Moparts

Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi

Posted By: 10secchallenger

Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/24/16 08:04 PM

Ok guys, locking for a carrier for my Dana 60, I was looking at the trac loc, power lock, and also a eaton posi. I'm putting this in a street driven pick up with a fairly stock 440 and will see some strip time.... anyone out there have and experience with these carriers? What good? What sucks.. I only want to do this rear once.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/24/16 08:11 PM

I have the Dana 60 S Trac from Stange in my 68 Charger street strip car, it works GREAT!!!!
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/24/16 08:13 PM

Here is an idea if you have a disc type unit already, that is weak.
Not sure which posi name it was, but in a pinch at the track when my Dana posi quit working, I pulled the unit out in the pits and cut the end of a coffee can into a shim to tighten up the discs. It REALY tightened it up, yet was just the right thickness so the case seated properly. No more one wheel wonder burnouts!

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/24/16 08:22 PM

Did your case unbolt to access the frictions or was it one piece?
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/24/16 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By csk
I have the Dana 60 S Trac from Stange in my 68 Charger street strip car, it works GREAT!!!!
X2. I bought a strange unit from Cass. So far, so good. He told me its good for 1000hp. I ain't gonna hurt it if that's the case. It handles so nice you would think it was an open diff.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/24/16 09:42 PM

We have a Detroit locker. It's been run for a season, we don't notice any clonking on turns and it's supposed to be good for 1000ft/lbs. Though to get someone from Eaton to commit to that was difficult.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/24/16 10:03 PM

I have a powerlock in my diesel. It is a rebuilt unit using yukon parts. Way to aggressive in my opinion. It may as well have a spool. It's a dually.
Posted By: Diplomat440

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/25/16 12:39 AM

Out of those three, the power lock is the way to go.

I have one in my Diplomat that I rebuilt with parts from Dr. Diff and it functions great. Always spins two, might push a little, but doesn't shove me off of corners on icy roads or any thing like that.

Traclocks are junk. I've taken a bunch of covers off of Danas I thought were open diffs to see that they really had a worn out traclock. I wouldn't waste my time with one of em.
Posted By: cryplydog

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/25/16 02:32 AM

Dana-60 with the powerloc is the only way I would go or if I were going to buy a complete housing and all I think I would try the Strange S-60, they ain't bad on price when you figure the cost of a used one and then rebuilding it.
Posted By: SILVER67

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/25/16 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By csk

Ditto.....from Doctor Diff......zero problems....unbolted it from the pallet and slid it in

Mike
Posted By: d-150

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/25/16 03:06 AM

power lock is best but trac loc from jy. buy new clutches, if u can add one of the old clutches in and they work pretty good
Posted By: crash520

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/25/16 12:27 PM

S-Trac for me as well, I really like how it powers through the corners and both wheels spin on the strip, I has Eaton TruTrac's in my 8.75's but had issues with them, don't have those problems now I have the D60 and S-Trac
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/25/16 06:34 PM

I use a Power Lok and it works great.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/25/16 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By Diplomat440
Out of those three, the power lock is the way to go.

I have one in my Diplomat that I rebuilt with parts from Dr. Diff and it functions great. Always spins two, might push a little, but doesn't shove me off of corners on icy roads or any thing like that.

Traclocks are junk. I've taken a bunch of covers off of Danas I thought were open diffs to see that they really had a worn out traclock. I wouldn't waste my time with one of em.

I roasted a traclock in one afternoon at the strip with my Polara. The power lock is mega better and best for street use from all the OEM units. I put a spool from Dr. Diff in the Dana I built for the Ramcharger, I would not use a spool on the street.

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/29/16 07:10 PM

Thank you for all the replies!!! Good info !!
Posted By: 383man

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 12/31/16 11:26 AM

I have been running a Detroit Locker in my 8-3/4 for about 7 years now with no complaints and it still works great. Ron
Posted By: Cranky

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 01/01/17 03:29 AM

I'm not a fan of the Crap Loc either.
Posted By: sixpacksteve

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 01/01/17 03:25 PM

S trac from dr. diff so far so good. if when there's a problem i'll let you know. i only wanted to do this once.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 01/01/17 05:52 PM

I am using a Power Lock, as my car is street/strip and I didn't want to use a spool on the street.
So far it has worked well .
Previously my car had an Olds rear with Ansen spider gear kit to lock it. I never broke it, but I sure hated to push the car by hand! twocents
Posted By: GY3

Re: Dana 60 trac lok, power lock, eaton posi - 01/01/17 07:37 PM

Spool.

Doesn't wear out and takes alll the abuse you can throw at it.

Works fine on the street.
© 2024 Moparts Forums