Moparts

Perfect match

Posted By: Old School

Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:15 AM

588 cubic inches. 950 horsepower, 860 foot pounds of torque, and a passon 5 speed Overdrive. All of this is going in my 68 Cuda Fastback. Streetcar should be a badass ride!

Attached picture KIMG0343.jpg

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:17 AM

More

Attached picture KIMG0344.jpg

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:18 AM

Last..

Attached picture KIMG0342.jpg

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:21 AM

The car that it's going in. Has a Hemi Denny Coil over front suspension. Moser 3.73 Dana 60...

Attached picture IMG_2532_resize_2.jpg
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:30 AM

Time to buy stock in whatever tire company you are running!
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:30 AM

sure hope you got plenty set in the savings for tire replacement as you are going to need it, LOL up
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:34 AM

I believe the term Badass is the perfect description

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:37 AM

Dyno sheet for the motor

Attached picture Screenshot_2016-08-01-11-31-46.png

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:40 AM

I tried 2 intake combos. The top graph is a 440 3x and a 1350 dominator. The bottom one is a Mopar 337 intake an 850 double Pumper. That power really falls off with that 337 manifold!

Attached picture Screenshot_2016-08-01-11-32-07.png
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:41 AM

up up up up up up up
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:51 AM

You have 5 cars and your smallest motor is 500 inches, I love it! up

I know it has a lot of cubes at 588, but how did you reach 950hp with a street combo? Lots of compression and camshaft? What do the heads flow?

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By ProSport
You have 5 cars and your smallest motor is 500 inches, I love it! up

I know it has a lot of cubes at 588, but how did you reach 950hp with a street combo? Lots of compression and camshaft? What do the heads flow?

14.1 cr
290@.050/.800"

the heads flowed 405 cfm..

love the big motors!!
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 04:21 AM

From what the whole lot shows, somebody loves three pedals.
Gonna be a handful.
Like some have told me before, apply your registration/inspection stickers on your side door windows cause that's the direction the car will be pointed at in forward motion. LOL.

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 04:41 AM

I hope it is light. Anybody want to guess what they think it will weigh? things I have done to make it light:

aluminum block
fiberglass: hood, bumpers, deck lid
lightweight bumper brackets
hemi denny coil over
light weight disc brakes front and rear
Posted By: dvw

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 04:52 AM

Need a test driver?
Doug

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 05:05 AM

2950 LBS.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 05:14 AM

3106lbs.

Pray for the 5spd and clutch

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 05:22 AM

Clutch is a distant memory.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 05:30 AM

Wow thats an awesome setup. boogie And I do like fast 68 Cuda's. What heads are they if you dont mind me asking. Thats gonna be a killer car. up Ron
Posted By: charger410

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 06:23 AM

For a 6 pack beer, I'll take first drive and make sure it shifts right!
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 06:39 AM

What clutch?
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 09:20 AM

Nice. That body style looks good without the front bumper. Might remove mine as well.

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
I have zero concerns about the clutch. It's a McLeod dual disk. Same one I run in all my cars. The other cars are a lot heavier and with a higher gear ratio. These clutches are almost bulletproof I have one that is over 20 years old without being touched!πŸ‘πŸ‘

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By mopar dave
Nice. That body style looks good without the front bumper. Might remove mine as well.
I just haven't finished them yet. Trying to think about the Finish whether I want body color paint silver or maybe try plastic Chrome

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By 383man
Wow thats an awesome setup. boogie And I do like fast 68 Cuda's. What heads are they if you dont mind me asking. Thats gonna be a killer car. up Ron
thanks Ron I appreciate it! It has indy 572-13 heads. Larry Smith did the port work on the heads and intake. he got them up to 405 CFM
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:23 PM

Im thinking body color or no bumper on front.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:32 PM

nice build!!
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:38 PM

I'm jealous up

Mine weighs 2900# with a dry sump,25.5 cage and all steel except hood & bumpers albeit with a glide and 9" !!

Attached picture Fish Dragzine.jpg

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 03:42 PM

[quote=Gary Robbins]I'm jealous up

Mine weighs 2900# with a dry sump,25.5 cage and all steel except hood & bumpers albeit with a glide and 9" !! [/quote

what wheels are those Gary those are awesome?

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 04:33 PM

I'm thinking that with a Dana, the weight goes up a tad, then it makes up with the lighter coil over suspension up front.
If you have an all steel body with the exception of bumpers and or hood and factoring in that an all aluminum big block motor is about as light as an all iron small block, aluminum passion tranny and a seemingly lightweight bell housing, you'll end up in the 2950 pound range more or less.
Anyway, love the build and I LOVE STICK cars all together.

