Moparts

Mike Cotten?

Posted By: gofish

Mike Cotten? - 11/10/16 10:20 PM

Anyone know the recent history of Mike Cotten? I see he is listed as living in AZ now, not OK and I see his 70 Barracuda is now running CT/GA, both changes from recent years.

Danny
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/10/16 11:53 PM

Mike and Paula retired a few year ago, they still have their house her in Tulsa but they also have a home in Phoenix, where they spend most of their time.

They pretty much travel the country going to NHRA races with his 1970 Barracuda (Super Stock) and his Duster (stocker).

After Paula's wreck 2 years ago, she retired from racing but still goes to all the races.

His Barracuda is an ex Eric Bell car and his Duster is the one he's had forever...

Is that what your asking?
Posted By: gofish

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/11/16 03:51 AM

Yep, pretty much what I was wondering except Mike's change of class in SS. I assume he put a non-stock engine combination in his Barracuda.

Thanks Wade!

Danny
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/11/16 05:35 AM

I want to say that his Barracuda has been super stock since he had it but I am not positive.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/11/16 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By Bad340fish
I want to say that his Barracuda has been super stock since he had it but I am not positive.

Didn't it start out as a SS/FA?
Posted By: cgall

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/11/16 03:52 PM

Yes he is running GT/GA which is a car/engine combo not originally available from the factory. There have been several other Mopar racers that have replaced hemi and 6-pack engines with Drag Pack engines because of availability of parts.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/11/16 05:35 PM

My understanding was that Mike and Paula's "original" Duster, the one they took on their honeymoon, was destroyed in Paula's wreck.

Mike runs the Barracuda in various classes for various reasons.

Mike has always run the Barracuda with a 383 although in previous lives with previous owners I think it was a 440 six pack. I think it was raced for many years by Art (?) out of New Mexico. While I don't think this was the car that Erik Bell raced for years it may have passed through is hands.

This is all subject to correction because of my poor memory.

Mike and Paula are two of the nicest people in drag racing.

From yesterday:

Attached picture MikePomona.JPG
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/11/16 09:21 PM

I have always liked that car! I was curious what engine it currently has to put it in a GT class, there are a few Mopars here on the East coast that run in the GT classes old cars with different combos. Sometimes just a carb or intake change makes it illegal for the conventional SS class so they run a GT class instead although some do have a completely different engine combo .

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/12/16 01:37 AM

Qualified #2 at Pomona.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/12/16 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
Qualified #2 at Pomona.

up
Posted By: Stewart

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/12/16 07:26 AM

I think that in SSGT you do not have to run a non original combo. He could still be running the 383. Some guys change from SS to SSGT to avoid heads up runs but as a #2 qual I don't think Mike needs to worry about that. Some engines carry a different HP factor in GT than regular SS so although a 10 lb index in GT is quicker than a 10 lb traditional SS index with different HP ratings you can sometimes run lighter in SSGT than SS.
All that said, still don't know what engine he is running.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/12/16 09:31 AM

I seem to remember the ex Eric Bell car having several other owners before him, maybe one of the cars that Paul Rossi use to be involved with work

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/12/16 04:57 PM

I thought Rossis car was a Challenger and ended up in Sweden, Thanks Steward for the further explanation of SS and SS/GT.

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/12/16 06:31 PM

GT/GA is probably a 383 combo.

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/12/16 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By 11secdart
I thought Rossis car was a Challenger and ended up in Sweden, Thanks Steward for the further explanation of SS and SS/GT.
He did and it did up I'm talking about a black 1970 Cuda V code car that he helped on the tuning and chassis and maintain for a customer (Mike ?)who drove it only work

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/12/16 10:30 PM

Come to think of it , I think you are right!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/12/16 10:55 PM

I sold them a few cases of oil when they were at Zmax while back--Two of the nicest folks I have ever had the pleasure to meet--ever! Just way cool Mopar to the BONE
Posted By: Scully

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/12/16 11:10 PM

A 60 or later Dodge, Ply or Chrysler can run any 60 or later engine produced by Chrysler that's listed in the S/SS guide. The engine has to be a legal SS engine, in this case it's the 383 which is factored at 300 in SS and 304 in GT. I spoke with Mike a couple of times and have to agree, he's a super nice guy.

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/14/16 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I seem to remember the ex Eric Bell car having several other owners before him, maybe one of the cars that Paul Rossi use to be involved with work

Cab,
Do you remember a 440 Six Pack that ran out of New Mexico? They guy had it for a long time. I am pretty sure his first name was Art and his last name was something like Pachico.

While I am not sure of the path I am pretty sure that car is the one Mike runs right now. Also wasn't Eric Bell's six pack a Challenger?

Thanks,
Bill
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/14/16 03:00 AM

http://www.autoimagery.com/gallery/v/2014/NE/PSN/SS/Eric+Bell/1440-100168.JPG.html

Challenger

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/14/16 03:12 AM

I know Art,(AKA Mr. Six Pak) he use to also drive a 1965 Hemi car for a car dealer in Victorville, Robin Pellezeir (SP? on the last name?)
I don't remember if his first SS six pak E body was a Cuda or Challenger, maybe even a1969 b body confused
As far as Eric six pack car I believe his first one was a 1970 or 1971 Cuda confused
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/14/16 03:28 AM

The Eric Bell Cuda would have been a while ago like last century. The nice orange Challenger was the last dozen years, sold now.

Art Pacheco raced a hemi 65 Belvedere in Denver this year.

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/14/16 08:37 AM

I sold my M.W. stocker in 1988, I'm almost positive Eric was not drag racing at that time work Your probably correct on it (the Cuda) being race by him in the last century grin His changing from the Cuda to the Challenger body was about the same time Don little did the same switch in the same class on his Cuda work Evidently the T/A fiberglass hood and two inch longer wheelbase is worth the swap confused shruggy
Posted By: David Lee

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/14/16 10:50 AM

the gentleman from abq, nm is art pacheco. i thought he raced a mid 60's wedge car

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/14/16 08:37 PM

I should call Art and ask him if he bought Robins old A990 hemi car, he did really well in it back then up He raced it all over the country for several years for Robin work
As far as him racing a early wedge car, only he knows shruggy
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/16/16 02:49 AM

The Barracuda was indeed the Art Pacheco "Six Pack Performance" SS/FA Car, which was sold to Eric Bell. Eric ran it for a while, but sold it to Mike because he wanted to do a ground up, brand new car...which was the Orange Challenger.

I thought Mike was crazy when he switched it from 440-6 to 383 combo, but it's worked out really well for him!!
Posted By: 71cudaddict

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/16/16 02:58 AM

Met Mike and his wife about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon I was driving my 71 Cuda up Scottsdale road and there was a 71 purple hemi Cuda stuck on the side of the road his fuel pump failed. I stop to help him , I met him and his wife very nice people.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/16/16 08:48 PM

I believe the GT/CA combo is an Eddy headed 6 pack deal, same thing Eric Bell ran in the Chally and now has in the 68 Barracuda he bought from Mazzolini...

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/17/16 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By 71cudaddict
Met Mike and his wife about 3 weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon I was driving my 71 Cuda up Scottsdale road and there was a 71 purple hemi Cuda stuck on the side of the road his fuel pump failed. I stop to help him , I met him and his wife very nice people.

Yes they have a pretty nice collection of street cars as well.
Posted By: Cotten

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/18/16 06:51 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

I bought the car as a roller from Eric Bell in the fall of 2005 when he was building the orange challenger that now belongs to Tommy Auger.

Eric owned the car I believe approx 10 years. It is Art Pacheco's old car.
It was originally a yellow 340 4 spd car.

I ran in GT/GA the last 4 races of the year to avoid a possible ahfs hit if I were to run one second under in either SS/JA or SS/IA.

Thanks again 71 Cudaddict for stopping to help

Mike

Re: Mike Cotten? - 11/19/16 09:50 PM

Thanks Mike, for coming on and answering all the questions, Really cool car you have there! Congrats on your past success and Good Luck next season!

Attached picture IMG_1068.PNG
© 2024 Moparts Forums