Moparts

Why so few Procharger Mopar builds?

Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 07:23 PM

Planning a BB Mopar Procharger build for next year. I've been trying to do a little research with no luck. I would think a nice Procharger build for street and strip would be a perfect setup. Run low 10s (if not faster) and still cruise around like a 500hp NA engine. Are they a pain to keep running right? cost? What am I missing?
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 07:43 PM

Cost is huge and turbos make more power. There are a few fast procharger guys that don't hang out here also..
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 08:03 PM

Turbos are the future. For what a procharger costs you can build a nice turbo system. No belts to worry about or huge mounting system.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By Azzkikrcuda
Turbos are the future. For what a procharger costs you can build a nice turbo system. No belts to worry about or huge mounting system.

IDK about the tube being the do all be all end all. If you google it, you can find Daddy Daves dyno test of his new Procharged engine. I forget what it made for power but it is impressive.

And IIRC, it was on a 750 carb. I could be wrong on that, but that's what I recall.

Can't wait to see it run, and since I don't sniff the air for every fart the SO guys do, DD may have already made some passes with it.
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 08:30 PM

I am not a Race guy - so take my comment for what it is. I think the procharger kits have issues with the serpentine belt slipping in some applications and "ready made kits".
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 08:38 PM

IMO The average mopar cheapskate wouldn't put the money into one.
purple shafts and ss spring mentality is the norm
Forget about a procharger or F.I.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By The Shadow

Why is not having more money than Sam Walton such a negative thing? Purple shafts and SS springs work and are cheap. shruggy
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By DrCharles

Why is not having more money than Sam Walton such a negative thing? Purple shafts and SS springs work and are cheap. shruggy

Truth, and offended cheep skate ๐Ÿ˜‚
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 09:00 PM

IMO ....
That's called Trolling troll Just click "ignore this user" and don't quote their whole text. It will make the Internet a better place. up

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 09:01 PM

I would love to go turbo. But not being a fabricator it's really not as practical for me as a bolt on Procharger. Plus I got a smoking deal on a Supercharger store setup with a F1R Procharger. I sent the F1R back to Procharger to have them make sure it was good to go. Now just need to have a killer short block built. And wait and see what the Trickflow 270 heads will be like. And research, research, research.
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 09:05 PM

The biggest issue is like everything else Mopars are not a big market. So the brackets/kits will be more expensive or non existent requiring people to fabricate their own.

If that is what you want, build it! Don't let the people mocking "purple cams" and crap on here lead you away. Talk to the company or companies you want to purchase the procharger from they will have done a big block Mopar. Steve Morris Engines has a few on their youtube channel as well, but they might be a bit more then 10's unless your car weighs 8000lbs
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By rednuck
The biggest issue is like everything else Mopars are not a big market. So the brackets/kits will be more expensive or non existent requiring people to fabricate their own.

If that is what you want, build it! Don't let the people mocking "purple cams" and crap on here lead you away. Talk to the company or companies you want to purchase the procharger from they will have done a big block Mopar. Steve Morris Engines has a few on their youtube channel as well, but they might be a bit more then 10's unless your car weighs 8000lbs

Double AMEN to this. If you want it, do it.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 09:18 PM

Positive:
lower underhood temperature than turbo
hood clearance (unlike 6-71 etc.)
can use intercooler (unlike 6-71 etc.)
Negative:
low torque at low RPM
still need a complete header system
less power than a turbo with same boost
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By FastmOp
Truth, and offended cheep skate ๐Ÿ˜‚

I'm a cheapskate too... while people with more money than brains (or two jobs) are putting upwards of $80k into their cars, mostly built by someone else, I'll be enjoying my $15k Dart in semi-retirement, everything but the finish paint done by me in a barn whistling
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 09:26 PM

The reason you don't see many Pro-Charged Mopars, is because there are few kits for Mopars, especially for the bigger blowers. The way Mopar engine compartments are, it is nearly impossible to put a charger on most of them, because there simply isn't room. So lack of kits, leaves most of them custom installs, but still doesn't mean the problems go away. A big blower on an early Mopar muscle car, nearly guarantees some inner fender mods and custom brackets. And a bigger motor is going to need a bigger blower regardless of power. A small blower is a cork on a larger motor and will actually hurt the power. Inner coolers or heat exchangers are hard to package in there as well. Most Mopars have little room in the front of the cars

Direct drive is always an option, but that's generally a race only deal
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 09:38 PM

Why does everyone overlook Vortech? They have a stronger transmission and operate at cooler temps and give off a cooler charge. Don't get fooled by prochargers more active and aggressive advertising
Posted By: jcc

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By polyspheric
Positive:
lower underhood temperature than turbo
hood clearance (unlike 6-71 etc.)
can use intercooler (unlike 6-71 etc.)
Negative:
low torque at low RPM
still need a complete header system
less power than a turbo with same boost

I have a SB set-up in the works currently, I went this direction because, I felt the tuning/learning curve would not be as intense, the lower torque is, as I see it, a plus for a road race track toy, a simpler exhaust saves a lot of headaches, and was thinking the power delivery will be more predictable and consistent, other then that, I would have gone turbo. laugh2
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 10:30 PM

There is a Pro-Charged late Charger here in Tacoma and he was a member of the Mopars Unlimited Tacoma Chapter. I still send him the newsletter. He likes to race and runs consistent low 12s with his street car. I will send him a link to this thread.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 11:08 PM

You have already bought it, so this info may be a bit late. If buying a new blower, I would suggest vortec. Procharger will not sell as much as a seal to an end user. You are at their mercy when something goes wrong(and things do) during race season, if you're not sponsored by them, you wait and wait and wait.
If they sold parts you could at least repair your own stuff in a timely manner.
My friend sent in his procharger for a leak. It took 6 weeks to get it back. He makes one pass and the thing eats itself up. They forgot to tighten the impeller nut and the wheel chewed up everything. They fixed it junk yard style with a used volute, and a new wheel. Got it back 8 weeks later. Sold it after swearing to never buy another one from them.

Attached picture Mandy's shower 003.jpg

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 11:29 PM

Call me a troll or what you will but there are very few that will spend the money on power adders. turbo or blower
Sorry if it offends some but that's my opinion
Procharger offers nothing for the old mopar market because there is little to no market. The aftermarket procharger mopar kits are too costly
It can be done on the cheap but most aren't willing to put the time into it.
It's easier to stay with purple cams and ss springs
Look at the block situation. The basis for all that this is built on doesnt have an aftermarket block supply from a decent company
Hopefully the gen 3 will breath new life into mopar but most here wont embrace them either

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/16/17 11:56 PM

This is my Procharged SRT 6.1
I built it before there was such a thing as a hellcat. It's been fun, reliable, and easy. It makes great power and for sale. I'm selling because I'm looking at a new chassi for my big Hemi. I pick the kids up from school in it on nice days is about all I drive it anymore. It's 1/2 price of a cat and only has 29,000 miles. So if your looking for a modern muscle car for under 30 grand PM me.

Posted By: 1mean340

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 01:10 AM

I'm working on a procharged 340 project myself. It is getting close to completion but the holidays set my machinist back some time wise.

My build is using a D1SC with cheapo front mount intercooler. I have been doing it on a budget (whatever that means, for a forced induction build) so I welded up my own piping and found what may or may not have been an incomplete SDCE bracket that I am heavily modifying to make my own pulley setup with.

the blower is feeding the following
69 340 block, hughes main girdle/studs, factory forged crank, Eagle H beam rods, forged pistons, ported W2 econo heads, E85 fed via aeromotive A1000 fuel system and FItech 1200 fuel injection, solid roller cam

What really sucks about this build is not being able to find brackets/pulleys for cheap. I sourced a billet SDCE one piece crank pulley/blower pulley for 300 something and then the work I have to do to make the bracket work.

Honestly, I think TURBO would have been a MUCH better and probably easier way to go. I already had the procharger though. I considered a single turbo, and I know I am quirky for this but I can't get over a muscle car having a tight overlap turbo cam and all the exhaust coming out one pipe. It's just nowhere near as cool as a big, choppy cam thumping out unobstructed dual exhaust.

Whether the sound is going to be worth the power loss of the blower, added stress on the crank/mains or potential belt slip issues- I don't know.

I am hoping to make around 700fwhp with this setup and pray that it stays together.

One of the biggest issues I see with building up MOPARS for forced induction is that many of the stock blocks can't handle the power that good head flow and boost can make, and when you start getting into aftermarket Mopar blocks the prices are so crazy that who has money left for forced induction as well? If you're a late model GM guy, you can go out and find a $500 5.3 truck motor, spend a few grand building it and make 1000hp with a cheap turbo setup. You could probably do the whole build for the cost of a good Mopar block and machine work.

At least this seems like the case with the small blocks. I know SCDE and a few other guys were pushing factory big block engine blocks way harder (well over 1000hp).
For what I ended up sinking into this small block I think I really made a mistake in not trying to do a big block instead.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 01:22 AM

Bunch of cheap bastards on here, that's why...
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 03:28 AM

I spent money but am still slow.... the get what you pay for mopar surcharge laugh2
Posted By: jcc

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 03:35 AM

"I am hoping to make around 700fwhp with this setup and pray that it stays together. "

I believe your hopes should answered without much ado, but your prayers might fall on deaf ears. coffee
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 04:37 AM

My buddy building a 69 dart with a 426 gen 3 hemi and a f1r.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 04:37 AM

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 04:38 AM

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By SpareParts
Why does everyone overlook Vortech? They have a stronger transmission and operate at cooler temps and give off a cooler charge. Don't get fooled by prochargers more active and aggressive advertising

Mr. Parts,
There are pros and cons to each. The Procharger is self contained in the lubrication department. The Vortech uses oil pressure from the engine, and drains it back to the pan. When you toast a blower bearing, the shrapnel ends up in the engines oil pan. That can be an issue.
Posted By: misfired

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 05:57 AM

You are correct that most vortechs need pressurized oiling but not all. The v3 is self contained. Only good for around 800hp though. I'm personally a vortech supporter, can usually find them cheaper, it's for a Mopar so, you gotta make a bracket unless you have a gen3. They also seem to take a beating better, honestly seems like you can cog them when vortech says not to, spin them harder than recommended and still keep going. The NMRA is a fun place to explore vortechs abilities. Definitely pros and cons tho, same as turbos and nitrous really. It's all work and money, personally feel all power adders cost the same once you hit the track
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ
You have already bought it, so this info may be a bit late. If buying a new blower, I would suggest vortec. Procharger will not sell as much as a seal to an end user. You are at their mercy when something goes wrong(and things do) during race season, if you're not sponsored by them, you wait and wait and wait.
If they sold parts you could at least repair your own stuff in a timely manner.
My friend sent in his procharger for a leak. It took 6 weeks to get it back. He makes one pass and the thing eats itself up. They forgot to tighten the impeller nut and the wheel chewed up everything. They fixed it junk yard style with a used volute, and a new wheel. Got it back 8 weeks later. Sold it after swearing to never buy another one from them.

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about a procharged Aluminum 572 for my next street rod & this gives me something to look into.
Posted By: 1mean340

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By jcc
"I am hoping to make around 700fwhp with this setup and pray that it stays together. "

I believe your hopes should answered without much ado, but your prayers might fall on deaf ears. coffee

I really hope not! In the past few weeks I have spoken to a few boosted stock small block mopar guys who are making more HP than I plan to and they are tall telling me to go for it. My machinist didn't think there would be any problem with it supporting that much power and he knows a decent amount about pushing stock blocks (he currently holds the NHRA record for SS/GTAA). They don't seem to lurk here, but there are big power turbo/procharged small block mopar guys out there. It sounds like the biggest issue is with getting the tune down right. Most of the guys who I have heard cracked these blocks were either spinning high RPM's with a N/A or nitrous builds which I would think would put far more stress on a block than a lower RPM blower/turbo build, or had an old school roots blower fed by carbs. I know roots/carb setups have always been notoriously difficult to tune, and the few people I've spoken to who have cracked blocks really couldn't confirm if detonation was the culprit or not.

I'm hoping that with the fuel injection, E85 and wideband I'll have a better shot at keeping out of detonation, and I shouldn't have to spin the setup too high to make power. Take a look at Dizuster here. He is making well over 700fwhp on a stock magnum block. Magnum blocks could be stronger than early 340 blocks though, I'm really not sure.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 07:01 PM

Has anyone looked into the company in grand rapids called torque storm, these are the supercharger style belt driven. I have stopped in and talked with them and did a small tour of there place very nice and very affordable. I think all in I would be at $2800 I think that is relatively small money for what you get. they come set at 7psi with pulley swaps available up to 12psi I think. or cut your own pulley and void the warranty, no difference either way. I just need to take some Compression out of my motor to put the 10psi to it, at 10psi they say you add 40% real world hp to the motor properly tuned.

http://www.torqstorm.com/
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 07:06 PM

If I was going to do a forced induction setup, it would definitely be a supercharger. Turbos require too much plumbing and take up too much space. Not arguing b/c turbos are the best for making power, it's just personal preference. Not to mention turbo cars are usually a little too quiet and docile sounding for me.

The main thing that keeps me from going that route, other than the cost, is packaging. I don't really want to hack the frontend of my car off, fit all that stuff, and then try to lay the car's skin back over it. Nitrous is much easier to fit on the car, lol. Then again, I'm not trying to outrun everyone and set records either.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 07:17 PM

I guess one of the things that attracted me to going this route is that you don't see a lot of them out there. Plus I'm looking for a car I can drive on the nice days. And still go run at the local strip when my job allows. My true goal would be a high nine second car. But I know that will take time dealing with chassis setup. I'll hopefully get started this year.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 07:17 PM

Chip you need some rear mount turbos. ๐Ÿ˜†
Posted By: 383man

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 07:59 PM

Some may be that most older guys like me in their 60's and up like what we grew up with which was no super or turbocharged cars as you just never saw them much at all back in the 60's and 70's muscle cars era. The technology was not so good and they did not work as good back then. I like mine as they were back then which was naturally aspirated. And then when the 80's came around Mopar did not have any rear drive muscle cars and kids were getting into the imports and the Mustang and Camaro was still around. So I think many younger just did not get into Mopar as much since for many years they were not much into any performance cars. Course many older people like me dont want a power adder since we did not see them much when we grew up and we did not want anything to do with Imports because in the 60's most Americans said if its made in Japan its junk ! And I think alot of that was still feelings from WWII in the country. We were more patriotic to America also back then so Imports were something we stayed far away from back in the days or many of us did. Now Mopar have finally came out with a strong supercharged V/8 car and maybe more will start using super and turbochargers on Mopars. Just a theory but I may be off base some. Myself I just love the N/A V/8 eng that I grew up with and I like my muscle car simple and easy to work on now that I am older so I know I will never use a power adder but I dont need to as I am not worried about having to go that fast. In todays world if you are very serious about wanting to be the fastest around you have to run a power adder of some type. Ron
Posted By: 5280Dart

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 10:05 PM

I have played with a couple 440 with carburetor setups, both using Procharger D1-SC head units.

First issue is cost for a lot of people. A centrifugal supercharger kit with mopar specific brackets (pre gen III hemi) tend to be pricy. I made my own brackets and modified the other pieces needed from a BB chevy kit.

Second issue is tuning. I am not a fan of blow thru carburetor setups. You tend to have to run too fat with little initial timing during the 98% of the time you are not under boost, or run lean when you are under boost. Running lean under boost is a short term problem, because you will blow head gaskets, burn valves, or torch pistons/blocks in short order. I would view a blow thru carb setup for a track only car as more viable than a street/strip car, because you can treat the carburetor like it is mechanical injection. Tune it for wide open throttle performance, and not worry about how it runs when not under boost.
If you run fuel injection, you need to have a system you can tune, or have someone with the ability to provide the tune for your car. If you run a centrifugal or a turbo, fuel injection is the only way to go in my opinion.
The fox body mustang guys are the ones who made the centrifugal superchargers commonplace again. They had fuel injection, and a large enough following that the aftermarket could profit from by supporting them with parts and technology. Mopar guys are just now getting late model fuel injected cars worth throwing a blower on.

Most Mopar guys are content running traditional set ups. They are easy to put together because the combinations have been used forever, produce enough power for many street strip guys, and are familiar. The trouble begins when you get beat by a guy running a 2.0 liter econobox, or get to ride in or watch someone with a V8 under boost.

There are other issues that come up, but if you have the coin, can run fuel injection, tune it, and mount the head unit up, you are well on your way.

And, don't plan on getting any technical advice from the manufactures as to how to get your car to run with their products. They don't have the answers, you will have to figure that out on your own.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 11:08 PM

What room problem? What lag problem? What temp problem? What oil contamination problem? What belt slippage problem? What custom build problem? 700HP from a small block? - not a problem.

Attached picture blr mtr1.jpg
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/17/17 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By 5280Dart
Second issue is tuning. I am not a fan of blow thru carburetor setups. You tend to have to run too fat with little initial timing during the 98% of the time you are not under boost, or run lean when you are under boost. Running lean under boost is a short term problem, because you will blow head gaskets, burn valves, or torch pistons/blocks in short order. I would view a blow thru carb setup for a track only car as more viable than a street/strip car, because you can treat the carburetor like it is mechanical injection. Tune it for wide open throttle performance, and not worry about how it runs when not under boost.

Not sure who's carb you were using, but that is not true across the board. The fuel curve under boost is easily controlled with the latest boost reference power valves. Acts 100% like a normal carb, until it sees boost and then goes as fat as you want it to. Piece of cake... The ONLY time I've ever had carb issues is when I'm getting outside the power window of what it was set up for. When I tell the guy it's only going to make 700hp, and I'm trying to push it to 900hp... yeah it needs a bunch of jet!

The timing thing is no big deal either. Lots of boost reference options out there that will control timing. Lets you run full timing at no/low boost, and pulls out as needed. I actually have full timing (35deg) in my motor up until 5psi to get the turbo lit, and then a yank a bunch out from there. No different then setting up an EFI timing map.

I would say there aren't lot of procharged mopars out there, just for the same reasons there aren't a lot of big power mopars out there in general. People are scared of the stock blocks, and the race blocks are scarce and/or big money. Average guys don't want to spend that kind of money or take the risk of blowing up stuff.

Nothing wrong with the prochargers at all... LOTS of non mopars successfully using them across all platforms/ all years of cars.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 12:39 AM

Crizila do you watch IAT's??

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 12:54 AM

dizuster, love your car! One of the reasons I looked at boost as an option. Just curious, who's blow through carb are you using? I was told to give CSU a call. Thanks

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 12:57 AM

My carb is from Eric and www.horsepowerinnovation.com

He strictly does E85 stuff, and I can't say enough good things about him or his products!

He's takin me from 450hp to nearly 900hp on basically the same unit with a booster upgrade along the way. Other then that it's just been tuning stuff he's been able to do (or provide to me as needed)

Pretty impressive for a little 750 Holley.
Posted By: 5280Dart

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By dizuster
Not sure who's carb you were using, but that is not true across the board. The fuel curve under boost is easily controlled with the latest boost reference power valves. Acts 100% like a normal carb, until it sees boost and then goes as fat as you want it to. Piece of cake... The ONLY time I've ever had carb issues is when I'm getting outside the power window of what it was set up for. When I tell the guy it's only going to make 700hp, and I'm trying to push it to 900hp... yeah it needs a bunch of jet!

The timing thing is no big deal either. Lots of boost reference options out there that will control timing. Lets you run full timing at no/low boost, and pulls out as needed.

Of course, there are exceptions. Love your car by the way. I am just saying, it can be more difficult than it first appears... Its been nearly a decade since I played with centrifugals, and if I run a centrifugal again, or a turbo, it will be with fuel injection.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 07:11 AM

Crizila do you watch IAT's??
IAT's??

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 07:18 AM

Intake air temp
Posted By: procharged 484

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 07:40 AM

I like my set up f2 on a 484 hemi over a 1000 hp and 1000 fpt at 9 # boost with a small cam 580 roller in a 70 challanger BUT I wish I went f1 size so I didn't have to cut the fender well . Good luck
Posted By: racerx

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 12:55 PM

[quote=procharged 484]I like my set up f2 on a 484 hemi over a 1000 hp and 1000 fpt at 9 # boost with a small cam 580 roller in a 70 challanger BUT I wish I went f1 size so I didn't have to cut the fender well . Good luck [/quote

Ant pictures of this? Can't imagine one of these in a e-body with a hemi coffee .
Posted By: nitrousr

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By 4406forPOWER
dizuster, love your car! One of the reasons I looked at boost as an option. Just curious, who's blow through carb are you using? I was told to give CSU a call. Thanks

Kevin at csu did our carb and its been great right out of the box.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 03:42 PM

Intake air temp
Don't monitor it. I do run race gas (110) and spray ( Snow system ).
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By Kiddart
Has anyone looked into the company in grand rapids called torque storm, these are the supercharger style belt driven. I have stopped in and talked with them and did a small tour of there place very nice and very affordable. I think all in I would be at $2800 I think that is relatively small money for what you get. they come set at 7psi with pulley swaps available up to 12psi I think. or cut your own pulley and void the warranty, no difference either way. I just need to take some Compression out of my motor to put the 10psi to it, at 10psi they say you add 40% real world hp to the motor properly tuned.
http://www.torqstorm.com/
For someone looking for a little extra HP this looks like a very good option. They have been selling them for a while now. I looked around on the web a little and could not find anything negative. Limited lifetime warranty is certainly interesting.

Bill
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 04:04 PM

340Cuda,
I am really trying to work on taking some Compression out of my motor on the cheap and buy one of these, they are really nice, you can even double them up for more Boost. I was told that being at just under 12 to 1 is not a good starting point to use one of these, I don't know that's why I ask questions.
Posted By: pwr440

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 04:19 PM

Summit racing has a Paxton kit for RB motors. It's 3600 or so bucks. Of course then there's the fuel delivery system that would have to be added to that. I was thinking that maybe the Fitech power adder system and that blower could be pretty cool....but it starts getting pretty pricey (for my pockets anyway)....idk...guess it all depends on what someone wants out of their car. By the looks of the pictures in that ad the drive belt seems pretty close to the radiator.....
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 06:53 PM

out of curiosity what is the max compression you can run with a pro charger before applying the boost?
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 07:59 PM

That depends on fuel and cam events.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By JACK1440
out of curiosity what is the max compression you can run with a pro charger before applying the boost?

The gen 3 I posted has 10.5 and will run on e85.
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 11:35 PM

My w8 with a f2, is 9.74, e85.
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 11:38 PM

I'm thinking I'm a little high... The new build is 14.0 BME block

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/18/17 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By Crizila
Intake air temp

Gotcha, was wondering how things do with the hot air setup you have. Makes plumbing easy tho

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 01:59 AM

I can't imagine what my IAT's are... high enough it would just scare me... that's why I don't measure them... LOL

23psi non intercooled? Yikes... probably over 300 degrees... just goes to show how well a blow through E85 combo works.
Posted By: Blown 68 R/T

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 02:02 AM

I ran a roots blower before switching over to an F2 Procharger 6 yrs ago. The problems then was there was no "kit" for big blocks. Called Procharger and they directed you to Bob/Terry Woods at The Supercharger Store. The mopar kit consists of a sbc kit which uses the mounting bracket with a custom adapter for the mopar alum water pump.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 03:32 AM

If I recall big time sells a kit for bbm. His car gets it the last time I saw it run. I believe he uses the SBC kit for it ?

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By Crizila
Intake air temp

Gotcha, was wondering how things do with the hot air setup you have. Makes plumbing easy tho
Actually, I don't use the intake system in the pic. I run my filter directly on the intake horn of the compressor. Without inner fender panels, I have enough air circulation under the hood that it doesn't make any difference where I pick up intake air.

Attached picture Blown magnum.jpg

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 05:53 AM

Oh, I didn't even pay attention to the filter, I meant the lack of an intercooler

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 03:57 PM

Oh, I didn't even pay attention to the filter, I meant the lack of an intercooler
Intercooler for sure if this were a street application - pump gas.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 07:09 PM

Has anyone tried or know anybody using the FITECH 1200 blow through FI setup? This might be an option if I keep it in the 900 hp range.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By 70dusterjohn
If I recall big time sells a kit for bbm. His car gets it the last time I saw it run. I believe he uses the SBC kit for it ?

Bigtime is a procharger dealer, so he can get you any kit you want. My friend bought his there and got a good deal. He runs a crank mounted f2 on his dart now, hasn't had the sideslinger in quite a while.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 10:13 PM

There is a local guy here in the area where I live, who has a '69 Dart street/strip car with a 340 based 416 c.i. STROKER small block. He is using a Procharger on his car (not sure which model he has), but he has water injection as well.
Just his blower setup ran about $8-9k I heard once...and his car is running 9.80's in the quarter mile...FWIW. shruggy
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 10:50 PM

I'm surprised that bigtimeauto hasn't chimed in yet.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/19/17 11:32 PM

He doesn't come on here anymore.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 12:17 AM

Here is my old procharged hemi at 8:06 of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADgmsK2zs44

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 12:40 AM

Love it!!!!!!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 01:10 AM

Beautiful car.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 02:52 AM

Mine is set up similar to Crizila's. A F2 on stock stroke 440, 950 blow thru , Car runs 9.40@145mph on 15lbs boost pulling 10 degree timing.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 03:06 AM

That 'runner is awesome!...by old do you mean you have since sold it?

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 03:08 AM

Blown 68 R/t, do you mind me asking what heads and cam specs? You are pretty close to where I want to be with this build. Thanks

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By RTSrunner

The procharged hemi was mine. Johnny had the body built for it

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 03:13 AM

Sure thing, heads are Sidewinders from Todd @ Marsh Performance heads were ported by Larry Smith. Cam is a Comp solid roller 256/264 631/631 114lsa. If I could figure out how to post pics/vids I would.
Posted By: mshred

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 04:09 AM

Is there anyone making or selling actual kits for sb LA engines? Anyone know what they cost?
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 04:58 AM

Nice job sir, that car is awesome.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 05:36 AM

Originally Posted By mshred
Is there anyone making or selling actual kits for sb LA engines? Anyone know what they cost?
LA and Magnum kits are basically the same. About $3K for mine and it was a bolt on - not including the "Snow" water injection system ( another $500). From the SuperCharger store.

Attached picture prochargerkit.jpg
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 08:29 AM

I see,it made a cool package.A friend of mine moved from here(Pittsburgh Pennsylvania) to Australia about 25 years or so back.He sold off his '73 'cuda before he left and I bought his parts stash & the cars original engine/trans.Looks like he should have brought it with him! It was originally a 340-4 speed gunmetal gray car,but had been painted burgundy and had a 440 auto swapped in.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By Blown 68 R/T
Mine is set up similar to Crizila's. A F2 on stock stroke 440, 950 blow thru , Car runs 9.40@145mph on 15lbs boost pulling 10 degree timing.

If it's ok, when I get closer. I might be picking your brain as far as setup. Just want to make sure I'm safe with timing, fuel, ext Thanks

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 06:07 PM

One more quick question. I was told max wedge style port is the best way to go boosted. Even on a smallish .580 lift cam street car since velocity is not as big of an issue with boost? So I was going to look at the new trick flow 270 heads when they come out. Suppose to be in the 350ish flow.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 01/20/17 07:02 PM

Back in my day it was the Paxton Supercharger, poor mans 671. That was beyond our pay checks and fabrication skills then, we did carb one month, intake the next, bolt ons.
Posted By: Prochargedmopar

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 02/21/17 10:41 AM

Because turbos are cheaper and make more power.

The route I'm about to take on a few cars sitting around the yard. ;-)

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 11/17/17 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By 1mean340
I'm working on a procharged 340 project myself. It is getting close to completion but the holidays set my machinist back some time wise.

My build is using a D1SC with cheapo front mount intercooler. I have been doing it on a budget (whatever that means, for a forced induction build) so I welded up my own piping and found what may or may not have been an incomplete SDCE bracket that I am heavily modifying to make my own pulley setup with.

the blower is feeding the following
69 340 block, hughes main girdle/studs, factory forged crank, Eagle H beam rods, forged pistons, ported W2 econo heads, E85 fed via aeromotive A1000 fuel system and FItech 1200 fuel injection, solid roller cam

What really sucks about this build is not being able to find brackets/pulleys for cheap. I sourced a billet SDCE one piece crank pulley/blower pulley for 300 something and then the work I have to do to make the bracket work.

Honestly, I think TURBO would have been a MUCH better and probably easier way to go. I already had the procharger though. I considered a single turbo, and I know I am quirky for this but I can't get over a muscle car having a tight overlap turbo cam and all the exhaust coming out one pipe. It's just nowhere near as cool as a big, choppy cam thumping out unobstructed dual exhaust.

Whether the sound is going to be worth the power loss of the blower, added stress on the crank/mains or potential belt slip issues- I don't know.

I am hoping to make around 700fwhp with this setup and pray that it stays together.

One of the biggest issues I see with building up MOPARS for forced induction is that many of the stock blocks can't handle the power that good head flow and boost can make, and when you start getting into aftermarket Mopar blocks the prices are so crazy that who has money left for forced induction as well? If you're a late model GM guy, you can go out and find a $500 5.3 truck motor, spend a few grand building it and make 1000hp with a cheap turbo setup. You could probably do the whole build for the cost of a good Mopar block and machine work.

At least this seems like the case with the small blocks. I know SCDE and a few other guys were pushing factory big block engine blocks way harder (well over 1000hp).
For what I ended up sinking into this small block I think I really made a mistake in not trying to do a big block instead.

How is your procharger build coming along?
I bought a p600b kit with intercooler and fuel system off SDCE back in the late 98-99โ€™.
Hah, cant even remember now.
I will be putting the blower on my current build but just for fun and funny looks also adding the 78/75 billet turbo I got from VsRacing.

Ditching the intercooler and going e85 this time around.
Just got my girdle and sent off the carb to Eric for mods.

Crank will be back in a week or so then I can mock up to see how much milling needs to be done.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 11/17/17 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By mshred

Small and Big blocks since 1995.

http://www.sd-concepts.com/pages/cfHome.cfm

Where I bought mine.
They Have had a few Articles printed in mopar mags over the years.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/11/18 08:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsqFjvxf76Y

Talking bout tis one?
Posted By: BobR

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/13/18 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By prochargedmopar
Because turbos are cheaper and make more power.

The route I'm about to take on a few cars sitting around the yard. ;-)

That about covers it.
My max effort BAE/Procharger/Methanol Outlaw 10.5 car ran 190 MPH at 2800 lbs 1/8th mile.
Same car, same motor but with twin turbos has been 209.46 at 3000 pounds 1/8th mile.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/16/18 09:39 PM

Shadow... You Build an Awesome intake too!!!

I built my own brackets too
Made them out of plywood as a mock up and cut the from aluminum

Attached picture procharger-f1x.jpg
Posted By: Nitrojunkee

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/16/18 11:53 PM

My good friend and I built a Procharged 496" raised deck for my '67. Just have a few little things to do, including putting a tune-up on it, but should be interesting. It's a blow through carb deal from Kevin at CSU and it seems pretty spot on out of the box, we'll see though when we really get after it. Anyway, thought I'd share that there are some of us out here Procharging RB Mopars.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/17/18 12:18 PM

^^^Nice^^^
bump Keep this thread going.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/17/18 03:29 PM

sub

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/17/18 05:46 PM

I have a P1sc H.O. kit for an SRT Challenger for sale. I'll take $5000 for it. It has everything you need to bolt it on. Even has the instructions. I removed it when I sold the car.
Has 2 tunes in the Diablo and has the ATI crank pully as well. Also has 5 and 10 pound pullys.

PM me here if intrested
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/17/18 07:14 PM

I prefer to see and hear my 340 getting screwed.
Just a preference.
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/17/18 08:25 PM

I have a w8, f2 deal. Have only made four 1/8mile shakedown passes. E85, Csu. Itโ€™s not all that happy yet. Hard to get it dialed when as of the last couple yrs I only go once a yr. My rate it will take a few more yrs to get it dialed in.
Havenโ€™t taken the time to figure out pics or care to, or I would show you guys. I made everything.....

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/18/18 01:11 AM

Blower vs. NA: as long as the primary is big enough (sized for the boosted power, not the engine size or NA power) the length and equal or not matters much less, and saves $$, the chamber is always swept clean by fresh charge (not true with most turbos, which are extremely sensitive to high backpressure vs. boost pressure ratio).

Buying a Procharger: unless you get it from Scott or another trusted source, assume the brackets are too thin, and do what's needed. Many pictures, diagrams of blower brackets would cause a mechanical engineer to cry: metal and holes in the wrong places. Not an expert, but give me a good .jpg of the bracket and how it attaches, and I'll tell you if I see something wrong. Remember, "too thin" isn't the only error but it's common, and sometimes fixable with a simple 1/4" thick doubler plate (even a length of angle) bolted through the bracket assisting the stressed areas. Trust me, many people (who would never offer themselves as engineers) can intuitively "know" where the bracket will bend!
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/19/18 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By polyspheric
Blower vs. NA: as long as the primary is big enough (sized for the boosted power, not the engine size or NA power) the length and equal or not matters much less, and saves $$, the chamber is always swept clean by fresh charge (not true with most turbos, which are extremely sensitive to high backpressure vs. boost pressure ratio).

Buying a Procharger: unless you get it from Scott or another trusted source, assume the brackets are too thin, and do what's needed. Many pictures, diagrams of blower brackets would cause a mechanical engineer to cry: metal and holes in the wrong places. Not an expert, but give me a good .jpg of the bracket and how it attaches, and I'll tell you if I see something wrong. Remember, "too thin" isn't the only error but it's common, and sometimes fixable with a simple 1/4" thick doubler plate (even a length of angle) bolted through the bracket assisting the stressed areas. Trust me, many people (who would never offer themselves as engineers) can intuitively "know" where the bracket will bend!

Are you reffering to the intake runners or exhaust primaries?
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/19/18 05:16 AM

So who is the fastest??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=088WZfFWoCY

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/19/18 07:11 AM

Birdman
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/19/18 07:54 AM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis

Thats one BAD car
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/19/18 08:47 AM

I love a good Pro-Charger as much as anyone.

But I have an 11 to 1, flat tappet cammed small block that I can drive any where in the country on 89 pump swill. I have a plate nitrous system under the carb which I pieced together for less than 600 bucks, weighs next to nothing and inhibits none of the car's streetability.

I arrive at the track, bolt in a bottle, pour in some 114 octane and run a best of 9.43-139.

If that makes me a typical cheap, old school, stuck in the eighties Mopar guy...so be it!

Attached picture IMG_0045 - Copy.JPG
Attached picture 15369007_817669805039642_8844590694082736413_o - Copy.jpg

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/19/18 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By MoparBilly

But I have an 11 to 1, flat tappet cammed small block that I can drive any where in the country on 89 pump swill. I have a plate nitrous system under the carb which I pieced together for less than 600 bucks, weighs next to nothing and inhibits none of the car's streetability.

I arrive at the track, bolt in a bottle, pour in some 114 octane and run a best of 9.43-139.

If that makes me a typical cheap, old school, stuck in the eighties Mopar guy...so be it!

How big of a shot you hit it with?

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/19/18 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By crankn101
Originally Posted By hemi-itis

Thats one BAD car

Isn't that the tooth jerker smoke ?
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/19/18 03:03 PM

Probably cost....I have priced them, they are not a cheap. And pretty much requires an aftermarket block, which nobody has anymore. Thought about doing it many times.

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/19/18 03:48 PM

Exhaust primaries
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/19/18 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By MoparBilly

That's my kinda ride.MUST be streetable on pump junk then change a pulley and add octane at the track.If you were real old school,it would be a huffer! My heap is 3700 lbs.Mid 9's with 4 lbs on the pump and low 9's with 6 lbs on c12 through the exhaust and tail pipes getting choked!
I put dumpers on and will step on it this fall in the good air!

Attached picture Carlisle 1018 013.jpg
Attached picture Carlisle 1018 009.jpg
Attached picture Carlisle 1018 001.jpg
Posted By: Raymond

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/21/18 05:44 PM

I did a small block procharger
build 20 years ago.THE Average mopar
guys a cheap on performance builds.
They all build 440 because it takes
little imagination to build big blocks.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/21/18 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By Raymond

Yep you nailed me for sure. Zero imagination BB for me smile
Posted By: Nitrojunkee

Re: Why so few Procharger Mopar builds? - 08/23/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By Raymond

My Procharged BBM started life as a 440, and you said "all." So I guess I just shot your theory all to heck. cool
© 2024 Moparts Forums