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By Old School

Mine weighs 2900# with a dry sump,25.5 cage and all steel except hood & bumpers albeit with a glide and 9" !! [/quote

http://www.championbillet.com/black-stripster-15x3-5-front-wheel/

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 05:38 PM

I'm also liking the new Win Lite series from Billet Specialties !

http://www.billetspecialties.com/wheels/win-lite/
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 11:37 PM

Great build! You should be happy with that.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Perfect match - 02/16/17 11:51 PM

What will you be running for rear tires on the street?

Light car, big engine, clutch... sounds like a tough combination to actually generate any forward motion under full throttle.

drive
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Perfect match - 02/17/17 12:39 AM

eek eek
That'll be a RIDE...
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Perfect match - 02/17/17 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By BradH
What will you be running for rear tires on the street?

Light car, big engine, clutch... sounds like a tough combination to actually generate any forward motion under full throttle.

drive
I am not seeing a cage in the pic. Methinks traction might twist the car up pretty good without one.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Perfect match - 02/17/17 08:01 AM

Brian
Very nice looking setup. I might have to come back to the beach for a test ride. Somehow I think your passenger seat might become a popular place soon.
Todd

Re: Perfect match - 02/17/17 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By sasquatch
Brian
Very nice looking setup. I might have to come back to the beach for a test ride. Somehow I think your passenger seat might become a popular place soon.
Todd

Todd a big thanks to you! That is one beautiful motor you built for me. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Perfect match - 02/17/17 03:55 PM

That is gonna be one badazz car!
Posted By: 383man

Re: Perfect match - 02/18/17 04:42 AM

Originally Posted By 383man
thanks Ron I appreciate it! It has indy 572-13 heads. Larry Smith did the port work on the heads and intake. he got them up to 405 CFM

Thank you for the info. wave I have seen pics of Larry's work on facebook and his work looks awesome. Good luck with everything in that beast !! drive Ron

Re: Perfect match - 02/18/17 06:06 PM

14.1 cr
290@.050/.800"

Just your basic 93-octane "street car", right?

Still waiting to hear what type & size of tires you're planning to use on the street.

Oh, any intentions of taking it to the track on occasion?

Re: Perfect match - 02/18/17 06:21 PM

14.1 cr
290@.050/.800"

Just your basic 93-octane "street car", right?

Still waiting to hear what type & size of tires you're planning to use on the street.

Oh, any intentions of taking it to the track on occasion?

Now it has 275 60 r15 drag radials on it. I think I can get a little bit bigger tire in it.

I'm hoping the lightweight will help somewhat with traction.

I'm sure I will take it to the track sooner or later. but really I just built it to be a street car.

Also all my "street cars"require race gas😁😁
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Perfect match - 02/18/17 06:32 PM

NICE !

Question; What did you use for attaching your breathers on the valve covers ? ( i am doing a 500" INDY motor and need to drill my valve covers and curious what you did with yours,,baffles also ? )

Did you have to use a "smaller" MSD distributor ( same issue,, curious how it clears the INDY covers )

thanks,,,NICE car and motor,
Doug wink
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Perfect match - 02/18/17 07:34 PM

I think you should have milled off the brand name from the intake like you (and I) did with the valve covers. Nice fish, and it shoulld be a real blast to drive.

Re: Perfect match - 02/18/17 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By Airwoofer
I think you should have milled off the brand name from the intake like you (and I) did with the valve covers. Nice fish, and it shoulld be a real blast to drive.

Yes I am not a fan of Indy either! All my other junk is indy also, so I'm trying to keep everything compatible...

Re: Perfect match - 02/18/17 07:59 PM

Now it has 275 60 r15 drag radials on it. I think I can get a little bit bigger tire in it.

I guess you must love a challenge. I don't think you'll be able to tell whether the road is wet or dry w/ that combination. tonguue

Re: Perfect match - 02/18/17 09:22 PM

I guess you must love a challenge. I don't think you'll be able to tell whether the road is wet or dry w/ that combination. tonguue

I'm not scared. It's nothing that I'm not used to with all the other Cars too😁😁

Re: Perfect match - 02/19/17 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By 69CHARGERMD
NICE !

Question; What did you use for attaching your breathers on the valve covers ? ( i am doing a 500" INDY motor and need to drill my valve covers and curious what you did with yours,,baffles also ? )

Did you have to use a "smaller" MSD distributor ( same issue,, curious how it clears the INDY covers )

thanks,,,NICE car and motor,
Doug wink

Thanks Doug I appreciate it. The regular MSD Pro Billet distributor works with the Indy valve covers no problem. I use these Mr Gasket grommets with the breathers. Theese grommets do not require any baffles.

Attached picture Screenshot_2017-02-18-17-20-39.png
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Perfect match - 02/19/17 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
I have zero concerns about the clutch. It's a McLeod dual disk. Same one I run in all my cars. The other cars are a lot heavier and with a higher gear ratio. These clutches are almost bulletproof I have one that is over 20 years old without being touched!πŸ‘πŸ‘

Here are a couple pictures of the dual disc setup that I mentioned in the PM.

Attached picture DSC_0699 (Large).JPG
Attached picture Twin.jpg
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Perfect match - 02/19/17 09:57 PM

How is that clutch for grabbing with solid hubs in the disks?

Not sure if it's related but when they went to ceramic disks on big trucks in the late 70's they had solid hubs. The clutch pedal might as well have been a toggle switch. They went to torsion springs in the hubs.

Kevin

Re: Perfect match - 02/20/17 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By Twostick
How is that clutch for grabbing with solid hubs in the disks?

Not sure if it's related but when they went to ceramic disks on big trucks in the late 70's they had solid hubs. The clutch pedal might as well have been a toggle switch. They went to torsion springs in the hubs.

Kevin

I use that same clutch in all the cars. they engage very smooth. I think it has to do with the middle plate....
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Perfect match - 02/20/17 03:01 AM

All your cars are equipped with a stick shift? You are my hero.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Perfect match - 02/22/17 04:57 PM

So cool, my friend!

Larry and Todd are awesome to work with, they are both friends of my buddy Hollis Page ( HpEngines)

Any dyno sheets on the intake comparison? Pretty amazed the little 337 still made as much as it did as high up as it did on THAT BIG 588" MOTOR!

Just wanted to see at what RPM the big indy started to really walk the dog on it.
Posted By: twayne24365

Re: Perfect match - 02/22/17 06:15 PM

how do you like the QuickTime bell?
I have one for my big block dart and was wondering if there are any problems as far as the fitment an linkage set up?

Re: Perfect match - 02/22/17 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By Streetwize
So cool, my friend!

Larry and Todd are awesome to work with, they are both friends of my buddy Hollis Page ( HpEngines)

Any dyno sheets on the intake comparison? Pretty amazed the little 337 still made as much as it did as high up as it did on THAT BIG 588" MOTOR!

Just wanted to see at what RPM the big indy started to really walk the dog on it.

Hey Bobby! I posted the dyno sheet for the two manifolds on the first page of this post. I'll see if I can post it again. On my motor it still made 850 horsepower with the 337 manifold. It may have made more with a bigger 4150 carb. Todd only had an 850 double pumper at Dyno Time. On the dyno sheet the two top lines are the Dominator and the two bottom lines are the 850 double Pumper. Look how dramatically the power falls off with the 337 manifold....

Attached picture Screenshot_2016-08-01-11-31-46.png

Re: Perfect match - 02/23/17 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By twayne24365
I have one for my big block dart and was wondering if there are any problems as far as the fitment an linkage set up?
man don't get me started on this QuickTime bellhousing. All my other cars use a Lakewood bellhousing which has no problems. This is my first QuickTime bellhousing I mainly got it because it's half the weight of a Lakewood. For starters none of the front bearing retainer adapter rings are even close to being correct. I had to get their engineering department to custom make me one. The bolt kit is not complete like the lakewood is. I have not had a chance to mock up the linkage yet when I do I will post results. So far though not really impressed with it. But it is lighter!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Perfect match - 02/23/17 12:46 AM

Yeah I bought a QT bellhousing for one build since it was lightweight but I never used it. The fit and finish was nice and it was super lightweight but the starter mount seemed funky to me and I had issues with how the clutch linkage mounted up so down the road it went. I think they are more of a circle track race car bellhousing than a street/strip kind of thing.
Posted By: twayne24365

Re: Perfect match - 02/23/17 01:15 AM

thanks for the info Andy and old school, I look forward to seeing your results....mine will be going in very shortly!
Posted By: Saskabusa

Re: Perfect match - 02/23/17 07:00 AM

man don't get me started on this QuickTime bellhousing. All my other cars use a Lakewood bellhousing which has no problems. This is my first QuickTime bellhousing I mainly got it because it's half the weight of a Lakewood. For starters none of the front bearing retainer adapter rings are even close to being correct. I had to get their engineering department to custom make me one. The bolt kit is not complete like the lakewood is. I have not had a chance to mock up the linkage yet when I do I will post results. So far though not really impressed with it. But it is lighter!

My brother used one in his Charger, a 6.1 with a tremec, as part of a keisler kit. When we went to install the trans onto the bell housing we ran into the same bearing retainer problem.

Keisler told him the transmission bolts would line up the transmission and not to worry. When he contacted Quicktime they were unconcerned about the lack of a properly centred bearing retainer. We had a local machinist make a adapter ring to go onto the transmission.

The starter was also a problem no real way to properly locate the starter like a stock bell housing. Just trial and error until you find the right spot and hope the starter bolts stay tight. i don't like them at all.

I never found much feedback about quicktime on this site, I always wondered if others had problems with them as well.

Is a Lakewood much better?

Re: Perfect match - 02/23/17 07:15 AM

Originally Posted By Saskabusa

My brother used one in his Charger, a 6.1 with a tremec, as part of a keisler kit. When we went to install the trans onto the bell housing we ran into the same bearing retainer problem.

Keisler told him the transmission bolts would line up the transmission and not to worry. When he contacted Quicktime they were unconcerned about the lack of a properly centred bearing retainer. We had a local machinist make a adapter ring to go onto the transmission.

The starter was also a problem no real way to properly locate the starter like a stock bell housing. Just trial and error until you find the right spot and hope the starter bolts stay tight. i don't like them at all.

I never found much feedback about quicktime on this site, I always wondered if others had problems with them as well.

Is a Lakewood much better?

I think it is much better and also twice as heavy

Re: Perfect match - 03/21/17 02:24 AM

Getting a little bit closer!!

Attached picture KIMG0392.jpg
Attached picture KIMG0395.jpg

Description: Ton of room!!!
Attached picture KIMG0393.jpg
Attached picture KIMG0394.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Perfect match - 03/21/17 02:28 AM

It looks like the exhaust pipes are going to be fun to make whistling
Good luck thumbs

Re: Perfect match - 03/21/17 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
It looks like the exhaust pipes are going to be fun to make whistling
Good luck thumbs

I have a guy that is looking forward to it. Really with the coil over suspension, I looks like there is a lot of room....
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Perfect match - 03/21/17 06:03 AM

I know all about very little room... and this side
has all the room(I had to move the engine 1" to the
right)
wave

Attached picture DSC00189.JPG
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Perfect match - 03/21/17 07:49 AM

heck it looks like it grew there......Todd
Posted By: rumblefish72

Re: Perfect match - 03/21/17 02:00 PM

If someone starts another thread on the Quicktime Bell housing, I'll post my experience converting from a Lakewood to a Quicktime in my 'Cuda. I documented the whole process and have pictures and weights. I ran into all of the problems mentioned so far and a few extra ones for good measure. The thought of shaving a few pounds hooked me but it was a headache to convert and I'm still chasing down the last issues (I hope).

Re: Perfect match - 03/21/17 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By rumblefish72

If someone starts another thread on the Quicktime Bell housing, I'll post my experience converting from a Lakewood to a Quicktime in my 'Cuda. I documented the whole process and have pictures and weights. I ran into all of the problems mentioned so far and a few extra ones for good measure. The thought of shaving a few pounds hooked me but it was a headache to convert and I'm still chasing down the last issues (I hope).
rumblefish72 l would love to hear about your experience with the quicktime bellhousing. I could add my experience to it too...

Re: Perfect match - 03/22/17 08:56 PM

Everything is fitting nice. Even around the z-bar clutch linkage. Ton of Room for headers! Recap: 588" 950 HP 860 TQ hoping for round 3000 pounds....

Attached picture KIMG0402.jpg
Attached picture IMG_6683.jpg
Attached picture KIMG0401.jpg

Re: Perfect match - 04/29/17 02:25 AM

Getting even closer! At the exhaust shop getting custom stainless exhaust.2 1/8 to 2 1/4" with 3 1/2"collectors. Then three and a half inch into some Dynomax ultraflows. And 3 1/2" tailpipes out the back.

Re: Perfect match - 04/29/17 02:30 AM

This is the tight passenger side done. Look at all that room around the spark plugs! I will have better plug access with this car, then any of my B bodies or E bodies

Attached picture KIMG0433.jpg
Attached picture KIMG0431.jpg
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Perfect match - 04/29/17 05:25 AM

I don't know if it is just the pictures, but I don't like the tube angle going into the exhaust flanges. I understand that it is a tight fit, but it seems to be creating a very tight angle.

Re: Perfect match - 04/29/17 01:45 PM

It is a little bit of a tight angle. I don't see any other way to get that large of a tube or the spark plug Clearence and drop down under the chassis. It is definitely a compromise with this tight engine bay, kind of like a low Port EZ head is. It still is a good size tube...
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Perfect match - 04/29/17 05:53 PM

Looks great and will be a hand full on the street which is half the fun............ beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums