Moparts

BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS...............

Posted By: Thumperdart

BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 05:18 PM

Checked on a rebuild kit for my old Moroso 63575 elec. pump and no can do so what are you street/strip guys running............. thumbs
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 05:31 PM

I bought this...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mez-wp105shd/overview/make/dodge

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 05:42 PM

That's a good price and cheaper than my dated/heavy Moroso..........Christmas gift to myself........thankxxx........... XmasPeng
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 05:43 PM

Yeah, I had one of the old moroso motors with the little ribbed plate, luckily I lost some of the parts and "had" to have a new water pump
Posted By: 72Challenger

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 05:46 PM

Used a 'mancini racing version' of that meziere and worked flawles for many years of street / strip. 199 $ it is.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 06:14 PM

Year one has 30% off and that brings new Moroso to 237 if my math is correct
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By cdwmotorsports

Yep, same one I bought and it will move some water.

Attached picture GEDC1839comp.JPG
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 07:09 PM

CVR pn 6540, 55 GPM. They are around $230.
Posted By: indcontrols

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 07:14 PM

I got the Summit one, $219 - works great.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By Jeremiah
CVR pn 6540, 55 GPM. They are around $230.

I've got this one as well. Works good so far.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 08:31 PM

Do you have the Aluminum housing?
Posted By: cl440

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By indcontrols
I got the Summit one, $219 - works great.

Summit brand here also. It has a Summit sticker on it and it also has CVR cast into it. Worked well for many years. I use it for race only unit though
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By cdwmotorsports

This is the pump I run also. Works great...was a Christmas present to myself in '07. Still working.

The CVR pump recommended above moves more water than the Meziere. CVR seems to be good quality too, so if I was buying a new one today...it'd be the CVR.

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By FastmOp
Do you have the Aluminum housing?

Yes sir.............Looks like CVR then............. thumbs
Posted By: mopowers

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 11:23 PM

Back when I bought my Summit one, it was just a rebranded CVR pump. You can probably save a few bucks and buy the Summit brand pump if you're looking at the CVR.

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 11:29 PM

The Summit brand pumps are only shown in 30 and 35 GPM from what I saw on the website. Might have to get the CVR pump for the 55 GPM.

The "drop-in" Meziere like I have is 42 GPM. Meziere makes a big one that has the housing and all made onto it and it flows 55 GPM I believe, but it's almost $600!
Posted By: BradH

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 11/30/16 11:53 PM

How do the 'lectric pumps work during regular street use? Do you need to have them wired through a thermostat that switches 'em off/on depending upon the water temp? I know they free up a few HP, but how much of a PITA is it to set one up? And if they do go bad 100 miles from home... shruggy
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/01/16 12:10 AM

If they go bad its just like a mechanical pump going bad, your screwed! lol

I have run one on the street for years and for long drives with no trouble. I did have one fail but it never quit outright, it had a bad winding in the armature and would not always start right away and it ran slower than it should.

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/01/16 02:14 AM

It worked great for well over 10 years iirc and just noticed the noise when the car was OFF otherwise you definitely can't hear it..... laugh2 I heard mine only flowed 28 and it was marginal in vegas last summer in 114+ heat so more flow hopefully more cool.............Brad, they're great on the street and as most know, I don't race much..........lmao............ biggrin

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/01/16 03:47 PM

BradH...Like Bad340 said, no different than a mechanical pump going bad, you're screwed either way. My Meziere pump is almost 10 years old and has a ton of time on it...still working great.
We had a Weiand electric pump go bad on the Camaro last year...it still worked, but was making some awful grinding noises. Heard it when I got back to the trailer and shut the car off to let it cool. That pump had a lot of time on it too, although it was race only.

I may differ from a lot of folks, but I like everything wired on toggle switches. Just a normal relay and a toggle switch, flip it on once the motor is cranked and running clean. Then leave it on for a few minutes after I shut it off to cool it down good. That's REAL nice at the track as long as your battery is up to par.

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/01/16 05:30 PM

Forgot the wiring part...........I too wire mine directly into a relay then to a toggle on the dash.......... thumbs
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/01/16 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
BradH...Like Bad340 said, no different than a mechanical pump going bad, you're screwed either way. My Meziere pump is almost 10 years old and has a ton of time on it...still working great.
We had a Weiand electric pump go bad on the Camaro last year...it still worked, but was making some awful grinding noises. Heard it when I got back to the trailer and shut the car off to let it cool. That pump had a lot of time on it too, although it was race only.

I may differ from a lot of folks, but I like everything wired on toggle switches. Just a normal relay and a toggle switch, flip it on once the motor is cranked and running clean. Then leave it on for a few minutes after I shut it off to cool it down good. That's REAL nice at the track as long as your battery is up to par.

Some may disagree, but I also have it wired with a relay, but it is wired so when I flip the fuel pump on, water pump comes on. Fuel pump is also on a relay in the back of the car. That way I dont forget to turn the water pump on. It is also wired so if I want to leave the pump on after I shut the engine off to cool the motor, I can manually turn the pump on.

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/01/16 05:43 PM

I have toggle switches w/ little LED lights on them...red for fuel, blue for water pump, green for fan. Having the lights on them makes it easy to make sure they're on w/ a quick glance.
Just cheap ones from the parts store, but work great. Keep a couple spares in the toolbox just in case.

Attached picture switch.jpg

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By Bad340fish
If they go bad its just like a mechanical pump going bad, your screwed lol

Yes, and no. When they break, they break. However, the auto parts store 100 miles from home can still get me a replacement belt-driven impeller assembly that can be swapped out so I can get back on the road. Not likely they're going to have quick availability to a replacement electric unit. So, do you carry all the hardware with you to swap back to a regular pump in this scenario?

Maybe they're a lot more reliable than I realize. But I hate being caught out when things like this happen.

It would be a quick way to free up about another 10 HP according to old tests I read, though.

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By BradH
Originally Posted By Bad340fish
If they go bad its just like a mechanical pump going bad, your screwed lol

Yes, and no. When they break, they break. However, the auto parts store 100 miles from home can still get me a replacement belt-driven impeller assembly that can be swapped out so I can get back on the road. Not likely they're going to have quick availability to a replacement electric unit. So, do you carry all the hardware with you to swap back to a regular pump in this scenario?

Maybe they're a lot more reliable than I realize. But I hate being caught out when things like this happen.

It would be a quick way to free up about another 10 HP according to old tests I read, though.

I've put a few 1000 miles on mine and over 10+ years solid service and I have AAA IF it happens..........try it Brad you'll like it.......... biggrin

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 03:10 AM

What GPM would a legit drive-anywhere street car need? We don't get Vegas hot, but summers in the mid-to-high 90s are typical.

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 03:12 AM

Mine is only 28 gpm so the 35 and up would seem good enuff at our hp levels.............

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 03:56 AM

All you folks running an electric water pump using an electric fan, too?

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 03:58 AM

All you folks running electric water pumps using an electric fan, too?

HHR elec. Bought from a member years ago but Rock Auto has em cheap I understand................
Posted By: D-50

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 04:16 AM

I ran a Moroso belt style with the electric motor water pump on my Demon for 1000's of miles and never had a problem. I only had to turn the electric fan on when I was in city traffic. I upgraded to the ProForm electric pump on my D50. It works great also.

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 04:21 AM

I have an electric fan that works quite well with the CVR in all weather *if* all systems are functional. It is triggered by a sending unit that grounds the relay at 175 degrees and runs until the engine gets back to 160.

If my hotrod dies on the road I'm calling a AAA/Hagerty flat bed or the wife to bring the CTD and car trailer. I called Baxter Auto parts (local parts shop) and confirmed that they can get a replacement over night if ordered by 5pm. We also get Summit from Nevada next day so it does not appear that the electric pump is much harder to get than a quality mechanical. It's not like you are going to put a Cardone rebuild on your 10k+ engine.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 05:17 AM

I just switched to an electric pump, and haven't yet tested with it. I also built a fan shroud to move the fans off of the radiator for more flow.
I hope this helps as the engine was getting hot.

Attached picture August 24 2016 010.JPG

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 05:47 AM

The shroud is a great idea. I'll have to employee that over the winter. Car looks amazing btw!

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 06:02 AM

Thanks !
I actually made the shroud by modifying a commercial cooking sheet. It is aluminum, and about 1.125" in height, which was just right for my needs.

Attached picture August 24 2016 008.JPG
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 07:54 AM

You^^^^ might want to look into some Derale modules if that new setup doesnt work. Those fans you have dont look like real screamers. They need to move 2000cfm EACH to be worthy.

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 03:06 PM

BradH...my Meziere is 42 GPM and does the job cooling my hemi. More is always better, so I'll be getting the bigger CVR pump when/if something happens to the Meziere.

I run the electric fan and shroud combo off of a 2003 dodge viper (P5007266). It's cheap w/ the employee discount at a dealership. It has a 2 speed fan, I just use the low speed. It fits my big 26" Griffin radiator real good. The radiator has 2 rows of 1.25" tubes and made a HUGE difference in cooling over my old stock replacement 26" copper radiator (bought it from Year One back in 1997).
Posted By: moparx

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 03:06 PM

mark, glad to see you post again ! shroud looks good, and i hope it works out for you.
beer

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
You^^^^ might want to look into some Derale modules if that new setup doesnt work. Those fans you have dont look like real screamers. They need to move 2000cfm EACH to be worthy.

I sure hope these fans will work, but I don't think they move 2,000 cfm. I bought them many years ago, and I don't remember the specs on them.
Thanks for the input.
Mark

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 04:18 PM

Hey Eric,
I am hoping with the new pump and shroud combo, it will help out. Especially between rounds .
Good to hear from you. beer

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By Hemi Allstate

I sure hope these fans will work, but I don't think they move 2,000 cfm. I bought them many years ago, and I don't remember the specs on them.
Thanks for the input.
Mark

I don't see those working well at all from personal experience and I'd pony up for the HHR which I heard blows 2800+............ thumbs
Posted By: Clanton

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/02/16 07:43 PM

I have been using the bb Moroso pump and a single 3k cfm fan no shroud.I complained the a moroso tech about the conversion of the pump to remote without offering an adapter for the old pumps so you did not have to buy the whole pump.

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/03/16 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
Originally Posted By Hemi Allstate

Thanks for the input.
Mark

I don't see those working well at all from personal experience and I'd pony up for the HHR which I heard blows 2800+............ thumbs

Well I found my info on the fans. They are rated @ 1500 cfm each. The radiator is a custom Griffin 19" X 27.5" with 1 1/2" tubes.
The pump is a Meziere.
I sure hope it works. shruggy

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/03/16 05:08 PM

I hope so and I've read cfm ratings that didn't live up to those claims and figure factory fans w/shrouds are keeping things cool for ever and my used HHR is awesome.........
Posted By: mopar65

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/03/16 06:33 PM

Another great fan to use is is one from a 98 3.8 v6 ford Taurus. It's a 2 speed fan and has a offset motor. On my big block 73 dart it fit better than the HHR fan, because of the offset electric motor. Also I ran the summit brand CVR drop in pump.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/04/16 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
All you folks running electric water pumps using an electric fan, too?

HHR elec. Bought from a member years ago but Rock Auto has em cheap I understand................

Me too---and i have a stock pump---car never gets too hot--that fan is killer !!
Posted By: JLaSalle

Re: BB DROP IN WATER PUMPS............... - 12/04/16 06:18 AM

I don't know if I'm alone here but my HHR fan lasted about a year or two in my car before it decided to throw a blade off and tear up the radiator. Did the same thing on my girls Nova after a year.Needless to say I would never use one of those again.
© 2024 Moparts Forums