Moparts

68 cuda superstock certi card

Posted By: moparx

68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/04/17 05:19 PM

i was gifted this certi card on saturday. anyone know this car ?
beer

Attached picture P2030007.JPG
Posted By: dart games

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/04/17 09:35 PM

very cool and rare

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/05/17 03:07 PM

i wonder if the car still exists, and if it was campaigned, what name it went under ?
beer
Posted By: Steve Reynolds

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/05/17 04:00 PM

Go to Classracer.com, there is a section on Hemi Cudas and Hemi Darts, I am sure someone there can help with all the history possible.

Steve

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/05/17 04:11 PM

[quote=Steve Reynolds]Go to Classracer.com, there is a section on Hemi Cudas and Hemi Darts, I am sure someone there can help with all the history possible.

Steve [/
thanks steve ! i'll try there.
beer
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/05/17 06:43 PM

On classracer.com go to "nostalgia stock and super stok" section then near the top you will find the thread "original hemi Cuda info" and put it there, many knowledgable guys check that thread.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/06/17 03:37 PM

i did that yesterday, and ran into the problem that is described in the sticky about the problem using the wind hose "outlook express". it is not allowing me to register, so i guess now i will have to ask if anyone here that is already a member, can post my pic and ask for any info that may be out there. responses can be sent to : moparx "at" windstream "dot" net. please use certicard in the subject line. THANK YOU in advance ! bow
beer
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/06/17 04:13 PM

MX. I've done it for you. Wait and see what pops up and let us know on here.
FMJ

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/06/17 04:38 PM

up thanks lee ! i'll report back what i find out. sometime this week, i'm going over to my friends house to check out what is in the tool box this card came from. i'll also find out the original owner's name and any history he may have told my friend. history is fascinating !
beer
Posted By: jughed

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/06/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
FMJ

link for post, and hopefully some replies....

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=47240&page=71

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/07/17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By jughed
Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
FMJ

link for post, and hopefully some replies....

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=47240&page=71

i'm keeping my fingers crossed ! luck the history on this will be great to know. i wonder if the car still exists ?
beer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/17/17 06:41 PM

bringing this back to the top. i have received several pics taken at keystone raceway park and a little info about the owner. i'll scan and post pics late today or early tomorrow.
beer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/17/17 08:07 PM

Anxious.
Posted By: topside

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 04:04 AM

That's hysterical, didn't think those cars would have one.
"Sorry about your rough idle complaint sir, we can't find any warranty info on your car"...

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 03:15 PM

here's what i found out. the guy's name was bob baughman, and he was a civil engineer working out of, or around monroeville, pa. he grew up in coudersport, pa. and was kind of a loner. he moved to the brookville, pa. area [where i'm located, which is 85miles north of pittsburgh] about 15 years ago when he retired, and died just a few months ago at approximately 66-69 years of age. when my buddy moved next to him and built a house, they became friends. when he died, my buddy was named executor of his estate. bob raced this cuda at keystone raceway park in the 70's, and then a dart gts with a max wedge power plant. the estate consists of no cars or parts, just a 1949 farmall tractor with a belly mower. there are several "bang sticks", the house, garage, and property, plus the normal things like furniture, tools, etc. the stuff has been appraised and priced, but i have never seen such goofy appraisals in any estate sale ever. some stuff such as common imported tools are ridiculously priced, and some good items dirt cheap ! i was luckily able to purchase some hand tools and a couple of scopes for idiotic prices as marked ! anyway, back to the pics. the cuda pics are taken at keystone, but the dates are unknown. one thing that really sticks out is the scoop that has "440" call outs. does that mean bob bought this car sans the original engine, or did it develop problems and was replaced with an rb ? a time slip was included that has the notation "trouble" at the bottom. did that mean there were problems during the run, or did he campaign another car with that name ? no dates are on any of the pics, so if anyone can remember this car from the past, or where it may be today, please chime in.
beer

Attached picture scan0056.jpg
Attached picture scan0057.jpg
Attached picture scan0058.jpg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 03:28 PM

Bob and Connie Stape owned the Street and Strip shop that is on the drivers-side fender. Their speed shop was right down the road on route 22. Bob moved to Florida years ago

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 03:38 PM

any idea when those pics may have been taken ?
beer
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 03:50 PM

Pics have to be no earlier than 1974. That's a '74 or newer Vega in the lanes next to him.

"Six Pack To Go", 440 on the scoop, 10.46 @ 126
I'm guessing the Hemi was out and an a well built RB was in it's place.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 04:43 PM

The first photo was at least late 77 as there is a LRE truck and a 78 Ford in the back ground.
Posted By: cgall

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 04:56 PM

Wow, Steve Reasbeck, is that your hemi car in pic #2?

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By cgall
Wow, Steve Reasbeck, is that your hemi car in pic #2?

Yep that's Steves car and Jerry Temple's Camero in the water box. Both guys have had the same cars forever.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By moparx
any idea when those pics may have been taken ?
beer

Saturday, September 23-Sunday, September 24 - PID-Keystone Nostalgia Nationals

At this race the pavilion is loaded with pictures from past years and is a chance to talk to guys that would be able to answer most of your questions. Fantastic race and lots of fun.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 06:28 PM

I can vaguely see his name painted on the top sill of the drivers door.
TROUBLE? He may have had another car there(DartGTS)under that name or he was having a bad run or he was in violation of ET safety rules??? Kinda a code warning from the tower to the tech guys at staging or at the line.
Some guys had probl;ems with the Elephants and went to the cheaper more popular RB's that ran very close or better and were lighter.
I know many an original Hemi street car that ended up with an RB replacement in the Hamsters nest. Just imaging a race car environment. Just the facts.
I would ask Jim Kramer at this point or Greg Lane.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 07:21 PM

Is that a marker light on the front fender of the fish? SS cars had glass fenders and no marker light on front.
Posted By: A990

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 10:17 PM

That LRE looks like a 79 from the horizontal grille bar. I vote for spring/summer of 80.

The bottom 2 pics show changing leaves and bare trees, but anyones guess on the year.

Cool post. thumbs
Posted By: justinp61

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/18/17 11:11 PM

You're right, the lre is a 79.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/19/17 03:17 PM

here are the pics i have of the dart[s]. may be the same car, may not. i don't have a clue, and my friend doesn't know either.
beer

Attached picture scan0054.jpg
Attached picture scan0055.jpg
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/19/17 08:29 PM

The "trouble" connotation on the time slip was when requesting a run after regular time trials were over and a racer needed an extra pass to sort out a issue.The orange Dart is now owned by Bud's Auto sales.To the best of anyones recollections the 68 Cuda was not an original BO29 car.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/20/17 02:52 PM

thanks for chiming in bob ! was the blue dart a different paint scheme on the red [orange ?] one, or were they different cars ? and if the cuda wasn't an original BO29, where does the certicard belong ? a mystery gets deeper ! work i wonder if anyone over at bud's auto remember this guy, or knows anything about this certicard ? the "trouble" connotation is now clear. thanks for that info !
beer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/20/17 04:47 PM

The Dart was a sorta plumcrazy paint and was also a non L023M car.The certicard is questionalble as the original Darts and Cudas were Statement Of Origin cars with body in white computer punch tickets.Your cirticard last digits show it is 9 builds from the Cuda we have ,299138 and it's 299147.The Dart/Cuda registry should show who brought that car if it exist.Ron at Buds acquired that Dart a few years back and if memory serves me correctly it belonged to Howdy Johonson and A guy call Go,Go Jerry.I last seen the dart many years ago at Stape's Street abnd Strip shop.
If I get a chance I will research your cirticard.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/20/17 05:20 PM

one other piece of info on these cars is on the back of framed dart, there is this info.

Bob Baughman's '68 Dodge GTS
426 Wedge Stage III

and

Graham Framing Studio
Box 76, R.D. #4
Ligonier,Pa.
Phone 593-7241

i need to scan this info into my files. it would be great if you could find the time to research my card ! up i was surprised this card even existed because, like you, i always believed all you got was the "statement of origin". certicards were used for warantee work, correct ? so, as these cars were not intended for street use, and had no drive train warantee, why would one of these cars come with this card ? as these cars are popular, i wonder how many have survived, and how hard would it be by those in the know [certainly NOT me by any stretch of the imagination] to trace the number on this card ?
thanks again bob ! you are a great service to this hobby !
beer
Posted By: 68hemiss

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/21/17 01:13 AM

I am familiar with this VIN#. The car is still around - was for sale a while back - not sure if it changed hands or not. Was originally owned by a well known OH 727 builder.

Mark Janaky
1968 Hemi S/S Registry
Posted By: restoracer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/21/17 06:32 AM

I have checked my info ,if my notes are correct this car was at the reunion in Carlisle in 93 (white)and again in 2008 in Ohio (multi colored )owned by Paul Emero ,thats if my notes are correct .If so its now in Florida .

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/21/17 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By 68hemiss
I am familiar with this VIN#. The car is still around - was for sale a while back - not sure if it changed hands or not. Was originally owned by a well known OH 727 builder.

Mark Janaky
1968 Hemi S/S Registry

i am very interested in learning about the history. any contact info you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. pm me if it may be sensitive, or not willing to be shared. you may act as a go between if necessary. thanks for stepping up !
beer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/21/17 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By restoracer
I have checked my info ,if my notes are correct this car was at the reunion in Carlisle in 93 (white)and again in 2008 in Ohio (multi colored )owned by Paul Emero ,thats if my notes are correct .If so its now in Florida .

interesting to know as well. anything you may be able to provide will be appreciated as well !
beer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/21/17 03:45 PM

This is where things get complicated,many owners do not want the S/N published for various reasons.ie: questionable ownership,partnerships,rebodys,and all out fake cars.Some just want their privacy respected and wish to remain anonomous.
We have seen many cars duplicated by the use of remade S/Ns,data plates,SoOs and certicards.It is unbelievable what some will do to authenticate a car for profit.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/21/17 03:57 PM

you are 100% correct bob. i'm still fascinated by this card and would like to learn more.
beer
Posted By: ww63

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/21/17 05:14 PM

beer
Car is currently owned by Steve Fox 502 639 7593. Tag should be reunited with car!
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/21/17 05:17 PM

There is further information on ClassRacer that says it could be Ray Christian's original car. Not another car he build later that was a clone.

Emero is kind of an usual name, perhaps you can track him down.

Bill

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/21/17 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By ww63
beer
Car is currently owned by Steve Fox 502 639 7593. Tag should be reunited with car!

that is the intent ! but before i commit, iron clad proof is necessary to prevent this from falling into the wrong hands. i will try to contact mr. fox over the coming weekend. if anyone knows this man, please let him know a call is forthcoming.
beer
Posted By: JDR1967

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/22/17 03:04 AM

Steve does indeed own this car and is looking forward to your call! He purchased it last fall from Paul Emiro.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/22/17 03:56 PM

call will be after lunch either saturday or sunday. does mr. fox prefer either day over the other ? trying to match his schedule if possible, to not interfere with anything he has planned.
beer
Posted By: JDR1967

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/23/17 03:07 PM

You can call either day at your convenience. I talked to Steve and he is available all weekend.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/23/17 03:21 PM

thank you sir ! up
beer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/26/17 03:28 PM

had a very enjoyable talk with mr. fox yesterday afternoon. it appears more history will be forthcoming on this car, and the card will be united with it's rightful caretaker ! my findings will be shared as i receive them. i find history fascinating !
beer
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 02/26/17 05:42 PM

That is awesome! punkrocka

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/02/17 03:24 PM

a current update. proof of ownership has been established, and soon, arrangements will be made to unite the card with the current caretaker. i have been in the hospital the last couple of days with a flareup of my MS, but am feeling better this morning. a face to face meeting will be set up so as to not "lose" the card again. this may have a slight delay depending upon travel arrangements, but updates on this will be forthcoming as they develop.
beer

Attached picture IMG_4459.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4458.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4460.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4461.jpg
Posted By: old_racer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/02/17 03:30 PM

very cool info! congrats!

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/02/17 04:37 PM

And a STICK car at that. What a wonderful story and the fact that MoparX is by which ever way making a connection, is actually connecting the lost dots of history for such a car.
Very cool.
Years back, friends of mine whom had the original window sticker to a certain Hemi Cuda' convertible reunited that sticker in pristine shape to its current owner.
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/02/17 04:40 PM

Very cool!

Stan

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/02/17 05:34 PM

i just wanted this card to be united to an authentic owner, not someone who would unite the card to the caretaker for "xxxx bux". there will be no fees charged whatsoever. and the caretaker has some history to share as well. i will report back. another cool pic and possibly a magazine article ?
beer

Attached picture IMG_4466.jpg
Posted By: killermopar

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/02/17 06:31 PM

I thought I recognized that car. Awesome!!!!
Posted By: Frito

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/02/17 10:41 PM

I know Steve and spoke with him last week about this. More to come

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/03/17 03:15 PM

here is the VERY odd place this card was found. a carpenter's tool box filled with miscellaneous electrical "stuff". as i already was gifted the card, i had to purchase it's "resting place". who knows how many years it has been residing there ? and, as a bonus, there are several items contained therein i can actually use !
beer

Attached picture P2270001.JPG
Attached picture P2270002.JPG

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/03/17 07:32 PM

more history on the fellow who had the card. now, the question is, how did mr. baughman acquire the card, and did he, at one time, in fact own this car ?
beer

Attached picture scan0064.jpg
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/05/17 06:21 PM

I wonder if he was any relation to the late Chrysler carburetor wizard John Baughman?

Bill
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/06/17 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By 340Cuda
I wonder if he was any relation to the late Chrysler carburetor wizard John Baughman?

Bill

I thought maybe the 440-6 and Hemi Super Stock racer John Baughman who is also from PA.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/07/17 02:59 PM

most recent update: was to have met up with mr. fox, the current caretaker, to hand deliver the card to him today, but something came up on his end. the delivery will be tomorrow now. the saga continues. anyone that can shed any information on any aspect of the history of this car, or mr. baughman's history, please chime in. the history of who ordered this car new, and what dealership may have been involved, plus any campaigning this car may have been involved in along with paint schemes along the way, will be of very great interest. one other thing. it seems i have forgotten how many of these cars were originally produced. was it 102 ? keep the info coming guys. i REALLY appreciate it ! bow
beer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/07/17 08:13 PM

I thought that amount of 100+ might have been along with the Darts. I could be wrong.
Posted By: liteweight

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/07/17 09:07 PM

Got a link to this thread from a friend Donald Moats. Very cool of you moparx. I know the importance of finding the history and as much background as possible for these old warhorses, because I have been doing the same for mine for over 10 years. I have an original LO23 . Most people know me by "liteweight" on classracer.com.
Anyway cudous to you taking the time to do this for thwe right reason rather than for $$$$$$. Not many people would do that.

For the record there were apprx. 70 BO29 Barracudas built and 80 LO23 Darts

Here are a couple pics I have of Ray Christians car before Paul Emero acquired it.

liteweight

ps If you have a BUNCH of spare time check out a little thread I started on classracer.com looking for the history on my car. There are over 4300 replies and 1,000,000 views since 2009. LOTS of great info and pics. Unfortunately some pics are starting to be deleted over time but still lots there. A GREAT information source for these Hurst built cars

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002&page=442

My car

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/07/17 09:28 PM

BTW How do you subscribe to a thread here. I looked but cant find

liteweight

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/07/17 09:53 PM

Welcome aboard Liteweight.
Lots of HEAVY hitters here. LOL.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/08/17 02:54 AM

Thanks Lee. Been awhile since I visited. Hey how do you subcribe to threads here. I cant find the option anywhere in the dropdowns

liteweight

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/08/17 04:59 AM

If you are just browsing through threads as a outsider, you should be able to read them with no problems, but can not reply. You have to be a member (and I presume you are because of your recent replies) to be able to post a new thread or answer/reply in any of them. Not sure if I answered you question correctly.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/08/17 01:06 PM

Been a member for awhile but I do not get a notifacation to my email when someone replies to a thread. I have to come back to the forum and look for it

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/08/17 01:36 PM

There are some incorrect speculation on some of these cars,the white Cuda"Second Time Around"shown at Keystone Raceway was own at that time by Bob Stape.It was the former Paul Lance car and originally owned by Jerry McClure,"Scootn Cuda".It now resides in the Bat Cave next to my original Hemi Dart.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/09/17 05:40 AM

Liteweight.

I might have a small lead on your Dart's info.
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/09/17 05:16 PM

Very cool! I think its Great that you were able to reunite the car with the certi- card!
Matt

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/09/17 05:26 PM

latest update. the card has been united with the car's current caretaker, steve fox as of yesterday afternoon in brookville, pennsylvania. steve and i had a wonderful talk, lasting a couple of hours, and i believe a new friendship has been created. there are still holes to be filled in the history, and steve and i will continue to try to fill in the gaps. steve relayed to me the original owner was ray christian, and the car was purchased through a dealership in, or around the columbus, ohio area. he also stated mr. christian may be deceased. can anyone shed light on this statement, or know what dealership was involved ? steve is the gentleman on the left, while i am the ugly galoot with not much hair on the right presenting steve with the card in the comfort of my kitchen. photo courtesy of my loving wife. up
beer

Attached picture P3080006.JPG

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/09/17 05:30 PM

lee, could you share this information or thread with the class racer site ? you helped before by posting a pic of the card there at the beginning of this saga. thanks in advance ! bow
beer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/09/17 09:40 PM

Ray Christian is dead,contact Larry Augustien at Sled City Fiberglass,he knew Ray and owned a few of his cars.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/09/17 11:31 PM

thank you bob ! bow i need all the help i can obtain in this matter ! history fascinates me, and i feel real good that i may be contributing to it in a very small way. sort of like making up for past sins ! biggrin [or as my brother likes to say : "get out of h-e-double hockey stick points" laugh2]
beer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/16/17 04:42 PM

newest addition to the thread. it seems ray christian obtained this car from byer's chrysler/plymouth after a carl kirk declined to take it. i do not know how kirk got involved, because that name is not familiar to me. also, a doc newmyre [spelling ?] is involved, but where or how in the ownership cycle ? and still, where in line of ownership did mr. baughman figure in ? screen shot from here i believe.
beer

Attached picture IMG_4513.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4510.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4511.jpg

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/16/17 04:46 PM

also, an odd event happened the day after steve recieved the card from me. fortune cookie from his dinner. eek biggrin this will most assuredly add to the documentation of this car ! laugh2
beer

Attached picture IMG_4502.jpg

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/16/17 09:02 PM

Carl Kirk raced under the Rod Shop banner.
Posted By: Frito

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/17/17 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By B G Racing
Carl lives pretty close to me and is still racing with his son and grandson. As a matter of fact I think they reached the final round with his grandson's blown dragster last week at the PDRA race. I have a list that is pretty accurate that list Ray Christian as receiving a new Cuda from the Hurst batch in 68. I'll have to see if I can find the dealer.. I knew him fairly well and he raced more than one Hemi Cuda.

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/17/17 02:54 PM

i have a couple of phone calls to make, hopefully over the weekend. dang doctor visits wear me out !
beer

Re: 68 cuda superstock certi card - 03/17/17 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By Frito
Originally Posted By B G Racing
Carl lives pretty close to me and is still racing with his son and grandson. As a matter of fact I think they reached the final round with his grandson's blown dragster last week at the PDRA race. I have a list that is pretty accurate that list Ray Christian as receiving a new Cuda from the Hurst batch in 68. I'll have to see if I can find the dealer.. I knew him fairly well and he raced more than one Hemi Cuda.

Hi Frito,It was good to see you at the Indy show.
© 2024 Moparts Forums