Posted By: dart games

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/21/17 06:46 AM

work of art
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/21/17 07:01 AM

Is this necessary for it to survive? birdtracker
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/21/17 08:38 AM

Ok I give up.....what are you trying to do here? Putting pressure to the lifters to oil up the pushrods or EDM oiling for the lifters?
Not my business but if I were you I would remove that deal and open up those drain back holes about double. You might think of drilling a small hole through the bulkhead out to the TC and dist gear area to.
Just a thought....
Posted By: Forest

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/21/17 07:12 PM

Looks good Jess up

Yes pushrod oiling. B1 heads have 4 drains in the cylinder heads, so I'm guessing most of the oil drains back that way rather than through the valley...?
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/21/17 09:55 PM

I drilled a big hole up front t/c side that way those small holes might let some oil to drain back and the vacuum pump can pull crankcase pressure up through the big hole up front. All the work was to provide oil to the lifters edm oiling and T&D rocker arms for the new heads this year fingers crossed Al knows the story on that.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/21/17 10:22 PM

Cool. Nice work.
Todd
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/22/17 12:33 AM

Unfortunately I have to do the same eventually to a KB block that was not done as ordered as well.
Posted By: challenger451ci

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/22/17 03:36 AM

I did something similar with mine. Not a lot of fun, but it works!

Attached picture IMG_1726.JPG
Posted By: wyldebill

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/23/17 08:20 AM

How and what are you using for an oil restricter?
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/23/17 09:31 AM

When we ordered the block, didn't order it with lifter oiling. However, now that we will come to drag week, the plan changed. Have to get pushrod oiling upstairs instead of spray bars to survive. Thought about different possibilities with lines similar to thos in the pictures, but then one machined shop volunteered to drill the holes for us. However, they screwed it up a bit, everytime the drill bit pushed throught the lifter bore it guided the drill bit a little. The drivers side went upwards, and the passanger side down, and the two last ones went through to the cam tunnel... Not a big deal though, blocked the channel before them and will oil the two last ones with lines. The lifter bores will be sleeved with about .040"- .060" hole in each sleeve. The lifters will be Jesel. Should have installed an aluminum rod through the lifter bore when drilling and it would propably have turned out just fine, will try that with the next block!

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/23/17 04:34 PM

Holley jet I'll start out with 60 and see if that's enough. with the 1/8 pipe fitting in the block just drill out the fitting to 1/4 by 32 thread screw in the jet if it's no enough just change jets

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/23/17 06:06 PM

IMO you will be fine going way down from a 60 jet. I had a .029" restrictor in my Cuda with no issues.

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/23/17 07:16 PM

.029 per side or total?

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/23/17 08:13 PM

I machined the AN fittings down so I could use a Nitrous flare jet. 0.040" feeding each lifter bore. On the stand, mine made 70psi oil pressure with no lifters in it. It made 75-80 with them installed. That's with Crower HIPPO lifters. It makes 75 or so with my boot in it.
Posted By: go green

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 03:31 AM

I had a .065 jet on the main oil feed line to the entire system .

Posted By: camdog440

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 05:18 AM

At what point are all these oiling mods necessary?
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 07:06 AM

At the point where you are starting to have problems with pushrod ends and adjusters or lifters. If you don't have any problems, there is no need for doing things differently.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 04:56 PM

What heads and/or rocker systems typically need something like this? Looks like a huge PITA. I've had my hands in some fairly serious Mopar builds and never seen one that needed this before.

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 04:59 PM

B1MC in this case...Paired rockers require pushrod oiling and if your block did not come that way options are limited..

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 05:05 PM

Ok, so this is just for blocks that have not had the lifter galleys drilled?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 05:05 PM

I messed up when I ordered my Keith Black block and didn't get it drilled for pushrod oiling because at the time I was planning on running my 440-1 Indy heads. Tom Hemphill drilled it for me so now I can oil either way. My B1's require pushrod oiling.

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 05:29 PM

Well here is our tale. We actually have one that was ordered WITH pushrod oiling from KB and a 55MM roller cam bearing deal. What we got was babbit and 54 and pushrod oil. Calls were made and KB said they could fix it. Well we got back was a 55MM roller cam option and LOST out pushrod oiling. Not exactly what was ordered or paid for so we too will likely end up fixing ours later. Caused us to go with common shaft rockers and we will see how it holds up. Whole engine is kind of a one off deal anyway at this point. We plan to run it for a bit to see how things look after some laps. When we tear it down we will address the pushrod oil issues..

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 07:38 PM

I didn't order my Indy block with PR oiling. After giving it more thought, I wasn't crazy about splash oiling a roller cam so I decided to go the internal manifold route. My thought is that the lifters will live longer, especially on the street with pressure fed bores and roller axles. I could be completely wrong, but I sleep better this way. smile

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By challenger451ci
I didn't order my Indy block with PR oiling. After giving it more thought, I wasn't crazy about splash oiling a roller cam so I decided to go the internal manifold route. My thought is that the lifters will live longer, especially on the street with pressure fed bores and roller axles. I could be completely wrong, but I sleep better this way. smile

FWIW...my KB block doesn't have lifter oil galleys and mine is a solid roller. No problems w/ lifters in 10 years.

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/24/17 09:00 PM

Would agree plenty of oil there w/o pushrod oiling at the lifters. Up top is where you will have the issues. When I ran a Hemi in the Cuda we had spray bars for the springs rockers and tips. IMO pushrod oiling is just a better way to do it and on some cases a necessity as in paired rockers...
Posted By: LA360

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/25/17 06:56 AM

I have wondered why guys went to all of this trouble, now I know!
Posted By: wyldebill

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/25/17 10:04 AM

I'm at a crossroads, either build a manifold or send the block to be drilled. What kind of money do you have tied up in the oil manifolds? I don't know how crazy I am about the tubing vibrating around and possibly cracking. I'm in a little different boat, building a street car. Bushed roller lifters and paired t&d rockers.

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/25/17 02:59 PM

No question...I'd have the block drilled. I wouldn't want all that mess in the lifter valley.

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/25/17 07:35 PM

I probably had close to $300.00 tied up all said and done. I made the manifold out of 1" square stock. Not gonna lie, it was a HUGE PIA. I spent roughly 40hrs on the whole mess. I also took great pains to get the ports to intersect the bores at the band when the lifter is on the heel of the cam. Necessary, probably not! But as I said before, this is one less thing I lay awake at night pondering. smile
Posted By: go green

Re: Oil lines for Indy block - 01/26/17 03:43 AM

I had a pretty easy time of it . A Endrlie fuel distribution bulk head was $90 , and then the lines and fittings $150-$200 cant remember .

I made a jig for the lifter drilling and had it done in a day .

© 2024 Moparts Forums