Moparts

The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend...

Posted By: Steve1118

The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 01:43 AM

...we have recieved word that Carl "Holeshot" Schodde, who dominated doorslammer racing in the Pittsburgh / Ohio area with his "Steel City Wedge" maxie Plymouths, has passed after a long illness.

I know this leaves a big hole in northeast racing, he was extremely well thought of as an extremely tough racer, and even more importantly a terrific guy, good husband and father. His son, Carl Jr., is also one of the more outstanding people that one will ever meet. Please know that our prayers are with Carl Jr, his mom, and all involved at this hard time. I know that many of us who have suffered loss realize what a tough, hard time this is.

God Bless.

Attached picture 5038276-SteelCityWedgepaintbyGregcirca1974.jpg
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 01:47 AM

RIP...
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 02:20 AM

Sorry to hear this steve. I knew Carl for a long,long time. One of the old Mopar greats. Prayers sent to Carls family.
Posted By: Wv68charger

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 02:26 AM

Sad R.I.P
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 02:32 AM

Posted By: sleepyhead416

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 03:01 AM

RIP I was wondering y he wasn't at the pid reunion.
Posted By: 383man

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 04:24 AM

RIP Carl. Ron
Posted By: KD800X

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 04:27 AM

Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.
Posted By: Motorwolf

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 06:04 AM

Posted By: hemiparts

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 01:12 PM

Posted By: B G Racing

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 01:18 PM

Our thoughts go out to the Shodde family.Carl was a grat person.For Carl Jr,IF we can be of any help to you in your racing efforts,just give us a call.Bob George @BGR
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 02:27 PM

We raced with Carl for years when we ran Super Stock back in the day. He was a real good guy and had a lot of fun at and away from the track. My heart felt condolences to his family.
Posted By: j oliverio

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 03:26 PM

Raced against Carl many times at Eldora in the 80's always tough. Very sorry from your freinds at old Eldora Raceway, Mountain Mopar Race Cars and the WV Hillbilly!
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 05:32 PM

Posted By: Michael

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 09:33 PM

Posted By: BloFish

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/20/09 11:35 PM

God speed
Posted By: Billet426

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/21/09 12:02 AM

Knew Carl a tiny bit back in the old days.
Nothing harder than this for sure...prayers for the family.

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/21/09 03:13 AM

I know I admired him immensely, for all types of reasons.

In the few times I saw him after he became ill, it just tore me up inside. I pray for his family, and admire his son Carl Jr. immensely as well. That young man has sacrificed a lot over the past few years to take care of his mom and dad, which is a testament to the job they did in raising him.

There was a period of time, back around 68 or 69, when Carl went undefeated for thirteen straight weeks at three different drag strips, Keystone, PID, and Quaker City. I was hanging with my cousin, who owned the "Lucifer" Hemi Dodge out of Ohio and everyone was doing things short of throwing nails in Carl's path to beat him. Nothing worked. This is a pic of the restored car, wearing the original lettering which is the way it looked at that time. In this shot, that is Carl Jr. behind the wheel, with his dad next to him.

Put in a good word for me, Carl. I'd sure appreciate it.

Attached picture 5040774-SteelCityWedge,youngCarltakingdadforaride.jpg
Posted By: KD800X

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/21/09 04:21 AM

Quote:

I know I admired him immensely, for all types of reasons.

In the few times I saw him after he became ill, it just tore me up inside. I pray for his family, and admire his son Carl Jr. immensely as well. That young man has sacrificed a lot over the past few years to take care of his mom and dad, which is a testament to the job they did in raising him.

There was a period of time, back around 68 or 69, when Carl went undefeated for thirteen straight weeks at three different drag strips, Keystone, PID, and Quaker City. I was hanging with my cousin, who owned the "Lucifer" Hemi Dodge out of Ohio and everyone was doing things short of throwing nails in Carl's path to beat him. Nothing worked. This is a pic of the restored car, wearing the original lettering which is the way it looked at that time. In this shot, that is Carl Jr. behind the wheel, with his dad next to him.

Put in a good word for me, Carl. I'd sure appreciate it.

Steve,

was that picture taken at Sunset?
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/21/09 05:27 AM

Quote:

Steve,

was that picture taken at Sunset?

That's most definitely Sunset. That pic was from the 2006 Reunion race they had. The SCW was brought in on a flatbed.

It really is a shame that Carl passed away. When I first heard he had Alzheimer's, I was shocked.

RIP Mr. Schodde.
Posted By: sleepyhead416

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/21/09 12:56 PM

I haven't seen any arrangements in the paper's ?

Re: The passing of a Pittsburgh area legend... - 02/21/09 01:27 PM

It's in this morning's PPG.
© 2024 Moparts Forums