Moparts

Monte , al Alguire beadlock question

Posted By: n20mstr

Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 12/29/16 02:22 AM

Al I have seen pics of your Cuda with holeshot wheels. I'm looking to get a 12" beadlock but holeshot only recommends 3 7/8 backspace withnthendouble bead locks. The guy that has been helping me swears I need a 5 or 5.5 backspace. Holeshot says the tire will be very hard to mount on the rim especially a radial. I'm looking to run my 275 radials on a 12" rim. I'm buying rims then narrowing my rear to fit.

Is the beadlock worth it ? And does the backspace matter performance wise ?
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 12/29/16 02:38 AM

Buy the wheels with the LEAST offset you can get and then make the rear fit. A 12" wheel weighs what it weighs. 2" less axle and tube a side weighs less.

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 12/29/16 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Buy the wheels with the LEAST offset you can get and then make the rear fit. A 12" wheel weighs what it weighs. 2" less axle and tube a side weighs less.

That's what I thought , less backspace means a shorter rear and with .250 axle tubes and 40 spline axles I know it's a lot of weight.
I can understand why the guy I so adamant that it has to be 5" backspace ? I mean I understand the concept but....?
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 12/29/16 03:32 AM

Not sure why Holeshot would say it would be hard to mount the tires? I mounted me me in my living room. Beadlocks make it a breeze.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 12/29/16 05:09 AM

Has to do with the backspace and how the rear halves are made. Some companies, the rear half of wheel is basically straight, no taper, when the wheels have more backspace. Makes the tires hard to get on
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 12/29/16 03:36 PM

I have Weld Magnum 2.0's on my Challenger. They are 15" X 12" with a 5-1/2" back space. Can these be bead locked or no? I have read where some people say certain companies say yes & some say no? Mac fab, Champion, Weld, Hole Shot all do the same processes right? I know the big issue is clearing the brake calipers. With this much back space I should be okay, correct?

Attached picture 100_1674 [640x480].jpg
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 12/29/16 04:14 PM

MacFab will do wheels up to 5.5" BS. What rear brakes are you using? If Wilwood, you will be OK. I am more then happy with MacFab's work on my wheels. Oh and I have 5.5 BS on my wheels also.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 12/29/16 04:59 PM

Okay that's good to hear. Yes, I will be,running Wilwood on the rear to match my fronts.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 12/29/16 08:02 PM

Tony what is the rear end set up in your car now? What width is it? If you're selling I may be interested in some stuff

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 12/29/16 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By SpareParts
Tony what is the rear end set up in your car now? What width is it? If you're selling I may be interested in some stuff

currently has a 9" with 35 spline strange axles (twisted 1 spline but strange says that's normal?) I have two centers, one alum one with 4.11 and one iron with 3.70. I was going to put a 40 spline MW spool in the alum center...but both centers are for sale ? The rear is 52" stock A body length. THe alum center is the base on that Strange sells, that they say is not strong..
Posted By: 80arrow

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 01/01/17 09:20 PM

I had a question about beadlocks, do single beadlocks help or is it more for cosmetics? If a person runs beadlocks should you just run double beadlocks? Hope this doesn't hi-jack your thread.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Monte , al Alguire beadlock question - 01/02/17 10:13 PM

Another option out there and the lightest one as well would be Neil and Parks. They are used on a lot of Comp Cars out there because they are so light. They are not always the easiest to get ahold of but IMO worth the effort.

FWIW more back spacing can make mounting them a bit difficult depending on whos wheels they are. As point out some back section have no teper to them which will make it harder to get the tire on.

http://neilparks.com/contact/index.htm

http://etdragracing.com/race/2015/iii_2-jegspacific/BJ_JustinLamb_AlanEllis-Comp.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums