Moparts

470 ci project underway!! Pistons and girdle install

Posted By: ccdave

470 ci project underway!! Pistons and girdle install - 04/15/17 03:31 PM

Just got the 400 block back from Automotive Machine in Fraser, Mi boogie
These guys do quality work and are EASY to deal with. Just sprayed a fresh coat of insulator paint in the block and will get the crank installed next......

Attached picture IMG_3083.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3143.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3147.JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/15/17 03:33 PM

Looks great. up Ron
Posted By: bonefish

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/15/17 03:48 PM

can you share your plans for the rest of the combo? up

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/15/17 04:04 PM

This motor will be in a 70 Roadrunner 5 speed with 3.91 gears. The motor has the following:

Molnar 3.91 crank
Diamond custom pistons 10:9 CR
Molnar 6.535 H beam rods
Std port Victor heads gen 3 castings if I ever get them from Edelbrock flame
Hughes Hyd roller
Hughes rockers
Performer rpm intake
Holley 950 Ultra HP
TTI 1" 7/8's headers
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/15/17 04:22 PM

Nice starting point. Good luck with the build.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/15/17 06:50 PM

up

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 06:18 AM

Crank installed!!!!! I made a few mods to the SDC caps to make installation easy. A bevel was milled into the edge of the cap for easier install and less galling on the cap into the block registers. I also removed material from the inside of the washer countersink on the caps so the socket fits onto the nuts without the caps material interfering. Lastly I drilled out the #3 cap to 17/32 for easier thrust adjustment. I also brushed moly onto the cap edges and block registers to help prevent galling.

Attached picture IMG_3210.JPG

Description: Crank is in!
Attached picture IMG_3172.JPG
Posted By: StageIII

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 06:28 AM

Who's main caps are you using?

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 06:33 AM

SDC

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 04:35 PM

Crank install!!!!!

Attached picture IMG_3200.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3201.JPG
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Crank install - 04/22/17 04:44 PM

thumbs
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 04:46 PM

Lookin good man..............
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 05:12 PM

Looks good thumbs

Did you take the time to install the rear seal retainer, line up the seal grooves and make reference marks for proper location before the crank went in?

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 05:19 PM

Yes whistling

That's a good one up
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By ccdave
Yes whistling

That's a good one up

Thanks for paying attention bow

It's the small details that add up to complete satisfaction.

Good looking build!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 07:35 PM

Do not use any lube or any other materials between the mating surface, all of them, of the block and main caps tsk tsk tsk
They need metal to metal contact only to mate, center and hold the caps in properly up twocents
Posted By: Porter67

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 07:57 PM

What brand main studs are those?

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 07:59 PM

Those are ARP's up

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/22/17 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Do not use any lube or any other materials between the mating surface, all of them, of the block and main caps tsk tsk tsk
They need metal to metal contact only to mate, center and hold the caps in properly up twocents

Got it up

But I just love the silky smooth moly brushed up against the aluminum caps drool
The caps glide into the cap regesters like butter and no chafing popcorn

Mmmmm boogie

Attached picture IMG_3174.JPG

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 04:02 AM

You will be sorry shruggy
Did you use the lube on the caps like that when you measure the bearing to crank clearances ? If so you got a false reading shruggy

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 04:23 AM

I'm not worried about it. All my measurements matched what my machinest said they were. When I build a stock cap engine I leave the caps dry, aluminum caps get the edge beveled and a coat of moly. I don't like galled up parts. I'm sure your way works great for you, my way works great for me.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 04:31 AM

nice build. I've heard both theories on the lubrication. personally I put mine in dry, and if you install the main studs first you can use them as a guide to slide the caps down and tap them into place. some guys like the bevels some don't. whatever you do, make your mods before the shop line bores it. its also good to simulate the install when line boring so that you and your shop do the exact same things.

keep us posted on the progress!!!!!

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 04:39 AM

Thanks Jerry.

All mods were done before the line bore and hone. up
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 05:09 AM

Very, very nice stuff.
Posted By: Blown_Hemi

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 02:38 PM

X
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge

Does the lube increase the chance of cap walk?
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 05:00 PM

Never install stuff dry. Oil gets between everything anyway
Posted By: rowin4

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 05:23 PM

Did you buy your so called ARP studs yourself or did your machine shop ? Never seen ARP main studs without the hex key insert on the ends. I never put any lube on the main caps , aluminum or iron.

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 05:54 PM

The studs are different for a reason. On top of the aluminum caps with be a much disputed girdle.

Living in southeast Michigan is a good thing in that no matter where you live a fasteners engineer that works for FCA is a stones throw away. I ran the lube vs no lube past my neighbor this morning and got this..

"If there is any built in interference between the cap and block it would cause a change in the joint seating torque. So with the lube,lower seating torque, without lube, higher seating torque.
However, if you are running them down by hand that would not matter nearly as much as if the caps were were being run down dynamically"

Posted By: rowin4

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 08:07 PM

Ok, your ARP studs are special to use a girdle. My girdle use's ARP studs with the hex key insert. Did you read what you wrote about the lube between the caps? It doesn't make any sense. It sounds like you took what you wanted to hear from a lot of different answers . Good luck with your build, your going to need it.
Posted By: dwayne welder

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/23/17 08:19 PM

It will be just FINE!!!!

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/24/17 12:07 AM

[quote=rowin4]Ok, your ARP studs are special to use a girdle. My girdle use's ARP studs with the hex key insert. Did you read what you wrote about the lube between the caps? It doesn't make any sense. It sounds like you took what you wanted to hear from a lot of different answers . Good luck on your build your gonna need it quote]

I don't recall asking for any opinions. It's too bad you don't understand the information I provided. If you would like I can hook you up with the engineer who explained the lube vs dry deal. Perhaps he can bring it down a few notches so even you could understand...

You are very fortunate to have the hex in your ARP studs. Mine did not come that way from Hughes Engines. Maybe you could call Dave Hughes on my behalf and let him know how unfair it is that you have a hex in your studs and I don't..

Keep em coming, I love it!!!!!!!!!

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/24/17 04:27 AM

Have you ever had to help educate any type of engineers? I have, some are great, most are normal and some have their suspicions that they are smarter than you are if you don't have a higher education degree than they do work shock whistling Some of them your wasting your time and breath on trying to help them down Just like many people in every day life shruggy
You need to know and remember that many teachers teach thing they can't make a living doing shock :scope
Professors teach teachers whistling work shruggy
My last World block that was suppose to have ARP main studs didn't puke
Trust and verify up

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/24/17 05:25 AM

Well said Cab up

The studs do say ARP on the ends. But then again, in this day and age they could be Chinese copies. The good news is Rowin4 is going to call Dave Hughes for me to verify the origins of the suspicious so-called ARP studs........ boogie

The next chapter should raise some additional controversy in that I will be installing a girdle on top of the aluminum caps!!!!! That should be fun...... whistling

Attached picture IMG_3221.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 470 ci project underway - 04/24/17 06:33 AM

On my SB main studs I have both the hex and
non hex style.. I dont know if they have a
different P/N or not.. never really mattered
to me... and I lube everything..I do wipe things
on the final assembly but there is still oil and
it gets primed while still on the stand.. oil is
a good thing
wave
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Crank install - 04/26/17 05:14 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Porter67

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Crank install - 04/26/17 05:19 AM

On small batches of arp studs from arp, some do not have the provision for the allen wrench.

Weather the op lubes the areas hes listing or not, it will still run the same.

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Crank install - 04/26/17 06:16 AM

Dave it looks very nice and I am happy that its starting to come together so nicely for you. I think you are going to have a very nice running car/combo that you will enjoy alot when you get her done.

One thing I might say that may help releif a little tension that no one needs and by all means I do not mean to step into anyone's affairs. But when my oldest son started taking auto shop in high school I sat him down and had a nice talk with him because I did not want any conflict to get in his way in auto shop since I had been an auto tech all my life and I told him to be sure to not get smart to or say any smart remarks to his shop teacher if he tells him how to do or work any job on a car that may be different then what I had taught him. I just wanted him to know that many auto techs might do the same job a little different sometimes and most of the times both ways may be right. One may just prefer a certain way better then a way another may do the job. And both ways can be right as we all have our certain preferences of a way we may do a job. I told him his teacher and I may do some jobs different and both ways can be right. I wanted him to understand we all may have little differences in how we do a job and both ways can be fine so for him to respect his teacher even if he does a job different then I may have showed him.
I see that many times in the automotive world and just because many of us do some jobs a little different dont mean one has to be wrong.
Good luck with this cool build and keep us posted on the progress. Ron

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Crank install - 04/26/17 07:25 AM

Thanks Ron up

Moparts is very helpful. I've gathered a ton of good info from a few over the years. I've always wanted to build a 470 and finally have the opportunity to build one for a friend. I really believe it's one of the best combos for a low deck Mopar. up

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Crank install - 04/26/17 05:08 PM

[quote=ccdave] Thanks Ron up

Moparts is very helpful. I've gathered a ton of good info from a few over the years. I've always wanted to build a 470 and finally have the opportunity to build one for a friend. I really believe it's one of the best combos for a low deck Mopar. up

Great combo for sure and a BLAST on the street.............. beer

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Crank install - 04/27/17 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
[quote=ccdave] Thanks Ron up

Great combo for sure and a BLAST on the street.............. beer

Yes Thumper your car is sure proof of that. up Ron

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Crank install - 04/27/17 05:51 PM

Thankxxx.............. thumbs

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Piston install - 05/15/17 05:55 PM

Rods and pistons installed without any clearance drama up Very happy with the Molnar rods beer

Attached picture IMG_3259.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3259.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3323.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3329.JPG

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Piston install - 05/15/17 06:10 PM

More pics

Attached picture IMG_3325.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3270.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3337.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3337.JPG

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Piston install - 05/15/17 06:11 PM

Sorry for the double pics. Moparts does not like my I pad....

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Piston install - 05/15/17 06:20 PM

The girdle install on this engine took a little twist in that I decided to drill a hole in the girdle directly center between the studs on caps 1,2,3 and 4. Why not take advantage of the threaded 3/8's hole in the center of the aluminum caps and fasten the caps to the girdle. Introducing the worlds first 3 bolt main boogie

Description: The Highly Contrivesial GIrdle!!!!
Attached picture IMG_3377.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3375.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3380.JPG
Posted By: Clanton

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Piston install - 05/15/17 06:37 PM

Nice!Ever wonder about the shim variance?I used a 3/8 girdle on my iron caps.

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Piston install - 05/15/17 06:37 PM

How tight did you torque that center main cap bolt to?
Is it enough to lift and distort the main caps work scope
Probably not a good idea to do that work twocents

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Piston install - 05/15/17 06:44 PM

Don't you worry Cab pity all shimmed up and tighted up to 25 ft pounds with a little locktight 👍 This idea was discussed with the owner of SDC who makes the caps along with ASE, NASA, the late Dick Landy and Kieth Richards from The Rolling Stones 👍

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Piston install - 05/15/17 07:15 PM

Pistons

Description: Pistons
Attached picture IMG_3361.JPG
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Piston install - 05/15/17 07:17 PM

Lookin' good! Love all the pics and descriptions in this thread.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Piston install - 05/15/17 09:38 PM

Cab, our caps (bcrproducts) tend to be pretty tall in the middle of the cap. this allows for minor shimming and then interfacing with a girdle. if you're going to go this route we really recommend the girdle caps as more load is transferred to the girdle and away from the studs.

a lot of other after market aluminum caps are very similar to stock style caps and even if you use a longer stud on the girdle you're not gaining anything in terms of clamping.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Pistons and girdle install - 05/15/17 10:23 PM

popcorn

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Pistons and girdle install - 05/16/17 05:50 AM

Stay tuned!!!!!! Windage tray / oil pan install next!!!!!

Description: Next will be the windage tray/ oil pan install !!!!!!!! Stay tuned as the new Edelbrock Gen 3 Victor heads will be in very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached picture IMG_3381.JPG
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Pistons and girdle install - 05/16/17 08:37 PM

Hey Dave love the pictures, love the build. Do yourself a favor and set both heads on the dowl-pins to make sure that they don't bottom out on the heads. They appear to be setting pretty high in the pictures. I cracked a set of very nice 906 heads many years ago by not checking this after the heads and block were surfaced at the machine shop. Well worth the 30 seconds it takes to check it with a feeler gauge.

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Pistons and girdle install - 05/16/17 09:46 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Re: 470 ci project underway!! Pistons and girdle install - 05/16/17 11:43 PM

Yep, I always install em w/no gasket and see how they fit and the same w/metering blocks on carbs...........
© 2024 Moparts Forums