Moparts

727 thrust washer trouble(again)

Posted By: 67_Satellite

727 thrust washer trouble(again) - 02/27/17 01:41 AM

Anyone have any idea why this thrust washer is destroyed again? It's between the input and output shafts in my 727.Was .060" thick. It did it last year but was accompanied by a delayed 2-3 upshift.This time I took it apart to put a steel front drum in, and found schrapnel in the filter.Shifts were normal on the last drive of the year. http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/FriedDonuts/trans%20thrust%20failure_zpsl1q2h4sv.jpg
Posted By: jwb123

Re: 727 thrust washer trouble(again) - 02/27/17 01:54 AM

My best advice is look for an endplay problem. Like maybe the input shaft is bottoming in the converter? Or the geartrain endplay too loose and it is hammering the washer out. The newer trans have a fiber washer in that spot, the older ones a metal washer. I try to use a metal washer when I rebuild them.

Re: 727 thrust washer trouble(again) - 02/27/17 02:07 AM

I checked for driveshaft pushing on the output last time and saw no evidence of it on the end of shaft.Endplay total was at .080" ish if I remember right.How should I check for input bottoming in converter?
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 727 thrust washer trouble(again) - 02/27/17 02:12 AM

I have beat that thrust washer out before. Lost high gear one time.

I use the bearing and washers from A&A now. You have to take .060 off a shaft to make room for it, but it puts that issue to bed.

I think I beat mine out by manual shifting on the street. Winding it up in low, then snapping it when it went into second.
Posted By: GY3

Re: 727 thrust washer trouble(again) - 02/27/17 03:07 AM

I always use a bronze thrust washer.

Were you using the fiber one? I had one explode in a street car and bind up the clutch pack. 15 cent part and had to r&r the trans... rant

Re: 727 thrust washer trouble(again) - 02/27/17 03:29 AM

It was a bronze one.I'm just trying to figure out what would generate that much thrust pressure. The end of the output and the bottom of the driveshaft yoke show no signs of contact at all.Could a converter push rearward that hard.It only began after I took out the antique 11" Fairbanks 2200 stall and put in the dynamic 9 1/2". Might shortening the front end of the input be a solution? I have access to a lathe at work.Turning the nose back .070 or .080 wouldn't be that hard.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 727 thrust washer trouble(again) - 02/27/17 03:59 PM

If you believe that the converter was being pushed back that far, make sure that you check your front pump. I have one in the shop right now that had the converter pushed back too far. It ruined the pump and we had to have the housing machined to get the grooves out.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 727 thrust washer trouble(again) - 02/27/17 04:56 PM

My builder Darryl Parks uses thrust bearings and are in mine now going on a year beating spree............
© 2024 Moparts Forums