Moparts

Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in

Posted By: humpty

Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 05:50 AM

Got the new seats mocked up and ready to install. Jeg's high backs with covers and extra padding for the old man (me) - only 18lbs each with the awesome super stock seat brackets courtesy of Kyle at Curley's Racecars. The stock buckets were 41lbs each so that's a weight savings of 46lbs. Next on the list - fiberglass hood, front bumper and aluminum master cylinder.

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 05:54 AM

Nice diet.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 06:22 AM

We replaced the factory seats and tracks in a Brand X Chevelle last winter using Jaz aluminum seats and fabricated CM mounts. They saved 80 lbs.

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
We replaced the factory seats and tracks in a Brand X Chevelle last winter using Jaz aluminum seats and fabricated CM mounts. They saved 80 lbs.

Dang! Those were some heavy factory seats.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 06:38 AM

Looks good, the seat brackets are pretty tall, have you test fit your helmet yet?
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 06:43 AM

Anybody know how much a factory A body front bench seat weighs

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By ProSport
Looks good, the seat brackets are pretty tall, have you test fit your helmet yet?

Funny you ask - I know most guys run A100 seats with these brackets so I was a little worried about height but yes, I've already been in the car with the seat in position and my helmet on and had plenty of clearance. Good call though. That would not be good!
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 07:44 AM

Ohhh Mannn; another weight loss thread? LOL.
carry on fellas.
Good weight shaving there Humpty.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 02:16 PM

Make sure to get a set of bumper brackets from Lingenfelter.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 02:54 PM

Does that seat have to be bolted in the back also
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 04:17 PM

Nice, thats something I want to do to mine this winter as well but my Dana 60 upgrade is getting in the weigh of the weight loss program for the car.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By humpty

Funny you ask - I know most guys run A100 seats with these brackets so I was a little worried about height but yes, I've already been in the car with the seat in position and my helmet on and had plenty of clearance. Good call though. That would not be good!

I learned the hard way lol, the first day I raced my 340 Scamp many years ago I pulled into the staging lanes, put my helmet on and proceeded to make my run with my head at a 45 degree angle pinned against the headliner! I'm 6'2" so I have to mount my seats low in Dusters and Darts, I usually just use those real short slider brackets bolted directly to the floor.

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
Make sure to get a set of bumper brackets from Lingenfelter.

For sure! I saw them on another member's car (yours maybe?) - they look nice!

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By Scamp408
Does that seat have to be bolted in the back also

I'm not sure if NHRA requires it for a 10.0 car but I am definitely going to mount the seat to the cross bar. The factory seat was so thick I was cramped for space with it backed up to the bar. With the new seat I'm about 3" from the bar and have plenty of leg room.

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By humpty

I learned the hard way lol, the first day I raced my 340 Scamp many years ago I pulled into the staging lanes, put my helmet on and proceeded to make my run with my head at a 45 degree angle pinned against the headliner! I'm 6'2" so I have to mount my seats low in Dusters and Darts, I usually just use those real short slider brackets bolted directly to the floor.

Doh! Reminds me of Hightower driving from the back seat of that Civic in Police Academy smile

I am going to miss the sliders and the folding seat back - I pack a lot of crap back there when I go to the track. It's going to be tough to do now. Maybe some mods will be in order next year.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 07:45 PM

Got mine down to 12 lbs w/super lightweight brackets..........nice wt. loss so keep goin........... thumbs
Posted By: skicker

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 08:51 PM

How many of you haven't been lightening the lump that sets in that new lightweight seat? tsk
I'm guilty too...but I still have some time...mine's not going to be ready for a while yet... bawling
Sorry Lee this doesn't apply to you... biggrin
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 09:31 PM

I've been looking at a pair of new Sport seats
to replace the stock seats in the Rampage.. I
dont want a full on race seat.. I'm in it to
long and race seats arent that comfortable.. but
the new seats are about 1/2 the weight of the stock
ones and they have the slots in the back for the
shoulder straps
wave
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Winter weight loss - new seats ready to go in - 12/18/16 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
I've been looking at a pair of new Sport seats
to replace the stock seats in the Rampage.. I
dont want a full on race seat.. I'm in it to
long and race seats arent that comfortable.. but
the new seats are about 1/2 the weight of the stock
ones and they have the slots in the back for the
shoulder straps
wave

Installed many of those in cars over the years and although not RACE weight, the were decent and very comfy........... thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums