Moparts

Project big block a body headers.

Posted By: mikeysmopars

Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 05:02 AM

Well after getting my engine rebuilt last year and changed everything from the transmission tunnel forward including a Bob's profab tube front end I ran my original 1 7/8" hooker fender wells which obviously left room for improvement, bought a set of Mazzolini/Tti Proparts 2 1/8 stepped headers and ended up going 2 tenths quicker with only a header change and bumping the timing from 36 to 38. Only problem was I hate in chassis headers so my quest to get some fender well headers made that would breathe and somewhat easy to work on. Some of the members here recommended RMS in Arizona which I was seriously concidering but a friend told me of a local guy. Went to check out his work and ended up having him make me a set. I cut my firewall to sink them back and as soon as I get them boxed in I'll shoot some pix of it finished but here are a couple of them after coating.
Go ahead with your thoughts.

Attached picture IMG_20170208_181507892-800x600.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20170208_180744931-800x600.jpg
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 05:24 AM

Very very nice, how long are they ?

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 05:36 AM

To the collector they are about 63"
He used 572 flanges and made them from 16 guage pipe. 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 to 4" collectors. They are heavy but I can work on every aspect of the car without removing them.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 05:41 AM

Pretty sweet welds.

Attached picture IMG_20170208_193733216-600x800.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20170208_193745217-600x800.jpg
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 01:42 PM

Looks good! My next project will have those V-band clamps, not sure what I'm doing wrong with my Walker band clamps but they keep crimping my pipes even when I oil them.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 04:10 PM

Have you tried to put them in the car yet?Did you think about putting a slip tube fit splitting the length?
Posted By: moparx

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By ProSport
Looks good! My next project will have those V-band clamps, not sure what I'm doing wrong with my Walker band clamps but they keep crimping my pipes even when I oil them.

do you have a pic on how the crimp looks ?
beer

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 05:01 PM

No I do not. I'll take a pic next time, seems to do it on the butt joint and lap joint band clamps.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By Clanton
Have you tried to put them in the car yet?Did you think about putting a slip tube fit splitting the length?

They were built on the car and I didn't want slip tubes. as big as these are they come out one piece. I had to cut into the firewall to have them go back far enough for a 26" tall front runner and I'm boxing them in as we speak. I'll send more pix after they are done.

Attached picture lh headers.jpg
Attached picture rh header.jpg
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 10:28 PM

That would make for an interesting dyno test.

As i recall......On a mid-600hp 493, 2" Hooker fenderwells were down about 35hp to my dyno headers.
63" is going to tune to a pretty low rpm.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By mikeysmopars
Pretty sweet welds.
Mike those are crazy long..👓

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 10:39 PM

Side when I picked it up.

Attached picture Screenshot_20170209-115059-600x1067.png
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth

As i recall......On a mid-600hp 493, 2" Hooker fenderwells were down about 35hp to my dyno headers.

Yep I agree... those are WAY to long to match
the engine
wave
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 11:02 PM

I'd love to have a set made like the stahl or proparts but better suited to fit my car. Having to modify my headers now so that I can get to the shock adjustment knob.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/09/17 11:02 PM

iagree As soon as I saw 63", your old dyno tests with the longer headers came into my mind. Said , oh no, maybe not so good.

Edit; ok, I see they are 2"1/8 to 2"1/4 pretty quick. That might be just fine. 2"1/4 is pretty huge, it may want that 63" This would make a dyno test pretty interesting as stated.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 12:02 AM

Originally Posted By Sport440

iagree As soon as I saw 63", your old dyno tests with the longer headers came into my mind. Said , oh no, not so good.

Going to run in two weeks so I have no choice but to run them and if it hurts my ET my plan is too have him shorten them like the headman hustler style headers which would take about 12 to 14 inches out of them but put the collector right in the firewall. If it actually gains from my last outing im gonna leave them alone.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 12:07 AM

You made what you wanted,looks good.My collector slips on at the frame level so a good 20 shorter than yours.You could always cut your down.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 12:21 AM

iagree As soon as I saw 63", your old dyno tests with the longer headers came into my mind. Said , oh no, maybe not so good.

Edit; ok, I see they are 2"1/8 to 2"1/4 pretty quick. That might be just fine. 2"1/4 is pretty huge, it may want that 63" This would make a dyno test pretty interesting as stated.

No way... they are way too long... have you EVER seen
a 63" long primary tube header.. then add the collector..
that guy made them fit to what the guy wanted.. way out
of spec for the engine
EDIT
How long is the collector
wave

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 12:37 AM

iagree As soon as I saw 63", your old dyno tests with the longer headers came into my mind. Said , oh no, not so good.

Going to run in two weeks so I have no choice but to run them and if it hurts my ET my plan is too have him shorten them like the headman hustler style headers which would take about 12 to 14 inches out of them but put the collector right in the firewall. If it actually gains from my last outing im gonna leave them alone.
run it have some fun..it is to bad you were not going back to the dyno

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 01:06 AM

Read my post again, edited it 5 minutes before this post of yours. up

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 01:23 AM

I would run your engine through my program
if I was back home to tell you what you need
for a header but I know for fact that they
are way to long.. the transition on the step
is way off also... sorry but I wont be home
for a month or so
wave

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 01:28 AM

Definitely long Mike, probably the longest ive ever heard of. The 2"1/4 will be more forgiving, how much, I don't know. Its good to know he can cut 12" or more so inches off if need be. And he probably will. Be looking forward to his next outings results. work

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 01:35 AM

Definitely long Mike, probably the longest ive ever heard of. The 2"1/4 will be more forgiving, how much, I don't know. Its good to know he can cut 12" or more so inches off if need be. And he probably will. Be looking forward to his next outings results. work

Problem is that they will be a complete re-design
if he cuts any out of them... next question would
be if its a full chassis car.. that would making
changing them easier
wave
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 02:42 AM

those are some pretty welds for sure! glad you found someone close by to do the deed! be interesting to see some track data....
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 03:39 AM

I used a set of Hooker A body 1 7/8 or maybe 2.0 x 3.5 collector (CRS now) on Pettis dyno while Bob built his 2 1/4 inch primary pipe 4.0 inch collectors dyno headers back in 1991, the shorter bigger primary pipes made more HP and torque on the averages but they did hurt that motor on the dyno below 3500 RPM shruggy
I learn later on that dyno as well as other dynos that what works on the dyno doesn't always make the cars faster work shruggy
Mikey, did Jason run both fans with the dyno room doors closed or did he leave them open while doing your testing?
As far as your running them for testing look at the spark plugs as well as the time slip MPH and 60 ft. times up grin whistling Jet and time for MPH up
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By Clanton

They were built on the car and I didn't want slip tubes. as big as these are they come out one piece. I had to cut into the firewall to have them go back far enough for a 26" tall front runner and I'm boxing them in as we speak. I'll send more pix after they are done.

I've seen pipes the long on a basically stock 440 Duster, went 12.50s carrying the wheels 4 ft in the air out 50-75 ft. But my biggest question, what are those bumps-marks on the frame tubing??

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 04:15 AM

Rivets, I painted rivits on everything primer

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 04:28 AM

I'll be anxious to see your track results, especially since you've already ran some other fenderwells and underchassis headers on the car.
I honestly don't think they'll slow the car down much if any at all, and the car has to be very easy to work on the way it is set up, which I'm sure was your main goal.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 04:29 AM

Rivets, I painted rivits on everything primer

Just so you know, all those rivets will add up to a lot of weight and Slow you down... Even if there imitation rivets. laugh2

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 04:38 AM

That's the theme,. Tank! thumbs
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 11:36 AM

Here you are almost odne....and the Mazzolini/TTI's I got from you are still laying in the garage where AJ unloaded them......and the March Meet is what...20 days away?....
Glad you sold the black car to CC also....looks like I "MAY" end up with some stuff off of it.....LOL

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 04:22 PM

You better get cracking, this will be the first March Meets I participate in after just watching for over 30 years. I've never gotten to do Ron's BBQ, that's what I'm looking forward to most! What ever you get from the black Valiant with be good, that car has nice parts. I'm not 100% sure which direction Chris is going with it but I think there may be an aluminum block in that cars future work
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 07:45 PM

Good Luck and keep me posted from the track. Was thinking of heading up that way for some T&T and maybe line em up again............ luck
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 10:06 PM

Be interesting to see how they work. They are definitely long but you have enough data from other headers to compare with for sure.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/10/17 10:07 PM

You better get cracking, this will be the first March Meets I participate in after just watching for over 30 years. I've never gotten to do Ron's BBQ, that's what I'm looking forward to most! What ever you get from the black Valiant with be good, that car has nice parts. I'm not 100% sure which direction Chris is going with it but I think there may be an aluminum block in that cars future work
BBQ is friday night again.....
And headers will be BBQ black by sunday hopefully.......

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/15/17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By moparx

beer

Here's one....

Attached picture 20170215_151630.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/16/17 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By moparx

beer

Here's one....

wow ! eek i thought those band clamps were supposed to keep the pipes round for easy disassembly ? i was hoping to use those types next time instead of having to weld up every joint for v-band ones. or maybe i'll do like i did once for some tail pipes. i cut a slit about 1 1/2" long in the pipe using the thickest cutoff wheel i could find. i think it was 3/16" or maybe 1/4". then i welded two strips of 5/6"x ?? thick [i forget] on either side of the slit with two 5/16" holes in one, and 5/16-18 threads in the other. slid the pipes on and tightened the bolts. that worked good and no leaks. when it came time to remove, loosened the bolts and the joint came apart with a little effort, but the pipe[s] remained round. now i wonder if those band clamps are even worth it ?
beer

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/16/17 05:01 PM

I think I'm doing something wrong with the band clamps but I've tried Summit brand and Walker, both crimp the pipes and cause a leak. Those V-bands look like the ticket.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/20/17 06:38 AM

Here they are after getting them coated and installed. As long as they are they go in pretty easy. They sound great and was going to TNT this weekend at Famoso but stormageddin rolled through and got cancelled. Have to wait to see how they work.

Attached picture IMG_20170218_152802473_HDR-600x800.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20170218_133113697-800x600.jpg

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/20/17 06:40 AM

Another

Attached picture IMG_20170218_180417670-800x600.jpg

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/20/17 01:53 PM

That looks awesome, can't wait to see the results.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/20/17 08:20 PM

iagree
Yep! Looks awesome! Should run good too!

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/20/17 08:55 PM

Good luck when you get out!Enjoy!
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/20/17 11:53 PM

Car looks good Mike (as always). looking forward to racing with you guys at MATS coming up

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/21/17 12:43 AM

Thanks Rod! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will run better with these headers but i'll be at Vegas like always!
Posted By: deaks

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/21/17 05:13 PM

Nice headers on a nice car, what's the tyre clearance like ?
I'm about to put my 470 in, when i pull my finger out.
Mick

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/21/17 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By deaks
Nice headers on a nice car, what's the tyre clearance like ?
I'm about to put my 470 in, when i pull my finger out.
Mick

I have 26" front runners and they clear because I recessed the firewall so the header guy could push them back. sawzall

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/21/17 06:10 PM

I hope you pick up some et, i've watched your build with interest as i've got a 69 Dart with a 470 low deck with 440-1 heads, you have more power than mine though.. Ideally i'm hoping for at least 9.90's.
Mick

Attached picture 12654511_919487898119300_3146505927543384795_n.jpg

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/22/17 05:30 AM

[quote=deaks]I hope you pick up some et, i've watched your build with interest as i've got a 69 Dart with a 470 low deck with 440-1 heads, you have more power than mine though.. Ideally i'm hoping for at least 9.90's.
Mick [/quot

Nice lookin car! Mine only has 11.2 compression so 9.90s aren't hard to get to in good air. thumbs

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/22/17 04:28 PM

With tuning i see at least 9.50's in your car.
Mick

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/26/17 09:28 PM

59 degrees, decreasing clouds, 30.04 baro at 11:30 at Famoso..... should be DA right around 281ft smile hope she runs like a scalded dog Mikey!

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/27/17 06:02 PM

Well....Long a$$ weekend but I did get to the track on sunday for the Import Shootout down They has a test n tune lane which I really needed as I'm running the March Meets this week and need to start my License. we were there from 7:30 am til 6:30 pm....we got two runs. As statted I'm starting my License so all I could do is launch and shut down. The good news is after struggling with tire shake I changed the rear shocks and on the hit it stuck and got a 1.33 60 foot and I know there is still more in it. got the second run but the brake didn't set so I just foot braked it, I honestly think I was in second gear rolleyes That first launch was very encouraging so looking forward to this weeks testing. I still need 4 more runs to get certed so I should know how its going to run by Saturday!

PS...No disrespect to and Import racers here but.....You'll never catch me at another one.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/27/17 06:22 PM

The only good thing about those races is whoopin on the [censored] stuff other than that, bumble bee noise...........Good on the 1.33 and there is more just have to repeat your procedure and chip away at it. My first time back at the track after 2 years I cut a .019 1st pass and a .017 2nd pass so street racing CAN sharpen your skillzzz............ thumbs Maybe we can line em up in a few weeks at Fomoso........... luck
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/27/17 11:15 PM

[quote=
PS...No disrespect to and Import racers here but.....You'll never catch me at another one. [/quote]

I am betting there was a lot of clean up and a very tired starting line crew.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/27/17 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By Just-a-dart
[quote=
PS...No disrespect to and Import racers here but.....You'll never catch me at another one.

I am betting there was a lot of clean up and a very tired starting line crew.

[/quote]
YES ANS HELL YES!! Most every pass those guys made required all the scrubber, torch, Zamboni, mop, shovel, dry sweep and VHT they had.
First time I ever saw an online mandatory diaper for cars 11.49 and under or give the track $100 deposits. They must have made 10k just on diaper deposits biggrin
although the tower guys were picking on these guys all day for their stupidity. I ran off at least 10 different people for parking in our pits. They have absolutely no track or pit respect.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/28/17 12:13 AM

https://youtu.be/qvnmgphnMAo

hope this link works, Mike C was able to catch me from the other lane.
Posted By: killermopar

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/28/17 12:48 AM

Yeah, and they never bring all those scantily clad women with them. That's all in the movies. All it is is guys with big ego's and tiny..... Engines. Almost as bad as the LS crowd.congrats on the 60', and good luck on that license.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/28/17 12:59 AM

[quote=killermopar]Yeah, and they never bring all those scantily clad women with them.

OK.... there's one benefit for the regular crowd apimp

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/28/17 04:56 AM

Mike... I ran the Mirada at MM in 12 and was running 9.9's all weekend with no issues... or license, or chassis cert, etc. Hadn't planned on going that quick, but it's Famoso!

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/28/17 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
Mike... I ran the Mirada at MM in 12 and was running 9.9's all weekend with no issues... or license, or chassis cert, etc. Hadn't planned on going that quick, but it's Famoso!

So did I....They had a talk with me in November last year when I went 140 and 9.63 whistling

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/28/17 05:12 PM

So did I....They had a talk with me in November last year when I went 140 and 9.63 whistling

So, do you want to maybe meet up at Fomoso in a few weeks............ whistling shruggy

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/28/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart

So, do you want to maybe meet up at Fomoso in a few weeks............ whistling shruggy

Well Ya!......Gotta gimee a shot at redemption grin

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 02/28/17 09:38 PM

I'll try and make it happen and expect I will watch YOU pull away.................or not......... biggrin

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/03/17 02:36 AM

Got one good run today, I tried to get them to start my license stuff, they said they were to busy to print the paperwork, I said....OK and first run went 9.59 with 1.33 60. Second run a screwed the line lock button....Getting used to warring gloves so the burn out was bad, spun pretty bad,60 foot was 1.40. still happy with how everything turned out and got a new best.i think I heard 160 cars in hotrod, I think there's 200 +

Attached picture IMG_20170302_091603476_HDR-600x800.jpg

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/03/17 02:57 AM

The long headers appear to be working good! up

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/03/17 03:49 AM

Rotten b'**ards didn't get the feed up this am until D gas Q. Whole HR class had a banner add over the screen frown Hopefully they'll be "awake" tomorrow. Pretty good conditions watching all the sub runs in D and C gas laugh2 Wish I was there.... right around cooler and grilling time about now.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/03/17 04:41 AM

Wish I was there.... right around cooler and grilling time about now.

Getting our grill on now and maybe a whiskey sour or 2. Mike Cunningham and Mark Beavin also got new best. Our schedule says we are only getting one run tomorrow to let the fuel cars run. Anyway hoping to get a new best or at least back up today's run.

Attached picture IMG_20170302_154756874-800x600.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20170302_150710330_HDR-800x600.jpg

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/03/17 07:26 AM

Livin the high life!! get the one pass done, grab a cooler, head for the stands and watch the show!

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/03/17 07:53 AM

Got one good run today, I tried to get them to start my license stuff, they said they were to busy to print the paperwork, I said....OK and first run went 9.59 with 1.33 60. Second run a screwed the line lock button....Getting used to warring gloves so the burn out was bad, spun pretty bad,60 foot was 1.40. still happy with how everything turned out and got a new best.i think I heard 160 cars in hotrod, I think there's 200 +

Congrats on the new best et and there's still more there. Did you check the plugs and the afr's at wfo............. beer

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/03/17 06:53 PM

Congrats on the new best et and there's still more there. Did you check the plugs and the afr's at wfo............. beer [/quote]

Thanks Dom, your carb is doin it's job thumbs GoPro is charging up right now, haven't looked at the guage yet rolleyes got a hit this morning and spun a little right after the hit. 60 foot came down to 1.35 and ran a 9.64. I lifted at the stripe but the car didn't, throttle hung up for a spit second. Kicked it once and it final released. That last turnout come pretty fast now shockgoing to check the throttle cable see what's going on there. They say we only get one run today so I'll chime in again when we do.

Attached picture IMG_20170303_082551321_HDR-600x800.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20170303_083101927-800x600.jpg

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/03/17 09:40 PM

Nice pass Mike keep up the good work 👍

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/04/17 12:04 AM

will be up bright and early tomorrow to watch round 1 on Bangshift!

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/04/17 04:28 PM

Good luck!!!!

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/04/17 06:51 PM

Mikey took out a past champ round 1.

Ron (chassisman) didn't get out of bed... out round 1.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/04/17 07:44 PM

Looks like the whole central valley mopar drag pack pretty much advanced smile

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/04/17 08:57 PM

HELL YA guys............... penguin punkrocka
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/04/17 09:36 PM

Mopars to the staging lanes 😎
Posted By: MoParFish

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/05/17 12:02 AM

Looks like the whole central valley mopar drag pack pretty much advanced smile

Well yeah! Did ya think we just came here to party??? Well mostly laugh2

Ran a new best of 10.18 Thursday and best 60ft this morning at 1.40...

Attached picture tmp_12503-20170303_194658-1008x7561461566891.jpg

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/05/17 03:08 AM

up up

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/05/17 06:24 PM

Sunday isn't looking to good so far. Started at 7:30 this morning. Hope this is the worst of it luck

Attached picture IMG_20170305_073631281_HDR-600x800.jpg

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/05/17 06:43 PM

reminder to self: take Monday off next year too. Seems to never fail.

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/05/17 06:52 PM

Sunday isn't looking to good so far. Started at 7:30 this morning. Hope this is the worst of it luck

Suckz about the weather but congrats on kickin azz and takin names........... bow beer penguin Did you check the plugs and get some up the track afr readings?

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/05/17 06:54 PM

I did GoPro my last run, downloading it now. I'll get some info asap Dom.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/05/17 07:03 PM

Your picture reminds of the last time I raced at Famosa 5 or 6yrs ago in the fall whiney
I'm glad to see the Golden state getting more rain and snow that it needs, fill them reservoirs up up

Re: Project big block a body headers. - 03/05/17 07:45 PM

I did GoPro my last run, downloading it now. I'll get some info asap Dom.

thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums