Moparts

hemi roller cam

Posted By: zbc51

hemi roller cam - 11/24/16 07:35 PM

I'm starting to rebuild a 472" crate hemi. I'm looking for some sugestions for a new hydraulic roller cam. This motor is being built for the street.

thx
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: hemi roller cam - 11/24/16 08:21 PM

Is this a stick shift or automatic tranny car? What size and weight car and what rear gear, converter size, tire height? How do you want the motor exhaust to sound at idle and how hard and how high on the RPM do want the motor to make good power to?
Lots of things can and will influence getting the cam correct for you work
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: hemi roller cam - 11/25/16 12:57 AM

Crane hr254, hopefully you are going at least 10.5 to 1 compression.
Make sure to mock it up andcheck pushrod to block clearance before you final clean the block. You will need to do some grinding.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: hemi roller cam - 11/25/16 03:28 AM

Call any one of the cam grinders and give them your specs along with preferences and let them recommend a grind.

Rich Nedbal would probably be my first choice. He is a member here, reps Comp Cams, and wrote the book on building Hemis.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: hemi roller cam - 11/25/16 04:01 AM

Fwiw, I'm running a 475", ported Stage V head, Stage V intake, 4 spd, 3.54, street only, & this cam. Switched to solid roller "lifters" though during the build. Real happy with the torque above idle.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=756&sb=0

Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: hemi roller cam - 11/25/16 04:02 AM

Roller lifters are tall which aggravates the pushrod angle causing the pushrods to hit the block and heads so be ready to do some mocking up, grinding, and then mock up again.

I can design you a cam if you want, but we'd have to talk first.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: hemi roller cam - 11/25/16 04:51 AM

Stick with a mechanical roller with pushrod oiling, that's what Rich recommended for my 572 several years ago, I just hope to be able to drive the car before gas becomes a thing of the past. Tim
Posted By: dutchrunner

Re: hemi roller cam - 11/25/16 06:14 PM

Yep. Go with Rich's cams.
I have his EFIroller cam in my 572Hemi and it's great.
Posted By: zbc51

Re: hemi roller cam - 11/25/16 09:08 PM

Thx, guys.

The car is a '70 challenger with an auto.

I'm already running an electric vacuum pump.

It's a 472"crate hemi. I want to bump the compression up to 10.5-11:1. It has iron factory heads.

Which roller lifter are you guys using?
Posted By: wkeggenhoff

Re: hemi roller cam - 11/25/16 11:19 PM

I run an FHO custom solid roller. Tim Banning said for hyd roller motor would have to come apart for machining for clearance(believe push rod and lifters.
Had 2 hyd lifters blow apart due to acute angle on a couple of push rods.

He talked me going to soldi lifters asked him about street use and he said not an issue he has been using on street for years. He did say though don't cheap out on quality of lifters. I have comps not sure model /

Went with his suggestion on specs. Its 600" lift and 250 duration
Street driven,528" hemi 3:73 gear 5spd. Believe he told me it will work with power brakes as well.

He says this cam will support 800hp

Worked great 2 years so far, revs to almost 7000rpm without an issue and get there quickly

good luck
Posted By: astjp2

Re: hemi roller cam - 11/26/16 06:25 PM

Crane 66550-16 lifters and the cam is a mild 248@.050 with .628 lift and a 112 lsa, Rich's book has similar specs and Chase Knight used those specs to find a Crane grind that was close to match my 572. I also used comp 959 springs and .060 lash caps with Dvorak stands, Dichelles shafts and StageV rockers, expensive but I now don't have to worry. Tim
© 2024 Moparts Forums