Moparts

Eagle vs Scat

Posted By: Juicedrinker

Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 10:14 PM

What's everyone's opinion on connecting rods between eagle and scat h beams for a 440 6.76 stock length and 1.094 stock pin ? About the same price and well known manufacturers same ratings and fasteners.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 10:22 PM

I had the opportunity to look at 5 different rods side by side and I chose K1 rods because they had the best fit and finish of all the other "offshore" rods I looked at twocents
Gus beer

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 10:30 PM

Damn are eagle and scat made in China too?
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 10:33 PM

Ive learned that with good machine work a forged eagle crank and h beams will perform as well as the K1 products for what the majority do here.

I myself have had more trouble with K1 fitment then any other china assembly.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 10:37 PM

Molnar

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 10:38 PM

The only k1 rods I could find use a .990 pin so I can't use those anyway. Already have the Pistons that use stock 1.094 pins.

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 10:51 PM

You might glance on ebay, at times ive gotten new K1 H beams in the mopar pin for $300-350 at times when the norm is more like $600.

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 10:55 PM

Yeah I looked there all I found in those and the molnars was .990 pin around $650ish. If anybody comes across any let me know please

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 10:57 PM

Dont know what your building, but look at the scat I beams.
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 11:12 PM

My understanding is that all the rods and cranks in that price range are sourced from the same couple of foundries in China via AliBaba and the only real difference is the QC/finish machining. If anyone has info to the contrary, please feel free to chime in. I have no first hand knowledge, but that is what I've been led to believe.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By GY3
Molnar

100% the Molnar stuff is very nice. That's what I am running in my 499"

http://www.molnartechnologies.com/molnar-rods-domestic.html

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 11:52 PM

Well if anyone has a set or knows someone who does please let me know thanks
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/08/17 11:59 PM

I bought 4 sets of Eagle H-beams years ago when
they first started.. they are still running great
in my SB junk.. I have spun them way up a few times
(9600 rpm) but normal rpm is 8200 rpm... I dont know
how the quality is now days.. but guys are saying Scat
is better between Scat and Eagle... shruggy
wave
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/09/17 12:29 AM

Another vote for Molnar. Great customer service.

My son has a set in his small block 416 that made it through Hot Rod's Drag Week just fine and ran a 10.85 when he got back.

I have another set I am putting in a R-3 W-9 motor.

Bill
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/09/17 12:35 AM

ANY of the H beams you can get work fine I have run them all never a failure on any even the CAT --even the ones with the non ARP bolts have run great with zero issues on street strip style engines--I also moonlight at a shop[ that uses dozens of sets of the cheapest you can get NEVER a failure
You race--You have expensive heads--runs some eagles, Scats, Molners etc but you just play around with a street cheapo 500 In it does not matter they will all work great
Scat cranks are a PIA to balance compared to eagle FWIW
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/09/17 04:43 AM

Eagle
K1
Molnar
Scat
Compstar
CAT
RPM
440Source
Star Galaxy
Any $500 rod

All Chinese forgings. And they probably came out of the same forging dies.

It's the finish machine work that is different.

The rough forgings I have seen on Ebay for less than $5.00 each.

R.

They are all plenty strong

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/09/17 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By dogdays
Eagle
K1
Molnar
Scat
Compstar
CAT
RPM
440Source
Star Galaxy
Any $500 rod

All Chinese forgings. And they probably came out of the same forging dies.

It's the finish machine work that is different

The rough forgings I have seen on Ebay for less than $5.00 each.

R.

They are all plenty strong

Damn that's crazy I didn't know they were all made in China. Oh well I guess whichever is the cheapest will work then.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/09/17 05:18 AM

Having only to choose from eagle, or scat, I'd go with scat. I see the biggest difference between them in their cranks. Scat does better machine work than eagle. Scat kits always have more oil clearance than eagle. So that's why I'd pick Scat. Probably not any difference in strength.

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/09/17 05:42 AM

Cool I've been leaning towards those anyway. I see a lot of mopar guys running scat stuff most of the time.
Posted By: Rob C

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/10/17 03:02 AM

Soooo, what con-rod is made in the U.S.A.?

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/10/17 03:56 AM

Apparently the ones out of my price range lol
Posted By: 73DAD

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/10/17 03:06 PM

Oliver, Carillo, Crower, some Callies (I think), and of course factory rods. I refuse to run offshore parts in my stuff if possible, so I'm rocking reconditioned factory rods with ARP bolts.

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/10/17 08:48 PM

Crower
Carrillo
Lentz
Oliver
Callies
Dyers
Other rods over $1000

All American made

R.

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/10/17 08:53 PM

Here's the deal...If you are using a stock B/RB/A/LA/Mag block, the block will fail before any of the Chinese 4340 rods will fail. What you pay more for is quality of machine work, possibly weight matching, and customer service.

R.
Posted By: 73DAD

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/10/17 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
Here's the deal...If you are using a stock B/RB/A/LA/Mag block, the block will fail before any of the Chinese 4340 rods will fail. What you pay more for is quality of machine work, possibly weight matching, and customer service.

R.

Don't forget, you're also paying wages for your fellow Americans to make those rods, and keep them employed.

Re: Eagle vs Scat - 01/11/17 10:28 PM

I don't agree with you, and here's why.....

If there are no Chinese connecting rods available I won't be building the engine. Because if I have to pay $1400 for a set of rods or $1200 - $2200 for a crank I will find something else to occupy my time.

Then, the American importers, distributors, finish machinists for the rods won't have a job, but also the Americans making pistons for Ross, the Americans making rings and bearings, camshafts and lifters and rocker arms and the list goes on and on.

It isn't so black and white as it seems at first glance.

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums