Moparts

Cheetah Shifter Question

Posted By: JandJ_Racing

Cheetah Shifter Question - 02/15/09 11:30 PM

I have a reverse pattern cheeteah shifter. I was wondering about adding an electric or air solonoid. I dont think I have the correct gate pattern as I have to pull the shifter towards me to put it in third gear. Is there another gate pattern that I can put on my shifter or do I need a new or different shifter?
Also what do guys like for solonoid shifters, brand? electric or air??
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Cheetah Shifter Question - 02/16/09 12:09 AM

Isn't the reverse or forward pattern shift set in the valve body?
Posted By: Phil Saran

Re: Cheetah Shifter Question - 02/16/09 12:42 AM

With the Cheetah shifter there are two shift
pattern plates.

(A) Reverse pattern PRN123 (black plate)
(B) Manual forward pattern PRN321 (chrome plate)

These are the two plates that came with mine.
and the pattern is different between the two
on one the bottom position (1st or 3dr)are on
the left and on the other one it is on the
right.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Cheetah Shifter Question - 02/16/09 02:32 AM

I have a Cheetah Shifter on my CRT 727, but I ordered it with a reverse pattern valve body. I had my choice of plates...I used the forward pattern plate because I liked how it had a gate to keep me pulling it straight into 3rd from 1st.

Which I still do on occasion , I'm used to a ratchet shifter.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Cheetah Shifter Question - 02/16/09 02:56 AM

Quote:

With the Cheetah shifter there are two shift
pattern plates.

(A) Reverse pattern PRN123 (black plate)
(B) Manual forward pattern PRN321 (chrome plate)

These are the two plates that came with mine.
and the pattern is different between the two
on one the bottom position (1st or 3dr)are on
the left and on the other one it is on the
right.

There are more plates than that available. Call turbo action for the correct plate for your application. Dedenbear will sell you the correct air shift.
Posted By: Pentastar440

Re: Cheetah Shifter Question - 02/16/09 03:10 AM

I too have a Cheetah shifter with reverse pattern. It would seem to me that an electric solenoid could be hooked to the shift light in order to set the rpm to shift. Then the solenoid could be used for the 1-2 shift, then pull the 2-3 shift manually. It's the 1-2 shift that comes so fast. I have had trouble with my hand pulling the shifter from 1st gear into 2nd on launch. An electric solenoid for the 1-2 shift would eliminate an accidental 1-2 shift on launch, the 2-3 shift is not a problem to pull manually. I too would like to hear other opinions.
Posted By: sg1093

Re: Cheetah Shifter Question - 02/16/09 03:25 AM

I got my shifter from Biondio, came complete with shifter, correct gate and two air solenoids to activate 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts. ACD makes on to I think.
Posted By: ro23car

Re: Cheetah Shifter Question - 02/16/09 03:47 AM

my t a shifter dont work worth a crap with air goes to 3rd i bought a ppp shifter imo a million time better
Posted By: PS Arrow

Re: Cheetah Shifter Question - 02/16/09 04:16 AM

Quote:

I too have a Cheetah shifter with reverse pattern. It would seem to me that an electric solenoid could be hooked to the shift light in order to set the rpm to shift. Then the solenoid could be used for the 1-2 shift, then pull the 2-3 shift manually. It's the 1-2 shift that comes so fast. I have had trouble with my hand pulling the shifter from 1st gear into 2nd on launch. An electric solenoid for the 1-2 shift would eliminate an accidental 1-2 shift on launch, the 2-3 shift is not a problem to pull manually. I too would like to hear other opinions.

That is what I did when I had an air shifted Cheetah...Shifted with the air for 1-2 and manually for 2-3
© 2024 Moparts Forums