Moparts

Finally got myself a pair of Ladder Bars

Posted By: Sammy

Finally got myself a pair of Ladder Bars - 10/30/16 04:42 PM

I have a question regarding setting preload on passenger side.
I set the pinion angle on drivers side at 2degrees down, getting my measurements from driveshaft and inion yoke but want to set neutral preload.

I installed this setup, so am I just turning the lower adjuster with a wrench to get the bolt to slide freely in and out from the front eyehole? I have my son in the driver seat for proper weight.
http://chassisengineering.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_220&product_id=386
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Finally got myself a pair of Ladder Bars - 10/30/16 04:48 PM

Yes. You will feel when the adjuster slackens. That will be your neutral position. Recheck your pinion angle afterwards.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Finally got myself a pair of Ladder Bars - 10/30/16 06:21 PM

Why do you think you need preload? Run the car at neutral first, and see what it does.
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Finally got myself a pair of Ladder Bars - 10/30/16 07:01 PM

I set my bars with the nose at instant center. I added just enough preload by hand to take the slack out I guess. Goes straight for me
Posted By: dvw

Re: Finally got myself a pair of Ladder Bars - 10/30/16 08:04 PM

It all depends on how hard the car leaves. My 63 Dodge could run no preload w/o issue. It only popped the wheels a couple inches for a foot or so. It ran mid/low ten low 1.40 60ft. My 64 Plymouth will go to the right quite a bit with no preload. Better chassis than Dodge but will carry the front wheels 40-60ft and run mid 1.20 60ft. It requires 5 flats. If you start with no preload be prepared for the car to drive to the right. Lift accordingly if it does and adjust as necessary. Just make sure it's not carrying the wheels a ways. Can be pretty spooky. Take a look at the tracks. Wheels were in the air. License run.
Doug

Attached picture near crash tracks.JPG
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Finally got myself a pair of Ladder Bars - 10/30/16 08:06 PM

Neutral for me also
Posted By: Sammy

Re: Finally got myself a pair of Ladder Bars - 10/30/16 08:25 PM

Thanks for all the reply's but I'm just asking for what adjuster to turn to make the adjustment for the preload?
Top or bottom long adjuster nut?
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Finally got myself a pair of Ladder Bars - 10/30/16 08:32 PM

Bottom rear right side
Posted By: dvw

Re: Finally got myself a pair of Ladder Bars - 10/31/16 12:59 AM

I guess I should add this. Every non chassis door car is always drivers side heavy. Even though I tried to put everything on the right side, mine is still 1% heavy on the drivers side. Most cars I've seen on the scales are off even more. That being said, now lets scale the car. Guaranteed the right rear is light. If then car hooks well it will drive to the right. Two ways to change it. Add weight to the passenger side. Or add some preload.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums