Moparts

Installed Fuel cell pics?

Posted By: 10sec440

Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 06:02 AM

Looking for ideas for installation, top and bottom pics if you have them. Thanks.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 06:06 AM

I made mine, internal baffles, built in sump, made to fit the space I had...
(just welded, the welds looked ugly before being cleaned, sorry! lol)

Attached picture 5021772-Cellbottom.jpg

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 06:07 AM

Top..

Attached picture 5021775-Celltop.jpg

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 06:09 AM

Nice job, I edited the topic because I was looking for installation ideas.Thanks for the quick reply!
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 06:13 AM

Just packed in tight and clean . 8 gallon, wish
I would of went 16.

Attached picture 5021782-DSC02641.JPG

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 06:16 AM

Mine sits on the frame rails with the flanges, I made it so that the sump is below the frame rails.
I made the 45 degree edge at the bottom front of the cell for exhaust, the tailpipes wouldn't fit without it.

Are you thinking of an aluminum cell?

Attached picture 5021785-CoupeMeat.jpg

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 06:17 AM

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!
I recognize your car....!!

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 06:34 AM

haha, I recognise that camper...from somewhere!!! Nice install. I had a 5 gal plastic tank and I pulled it out to check on a leak. I figured for what it's worth I would replace it as it's been in the car for 14 years. Now it's getting out of hand, I'm thinking of changing to a 10 gal and re-doing my trunk floor.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 09:07 AM

Quote:

Top..

you made your own?! hmm...sounds cheaper than buying one for $200!

How thick is that metal? I don't have a tig, or any other set up to weld aluminum, could I make one from mild steel?
Posted By: FY1TA

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 01:45 PM

Quote:

I would of went 16.

Hrrm that would be my car in the pic ???
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 02:46 PM

Here's a few pics for you. I had a custom alum cell made to fit where my plastic one was. it's about 15 gallons.

Old brackets for the plastic 12 gallon cell.

I had some brackets welded to the alum cell so I could use the same tabs the straps used.

I don't have any good pics from the bottom. It's covered with a belly pan in the car. Here's a completed pic.

Posted By: Dragula

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/13/09 05:38 PM

I had to remove the existing plastic fuel cell, and had an aluminum one fabbed to fit the same hole. Before I could have the flanges welded on, it all had to be test fitted to get it right. I had to remove the hold down for the factory jack, as well as the raised section for the gas neck filler tube, then, I determined the leafs were a little too close to leave it square on the bottom, and it had to be sectioned again...Then it was alll fitted up and I redid the entire trunck area.

Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 03:29 AM

Here's what mine looks like.

Attached picture 5023707-Dart7-9-08012.jpg

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 03:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Top..

you made your own?! hmm...sounds cheaper than buying one for $200!

How thick is that metal? I don't have a tig, or any other set up to weld aluminum, could I make one from mild steel?

I used 12ga aluminum, I still have a large piece...... I don't have an aluminum TIG welder either, I just made all the pieces and went to a buddy of mine who has an aluminum TIG welder.

I didn't do it for cost, I wanted the biggest cell I could fit, and I wanted exact shape, dimensions, baffles etc..

I like Dragula's cell with the built in pump, I assume the pump would be quieter submerged...?
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 04:01 AM

Here's what I did.....

The fuel cell mounting straps,I made from aluminum stock that I bought from Home Depot and bent them myself.The mail order shops wanted $25 for the same thing.Underneath the cell,there is 1" square steel tubing that the straps mount to,and they are the length of the cell.

Attached picture 5023784-trunk2.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 04:29 AM

I just used fuel tank straps, they go fore and aft
bolted to a cross bar on both ends of the tank. I
used what was handy, since I worked in the fuel lab
thats what I used...straps both top and bottom
sorry no pics
EDIT
Mine looks very much like Bigcubes

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 05:20 AM

My old setup was a steel tub like Dragula's last pic and it had a plastic tank in it like Chris2412's and straps I made. The new setup, I bought an RCI 10 gal aluminum tank like Dragula's upper pic and I was going to sink it into the floor the same as in his pic. There are tabs on the side and they have to go to a tube frame. Does there have to be a bottom on it to be legal? (being an aluminum tank)
Posted By: torredcuda

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 11:24 AM

69 Barracuda, stock wheel wells

Attached picture 5024083-69trunk.jpg

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 11:25 AM

Connected to factory flip gas cap

Attached picture 5024084-69trunk1.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 02:55 PM

Quote:

My old setup was a steel tub like Dragula's last pic and it had a plastic tank in it like Chris2412's and straps I made. The new setup, I bought an RCI 10 gal aluminum tank like Dragula's upper pic and I was going to sink it into the floor the same as in his pic. There are tabs on the side and they have to go to a tube frame. Does there have to be a bottom on it to be legal? (being an aluminum tank)

I dont have my book in front of me but if I recall
correctly you need a skid plate IF the bottom hangs
below the frame rail
EDIT
if the floor has been re worked.... check the book
Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 03:02 PM

I've built both of mine. I use s/s though. I just kinda figure it's a little extra added weight behind the axles.

Heres the one I had in the Cuda.. I welded angles to the front and back of the cell that had holes drilled into them. I then had a seperate angle with holes matched drilled that was held to the framerails as cross members. Notice the 3/4" bolt heads. I just measured it so that I was happy with the height that was exposed in the trunk..Then welded the angle to the cell.

Heres the one I built for the Dak. On this one I used straps that support the weight of the cell from underneath and just added top straps to help hold it in place. I wanted this one to be flush with the bed floor..

When I build these I add 1/4" rod on the inside from the sides to the bottom so there is no "ballooning". Then I leak check them {thats why you see the red color}. Then I weld the top on. I also add fuel cell foam.

The Cuda cell was 20 gallons and the one for the Dak is 16. I generally make the bottom and the sump section from 1/8" or 11 ga. and the sides and top are made from 16 ga.

As I read in the rulebook, as long as the s/s cell is grounded to the frame, it should be good. I haven't used a skid plate or shield on either and both have passed tech at the tracks I've been to. I guess with an aluminum or plastic cell, they need to have the steel pan to sit in..
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 03:43 PM

Here's mine all in the trunk:

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 07:30 PM

Another thing I still never got a concrete answer on...
Does the top of the fuel cell have to be below the height of the top of the tire?

I always thought this was the rule, so I made mine that way, I could have had more fuel capacity but I thought it wasn't legal.

Was it a rule, is it a rule, or did they drop that rule...?? Anybody know?
Posted By: T748

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 07:41 PM

16 gallon Jaz cell with level gauge sender dropped in the spare tire well. Only needed clearance on front corners and the bottom opened for the sump.-Tom.

Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 08:18 PM

Mine...Before I re-installed the bed rug

Nitrous bottles mount on both sides of the fuel cell & battery

Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 08:46 PM

Quote:

Does the top of the fuel cell have to be below the height of the top of the tire?

I always thought this was the rule, so I made mine that way, I could have had more fuel capacity but I thought it wasn't legal.

I've never heard that rule. But coincidentally I guess, both of mine have had the fuel cell tops below the top of the tire. So I guess thats a good thing??!!!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/14/09 10:04 PM

Quote:

I would of went 16.

I have a 5 gallon cell in my race car and that seems like plenty to me. If you do any street driving I can see wanting a bigger capacity.

I mean, how many rounds do you need to go without refueling? A 7 round race with round robin after 3rd round only needs to go another 4 passes on a full tank.
Posted By: 10.5dart

Re: Fuel cell pics? - 02/16/09 01:24 AM

Here are a few more..

Re: Installed Fuel cell pics? - 02/18/09 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've never heard that rule. But coincidentally I guess, both of mine have had the fuel cell tops below the top of the tire. So I guess thats a good thing??!!!

IHRA rulebook does require the fuel cell to be below the top of the wheelwells.
© 2024 Moparts Forums