Moparts

another tube chassis car on offer

Posted By: rebel

another tube chassis car on offer - 04/11/17 08:29 AM

i was looking at a tube chassis car, see other post, & last night i get a call from another racer wanting to sell me this car. This car is finished & has been running 7.5's so i only have to swap in my motor, build a set of headers & we have a runner. I'm still going to check out the first car as its cheaper but whats on offer with this car looks like its a no brainer to buy. what do you think?

Attached picture 20170411_175133_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20170411_174926_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20170411_175146_resized.jpg

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/11/17 08:44 AM

Attached picture 20170411_174852_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20170411_175155_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20170411_175000_resized.jpg
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/11/17 12:57 PM

Tig welds throughout, so I'm guessing C/M. Can't see how the suspension components are mounted to the chassis. There are no diagonals in the floor the way SFI specs them out, but still, at discretion of inspector. Has this car been certified before? Looks like a nice piece. Much better than the other one you were looking at.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/11/17 05:27 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't tackle the first car if I got it for free. This car looks MUCH better. It's complete, running, I assume sorted out and will save you much time, grief and money. The $64,000 question is does it have a current 25.4 or better tag on it? Or will the owner get it tagged or guarantee it to pass? If the answer to those questions is no, I would pass on this one as well. No tag = worthless unless you just want to run outlaw tracks.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/11/17 06:19 PM

Much, much better! I agree with post above, make sure it will certify.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/11/17 08:59 PM

That is Dalton Bohnets old Cuda. Raced it for many years in Northern California. It is a good car and if this price is right be a bit of a no brainer for me.

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/12/17 01:03 AM

I couldn't tell you who owned it before. It's been down under for about 5 years now. It's legal down here to run 7's but I'll be running 8's NA.

Attached picture 6375321.jpg
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/12/17 01:52 AM

Nice car
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/12/17 06:10 PM

I know who owned it before smile That was not a question but a statement. The previous owner WAS Dalton Bohnet, ran the care with a B1 for years in NorCal. Grill is a vinyl copy of a photo as are the door handles..

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/12/17 09:49 PM

you're right Al, this car was a B1 engined beast when it first came here, was running mid 8's all day. it's currently a blown hemi running mid 7's. it looks a very well constructed car. if i buy this one it'll get a real makeover & be unrecognisable by the time i finish & take it racing.

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/24/17 11:28 PM

well i bought this one. i dug out a Harwood cowl that i'll use to cover the hole the blown hemi poked out of. I have my sponsors signwriter/painter coming over later today to discuss the color change & get ideas for the logos. This is an awesome car but a real b!tch to get in n out of the pilots chair.

Attached picture 20170424_214355-1.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/24/17 11:39 PM

Good to see that you picked it up.. I think
over all you will be happy with it.. except for
the getting in and out.. LOL.. what will you end
up certing it to... good luck with it up
wave
Posted By: killermopar

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/24/17 11:49 PM

I like to see things work out. That's awesome.

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/25/17 12:26 AM

I'm just going to fit my existing motor for the time being Mr P, once i've got a handle on everything i'll fit dome pistons on my engine & go to methanol if i haven't found a procharger kit for it by then. so it'll run 8's for the next few years but thats fast enough on a budget.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/25/17 12:39 AM

Great car! You made the proper choice mate! Dahlton was quite the character and was a US foreign diplomat. He once shipped a 340, 4-speed, '70 'Cuda to South Africa where he was assigned around 1972. He had to have it lifted and put mud tires on it to drive it there as there were hardly any paved roads! He drove the hell out of it and left it there when he was reassigned! His love for Mopars and especially 'Cudas really shows in your car. He had a blast every time he took it out!
I'm sure you will overcome the getting in and out part. Hopefully you go lots of rounds so you'll have plenty of practice!

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/25/17 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By rebel
I'm just going to fit my existing motor for the time being Mr P, once i've got a handle on everything i'll fit dome pistons on my engine & go to methanol if i haven't found a procharger kit for it by then. so it'll run 8's for the next few years but thats fast enough on a budget.

Got ya
wave
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/25/17 01:54 AM

"This is an awesome car but a real b!tch to get in n out of the pilots chair."

Welcome to going fast! smile

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/25/17 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
Great car! You made the proper choice mate! Dahlton was quite the character and was a US foreign diplomat.
that would explain this on the back window

Attached picture 20170424_213957.jpg

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/25/17 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
Great car! You made the proper choice mate! Dahlton was quite the character and was a US foreign diplomat.
that would explain this on the back window

LOL... that sure would.. with red white and blue
I would guess a US diplomat
wave
Posted By: ProSport

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/25/17 04:01 AM

Cool car Rebel!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/25/17 02:49 PM

I like it!!!!!
Posted By: rb446

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/25/17 03:36 PM

nice car, here's something almost identical thats run over here>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XyT00GC1HE

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/26/17 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By rb446

yep seen that one. considering changing the rear wing on my one to match that one. That car is cool.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/26/17 10:17 PM

Looks nice from the photos shown here!
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/27/17 04:02 AM

Yep I know that car well also, very nice car Dalton was a gem to pit with and a great guy. Congrats on the car, some were I have videos of it running with the blower from the last owner........His first name was Reese I believe.

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/27/17 06:01 AM

Yes Rhys was I guy I bought it off. He was running a blown Hemi in the 7's. Watch this space, when I'm finished with it you won't recognise it.

Attached picture 0N0A1801.jpg
Posted By: Tig

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/27/17 11:42 AM

yep seen that one. considering changing the rear wing on my one to match that one. That car is cool.

Car belongs to Eric Monsénégo from France, it's currently being upgraded to run in Pro-Mod.
Awesome buy Rebel up

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/27/17 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By Tig

Car belongs to Eric Monsénégo from France, it's currently being upgraded to run in Pro-Mod.
Awesome buy Rebel up

Hey Tig, I don't know how often you see this car but can you flick me some pics of the rear wing next time you get close to it. I want to see how it's all mounted up. The pics I found on Google don't show enough detail. Cheers.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/27/17 01:08 PM

Hey Tig, I don't know how often you see this car but can you flick me some pics of the rear wing next time you get close to it. I want to see how it's all mounted up. The pics I found on Google don't show enough detail. Cheers.

Can I get some of those pics, too, please. I'm looking for ideas for a wing on my Cuda, also. Thanks.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/27/17 05:12 PM

A few years ago when traveling in France I stopped in to meet Eric and see his 'Cuda. At that time it was the fastest door slammer in France knocking at the 7's door . Since then Eric has completely torn the car to pieces to convert it to a pro mod . Haven't heard any thing from him or the project for a long while . From what I recall, the rear spoiler side panels besides being extremely long and I thought pretty cool were just held on with a couple of small " L " brackets that were bolted through the top of the rear quarters to the inside so they really were/t that noticeable. To tie the wing to the sides ,duze fasteners were used. Pretty slick. See in the video { if you stop it } 4 seconds in. Myself along with others might be putting something like it on their 70's 'Cudas. If you Google Vantasic Cuda you'll get more pictures of Eric's Cuda plus a whole lot more.
Posted By: Tig

Re: another tube chassis car on offer - 04/27/17 06:14 PM

Hi Rebel,SGCuda.
I haven't seen the car out for a couple of seasons but like rowin4 says there's plenty of pics if you Google for it, as it was and how it's progressing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums