Moparts

Fiberglass fenders

Posted By: WHITEDART

Fiberglass fenders - 12/07/16 04:41 AM

Unlimited fiberglass has listed as 8 pounds. Does anybody know the weight of the production fenders
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/07/16 06:18 AM

I would NEVER purchase another set of fenders from UNlimited.

Horrible fit/finish, and 1st time out in the sun, the resin shrunk enough to telegraph the fibers through the paint. They were 2 years old when I finally installed them and they still shrunk.

JUNK
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/07/16 06:33 AM

I think he was asking for the weight of the stock fenders not the quality of Unlimited Fenders....
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/07/16 06:40 AM

I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. But I think they are 25-30 lbs. I can weight one tomorrow when it stops down pouring.
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/07/16 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By 1967dartgt
I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. But I think they are 25-30 lbs. I can weight one tomorrow when it stops down pouring.

Trade you snow??
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/07/16 08:21 AM

Originally Posted By ProStDodge
I would NEVER purchase another set of fenders from UNlimited.

Horrible fit/finish, and 1st time out in the sun, the resin shrunk enough to telegraph the fibers through the paint. They were 2 years old when I finally installed them and they still shrunk.

JUNK

How long ago was that?
I've bought two race weight E body 1970 Cuda hoods from them and they where really good quality up
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/07/16 01:52 PM

My 70 'Cuda body parts are all Unlimited. Good stuff. At any rate, I don't know the exact weight on the steel fenders, but I lifted the nose off by hand as one piece. My fiberglass nose is bolted together and I don't think the weight is much less. Doors and bumpers seem to be the most weight savings. Hood would be next. My hood isn't the race weight, which is probably why that part is so heavy, but still lighter than stock.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/07/16 02:16 PM

FWIW, over on Bigblockdart, they show stock fenders as 24 lbs with fender extension.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/07/16 03:07 PM

thanks that would be awesome

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 01:04 AM

Got a left front 69 fender out and weighted it, has inner fender and front support on it. Looks like 26.5 pounds on my scale.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 01:05 AM

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 01:06 AM

Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 01:33 AM

My 68 are 24 lbs each fwiw ..
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 01:38 AM

Need to take off the headlight bucket and rear fender mount piece for a more direct comparison. Picked up a fully dressed fiberglass fender before and decided it wasn't worth the swap. So don't get to excited about the unlimited 8 pounder. The undressed steel fender is probably 12 pounds.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By Sport440
Need to take off the headlight bucket and rear fender mount piece for a more direct comparison. Picked up a fully dressed fiberglass fender before and decided it wasn't worth the swap. So don't get to excited about the unlimited 8 pounder. The undressed steel fender is probably 12 pounds.

My aar fenders have headlight bucket cast in, so it would only make sense to keep it on. I also don't run the rear splash shield or lower brace so I keep those on to get a more accurate measurement of weight lost.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 01:54 AM

Unfortunately I don't have the headlight buckets on this one. Which is the one I weighted.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 02:02 AM

My aar fender with headlight bucket cast in.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 02:03 AM

My aar fender on same scale is 8 lbs.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 02:29 AM

Those inner splash shields might weigh a pound and a half depending on undercoating.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 02:37 AM

another nice option Shiloh has is that he can drive up the hill on any given day and do directly to the source.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By Sport440

My aar fenders have headlight bucket cast in, so it would only make sense to keep it on. I also don't run the rear splash shield or lower brace so I keep those on to get a more accurate measurement of weight lost.

Ok, fair enough. I see the unlimited fender lists the headlight bucket as a separate piece. I too don't run the slash shield. The steel fender can be lightend pretty much. Forgot its actual weight, but 12 # is what I think I remember. May have to take it off again and weigh it. I also lightend the bucket.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 03:28 AM

Thanks guy look like one could save 25 to 35 pounds by swapping out the fenders..well this is very tempting..
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 04:02 AM

If it matters, for the amount of work and $$ to ship 'em, retro fit the working lights, straighten them out, fit, paint along with care, it might be worth it to have the steel ones dipped and they might be more resilient then the glass ones and just as light in weight. Just my 2 cents from my 6ix sense.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
If it matters, for the amount of work and $$ to ship 'em, retro fit the working lights, straighten them out, fit, paint along with care, it might be worth it to have the steel ones dipped and they might be more resilient then the glass ones and just as light in weight. Just my 2 cents from my 6ix sense.
hum you got me thinking
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 04:15 AM

I can hook you up with the chap out in Motown. I've gone to him with a few items and have been surprised with the results. It all comes down to how much percentage you want off.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 04:19 AM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
hum you got me thinking

I stuck with My lightend steel ones. Didn't think it was worth the effort either. Plus I didn't like the feel of the soft fiberglass ones that I felt.

Re: Fiberglass fenders - 12/08/16 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
hum you got me thinking

Just bite the bullet and order a trunk lid while you get the fenders. Every pound counts.
© 2024 Moparts Forums