dodge Gen-1, and (finally) Plymouth Gen-2.
1. opposing valves with a large included angle (total of both stem axes), exactly like current high performance Toyota etc. DOHC 4-valve engines
2. valves aligned toward their port axis
3. minimal quench, only at the annular non-domed piston edge
4. double rocker shafts

An author who claims someone "settles" a question (viz. all arguments presented and resolved) doesn't understand the question or the answer.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/27/17 09:25 PM

Attended a Kasse workshop one time--back when we were just starting to do lots of 572's etc with alum rods--you had to grind your butt off on inside and outside of the bores--PIA to see what you needed to do next--John showed us how he cut "windows " in an old piston top stuck it on a rod and you could see down in there to see what needed grinding next--genius! easy simple effective time saver He like all builders always found that a pushrod rubbed somewhere after you had the thing almost built so he came up with a long fluted reamer that was pushrod size and length--put the drill on it jab it in about where pushrod would be and "lean" on that baby and grind your way to some room--he taped off what must have been a 50K engine and used the vacuum just like I do when in a jam--made me feel better that guys like him did same short cuts to get one going
He also never used a giant water tank with his dyno --he ran water to it and just dumped it in field behind the shop as it ran--gotta LOVE that guy!!!!! All in all one of the smartest practical engine guys I have ever met--he even line honed blocks on a darn table with no cabinet--guys in shop just stood there and squirted honing oil on it as he ran the drill--wipe table off go to the next deal--What a guy!!!!
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/27/17 11:18 PM

One is a twisted wedge one is a more twisted wedge, or you could call either of em a poly. Also an intake can make a 50 hp difference so it I don't understand why they used two different intakes since it seems from reading the article that both heads could use the same one.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/28/17 05:09 AM

Found On Road Dead whistling grin
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/28/17 05:11 AM

I agree with Boff. Not a real hemi vs. not a real wedge. Interesting and useful data, but does nothing to settle any of the traditional debates.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/28/17 02:29 PM

Good read yea, if, it wasn't wrote by a media guy like all the magazines do
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/28/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
I agree with Boff. Not a real hemi vs. not a real wedge. Interesting and useful data, but does nothing to settle any of the traditional debates.
I got huge respect for Kaase but that article is seriously flawed in approach and assumptions. Doesn't really answer nuthin.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/28/17 03:27 PM

Agree the canted valve P51 appreas to be too far removed from a conventional wedge thst the article isn't conclusive. However, the Boss 9 chamber looks pretty similar to a G3 Hemi, quench area and all. Would be curious to see what the valve angles are on the Boss 9 vs. most G3 heads.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/28/17 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge

"90% of all fords are on the road today"....................
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/28/17 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By cudadon

"90% of all fords are on the road today"....................

THE OTHER 10% MADE IT HOME!!!!!
hahahahhahahahhaa
I said that to one of my drof friends, man did he get mad.

Don

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/28/17 09:33 PM

Kaase is a brilliant engineer and engine builder, IMHO the errors and non sequiturs were the author's work.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/29/17 01:33 AM

I've always like that article. I think it is a great example of how that flow doesn't really tell the whole story. More flow on the bench does not necessarily translate into more power on the dyno.

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/29/17 01:48 AM

And as Larry Widmer maintains, dyno power doesn't always make the best ET, he thinks that "transitional power" (change in RPM) is more important than steady state.

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/29/17 05:53 AM

Originally Posted By polyspheric
Kaase is a brilliant engineer and engine builder, IMHO the errors and non sequiturs were the author's work.

That is what I was saying, the authors always spin it their way. Could have saved a lot of reading by just showing the numbers.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/29/17 02:38 PM

Couldn't agree more. Wish he was on 'our' side. Anytime he's doing something new I pay attention. Dave
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/29/17 02:51 PM

Fix OR Repair Daily
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/29/17 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By bonefish
Fix OR Repair Daily

F@#$ked On Race Day

Kevin

Re: Kaase's Hemi vs. Wedge - 05/29/17 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By quickd100

Couldn't agree more. Wish he was on 'our' side. Anytime he's doing something new I pay attention. Dave

We have a few on "our" side but woefully underpaid. Ford people have deep roots and pockets. If Mopar goes away I'll move to Ford, if they go away, I quit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums