Moparts

Caltac set up

Posted By: scottb

Caltac set up - 02/05/17 03:38 AM

Looking at up grading to a caltrac set up will be moving the springs in with the mp relocation kit I was wondering what front segment are you running the stock 20 inch or the 22 inch the car is a 71 duster have heard of some running the 25 inch spring thanks for the help
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By scottb
Looking at up grading to a caltrac set up will be moving the springs in with the mp relocation kit I was wondering what front segment are you running the stock 20 inch or the 22 inch the car is a 71 duster have heard of some running the 25 inch spring thanks for the help

25" here but guys have flown w/the stock 20"............
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 07:02 AM

digby has been in the 4's with the 20
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 03:39 PM

25" here also. You can make the 20" work but I think the 25" is easier to get work. Look into the slider mount for the rear of the spring instead of the factory shackles also.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 04:18 PM

How quick is the car? The faster the car, the more it could use the long length.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 04:28 PM

If you do use sliders,buy them from Calvert.The speedways are made in China,the Affcos don" have the right hardware for caltrac springs.

Attached picture 5.31.15 023.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 04:40 PM

Quote:
the Affcos don" have the right hardware for caltrac springs.

Can you explain that please.

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 04:56 PM

If you choose to go with sliders,just get then from Calvert.Speedway has the Chinese knock offs that look like Afco.Afco also offers the USA make one at twice the price of the knock offs.I bought the Afco USA ones and the hardware is for MOPAR S/S springs which have a different size spring eye than the Calvert.So I had to buy the bearings & sleeves from Calvert.

Attached picture 4.7.15 005.jpg
Attached picture 5.31.15 023.jpg
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 05:29 PM

I thought the slider was suppose to be in the middle of the slot when the susp. is hanging ? I'm going to be putting them on my car soon so just checking .

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis
If you do use sliders,buy them from Calvert.The speedways are made in China,the Affcos don" have the right hardware for caltrac springs.

Dude, are those sliders welded it that position cos if so, that's WAY too biased towards the ft.................... work
Posted By: scottb

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 05:42 PM

Ok thanks for the help car should run mid to low 9s 71 abody 3000 lbs looks like the slider set up and the longer segment in the front what are you guys running for shocks there 9 way shock or a good coil over shock any one have any pictures how your shocks are mounted thank you
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 05:46 PM

Looking at the arc of the spring I would guess that it's hanging shruggy
Gus beer

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 05:54 PM

I run the old 5-ways out back and 90-10's up front...........about 3050 lbs BB 470 1.33 footin it at 2500 so far.............

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
Gus beer

Car is on the lift with axel hanging.They will NEVER go this far foward!
I put them in the middle and the witness marks show they never get too close to the front or the rear.If I were to do it again,,,I would buy the Calvert sliders!

It also lowered the body about nches2 inches.

Attached picture 5.31.15 009.jpg
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 06:49 PM

Hemi itis your Calvert sliders look identical to my speedway ones, packaging and everything.
My car at rest the spring sits all the way back in the slider, I have hit the front of the slider before when I have had to pedal the car... it makes a hell of a noise

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 07:05 PM

Quote:
My car at rest the spring sits all the way back in the slider,

This means the spring has no upward movement whatsoever then.

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By SpareParts
Hemi itis your Calvert sliders look identical to my speedway ones, packaging and everything.
My car at rest the spring sits all the way back in the slider, I have hit the front of the slider before when I have had to pedal the car... it makes a hell of a noise

That don't sound right at all no matter HOW fast you are...........
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Caltac set up - 02/05/17 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
My car at rest the spring sits all the way back in the slider,

This means the spring has no upward movement whatsoever then.

I think you mean downward. if the spring is at the rear of the slider it wont travel down. Spring gets longer with added weight. Spring will go forward as force is applied to the caltrac.

Re: Caltac set up - 02/06/17 02:27 AM

NO, I meant UPWARD ... as in if it goes over a speed bump its got nowhere to go.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Caltac set up - 02/06/17 04:04 PM

how often should sliders be greased ?
beer

Re: Caltac set up - 02/06/17 04:16 PM

Why would they need grease, just replace the bearings when they seem worn.
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Caltac set up - 02/07/17 07:46 AM

Originally Posted By Stanton
NO, I meant UPWARD ... as in if it goes over a speed bump its got nowhere to go.

HA well that's just crazy talk.. LOL Ya didn't think about that did I..
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Caltac set up - 02/07/17 04:38 PM

Gazzard Bros offer angled sliders.

Re: Caltac set up - 02/07/17 04:42 PM

Re: Caltac set up - 02/07/17 04:42 PM

Posted By: justinp61

Re: Caltac set up - 02/07/17 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By 1967dartgt

What's the advantage?

Re: Caltac set up - 02/07/17 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By justinp61
Originally Posted By 1967dartgt

What's the advantage?

Moves in the natural arc of the leaf spring. Supposed to be less drag.

Re: Caltac set up - 02/07/17 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart

That don't sound right at all no matter HOW fast you are...........

Just means his shock isn't stiff enough to control it.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Caltac set up - 02/07/17 11:29 PM

Gus beer

Car is on the life with axel hanging.They will NEVER go this far foward!
I put them in the middle and the witness marks show they never get too close to the front or the rear.If I were to do it again,,,I would buy the Calvert sliders!

..I think you're going to have a problem with it that far forward..
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Caltac set up - 02/08/17 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
Gus beer

Car is on the life with axel hanging.They will NEVER go this far foward!

..I think you're going to have a problem with it that far forward..

I think so too. I ran sliders for the last 3 years. I've never seen any that far forward even with the suspension hanging.

Re: Caltac set up - 02/08/17 03:05 AM

Yep, I set mine up w/weight on the rear w/the shackles in where they got welded and mine ended up a bit too much biased to the rear but zero issues so far and it will never compress that much. But that deal looks dead wrong leaving little room for separation........... work

Re: Caltac set up - 02/08/17 04:06 AM

I will get under the car again and triple check. I keep the shocks pretty tight and I don't think I'm hitting.But we'll see.Thanks guys!

Re: Caltac set up - 02/08/17 04:10 AM

That is alot of movement,what rear shocks are you using??
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Caltac set up - 02/08/17 05:37 AM

That is alot of movement,what rear shocks are you using??
I'm going to say it's more of bowling the rear spring..then shock control.. as the rearing end rotates it pulls the rear spring forward... you might be okay but it will be close that's why most guys put it further back... I would say put white grease on the track where the rollers roll take it out and test it. .🖒

Re: Caltac set up - 02/08/17 05:42 AM

Will do that in the spring.For now I will get another look next time I'm at the garage.

Attached picture 1.17.17 012.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums