Moparts

Weight loss update - hood and bumper

Posted By: humpty

Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 04:13 AM

I ordered a bolt on 6 Pack hood and bumper from AAR Quality Fiberglass and finally got them mounted up today. The quality on each is good and won't require much prep before paint. I used the factory latch and everything lines up nice. I also got a set of lightweight hood springs from another member and they work great! I haven't decided if I'm going to add a couple hood pins yet we'll have to see. Total weight loss between the two was 42lbs. Next is aluminum bumper brackets.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 04:21 AM

Nice. And off the front end, too.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 05:41 AM

Looks great! up
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 05:07 PM

Looks great.............
Posted By: hugo

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 05:12 PM

Where did you get the hinges for the six pack fiberglass hook?

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 06:25 PM

Thanks guys. Hugo - I got the springs from Dennis Logan. You can reach him via email at happee_feelings@yahoo.com. He's a great guy to deal with.

Just ordered the aluminum brackets from Lingenfelter's. Still pondering whether to paint, wrap, or chrome the bumper. I may try to wrap it just to say I tried smile
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 07:34 PM

Looks nice. Just thought of this.....I wonder if model airplane monokote film would work.... work
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 07:42 PM

Looks great! I love those short 3" 6pak hoods. That car is nice, spend the money on chrome.
Posted By: 68dodge

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 07:42 PM

Looks good, you will see how flat it is once you start sanding. Had 2 low spots in mine. One on each side about 3" up and in from the back corners. If you plan on doing any track time, I would put on some hood pins. I can see mine lifting and shaking all the time at the track.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 07:49 PM

Agree with 68.
I would put two pins (aluminum types) at the front to keep it from sailing. I would not trust that latch bar at speed that is only impregnated in fiberglass resin.
Good going and the car looks handsome.

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 10:55 PM

Thanks guys. I still can't get my head wrapped around paying $500+ to chrome the bumper....

Good point about the pins too. If all goes well I will be at the track lots this year so I'll be putting in a couple pins (aluminum in honor of FMJ :}).
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/30/17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By humpty
Thanks guys. I still can't get my head wrapped around paying $500+ to chrome the bumper....

I kept my Chrome bumper and lightened it. With aluminum brackets it weighs like 15 pounds total.
Posted By: fed

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/31/17 12:17 AM

Chromewrap!

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/31/17 02:40 AM

Sport440 - That is not a bad idea. How did you lighten the bumper and which aluminum brackets did you use? The ones I ordered don't look like they would hold up a steel bumper for long.

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/31/17 03:52 AM

Theres a lot of excess metal at the bottom and behind the license plate fixture that can be trimmed off to make the bumper itself lighter.

As for mounts I used aluminum camper awning posts, pretty strong. Ran them straight off the frame side rails where the factory brackets mount. Ran that straight forward until it meets the bumper where it needs to be. From there you can either weld or bolt on u channel bracket to tie into the U channel aluminum post.

Can send you pics if you want from cell.

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 01/31/17 05:02 AM

Got it. I can see dropping a couple pounds in those areas. I'll check out those brackets - you can email me at jeff.saucier at gmail.com. Thanks man!

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/01/17 03:38 AM

Hey Leigh - I'm going to do some research on monokote. It looks like it's pretty resilient, has a high shrink potential for working compound edges and some of it can even be buffed like metal. Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/01/17 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Agree with 68.
I would put two pins (aluminum types) at the front to keep it from sailing. I would not trust that latch bar at speed that is only impregnated in fiberglass resin.
Good going and the car looks handsome.

I was going to say this too. DEFINITELY add the 2 hood pins up front. Hate to think of that hood flying open with the air pressure under the hood at speed.
Looks AWESOME
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/01/17 05:06 AM

I have seen a mustang rip the stock hinge from the fiberglass hood and then rip off the hinges. The really bad part was his fuel pressure gauge was attached to the hood with a -4 braided line. It hung on and beat the roof in on the car before it finally ripped off the hood as well. So yeah, I would pin it haha
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/01/17 06:01 AM

Pin it to keep from being on pins and needles.
Thanks for the kind shout out.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/01/17 08:44 AM

I've have two different 70/71 Dusters with both sixpak and Hemi SS scoops on them on race weight hoods. Both needed multiple(3 or 4) hood pins or Dzuz fasteners on both the front and rear edges of the lift off hoods, my old pump gas Duster had the hood attached to the stock hinges and still needed four Dzuz fasterners in front of the scoop off of the radiator support and two behind the scoop between the stock hinges to keep it halfway close to staying flat at or above 125 MPH in the 1/4 mile. I had to add another set of Dzuz fasteners on the side of the hood between the front set of fasteners and the hood hinges also to keep it flat along the sides shruggy
Be safe, do it right once to start with shruggy thumbs

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/02/17 12:48 AM

Thanks for the heads up everyone.

Did any of you run a front spoiler or block off any of the core support area to reduce the pressure in the engine bay? Mine's all stock (I.E.: unrestricted).

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/02/17 01:37 AM

Got it. I can see dropping a couple pounds in those areas. I'll check out those brackets - you can email me at jeff.saucier at gmail.com. Thanks man!

Jeff, I cant Email pics at the present time. Can only send them by cell.

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/02/17 05:55 AM

Hey Sport440 - PM sent.

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/08/17 06:58 AM

I received the aluminum bumper brackets, bolts, and fender rods bringing the total weight loss between the hood and bumper assembly to 50lbs. Still lots to do before May - hoping to find another 20lbs forward of the chunk in the driver's seat before then.

Attached picture IMG_1227.JPG
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/08/17 07:20 AM

I received the aluminum bumper brackets, bolts, and fender rods bringing the total weight loss between the hood and bumper assembly to 50lbs. Still lots to do before May - hoping to find another 20lbs forward of the chunk in the driver's seat before then.

Who did you get all this from, and what was price please? Contact info?
Car looks great! up
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/08/17 02:11 PM

www.lingenfeltersbrackets.com
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/08/17 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By JERICOGTX

I just got a set of his brackets the other day. They are very nice and a super guy to deal with, received them in a couple days.

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/08/17 04:48 PM

Agreed and had the same experience. I'm a bit partial however since we share the same first name:)

Thanks for the cudo's Roadrunner!

Re: Weight loss update - hood and bumper - 02/09/17 02:14 AM

Those brackets look Nice, and for the price, boy you cant go wrong. up I cant believe he can build them for that and make any money. Anybody who wants some should buy them now IMO. bow
© 2024 Moparts Forums