Moparts

Rear disc brake?

Posted By: nasty68

Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 02:38 AM

When i ordered my rear axle's from moser i had told the guy i would be running either wilwood or aerospace disc's. My questions is it looks to me that the caliper bracket slides around the axle and bolts to the housing. My axles have the sealed bearings and have a retainer on them. Does the caliper bracket bolt over top of the retainer or does the retainer have to be removed from my axles and then the caliper bracket bolt on? Sorry if this sounds confusing.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 03:47 AM

I have the Aerospace brakes. The kit has it's own retainer/bracket
and the original retainer is not used.

Attached picture 5021560-DSCN1826.JPG
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 03:50 AM

I have aerospace also and you need the green bearing were the retainer is separate. and you will use the one that aerospace gives you, which is in the shape of a C
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 04:21 AM

I have wilwood brakes and had to remove the retainer from the bearings. The caliper brackets act as the retainer.

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 11:24 AM

Thanks guys, i was thinking that it was going to have to come off but i figured i would ask some people that would know.
Posted By: Otherlane

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 11:35 AM

I just got my mosers axle last week with 5/8 studs.i have wilwood rear brakes but like Bill said u won't need the moser retainer you will use the black retainer that hold the caliber to the housing.also if anyone going to use 5/8 studs will need the drill the 1/2 hole with a 11/16 drill bit which I felt spending that kind of money that should be an option when one order the brakes
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 11:43 AM

Quote:

I just got my mosers axle last week with 5/8 studs.i have wilwood rear brakes but like Bill said u won't need the moser retainer you will use the black retainer that hold the caliber to the housing.also if anyone going to use 5/8 studs will need the drill the 1/2 hole with a 11/16 drill bit which I felt spending that kind of money that should be an option when one order the brakes

with it should be an option, I doubt you get 11/16 to work. it was still tight on my 5/8 studs. it had to go to 3/4 to clear.
Posted By: SRT8Challenger

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 12:47 PM

I have Moser axles and the green bearingsd also.
Just received my rear Aeorspace race brakes.
I talked to aerospace and was told if the studs are long enough to go ahead and use both retainers, Aerospace aluminum first the the Moser one. If the studs are not long enough then i will need to cut the Moser retainer off.
I measured the stud length and it looks to be long enough, in either case the Aerospace braket becomes the bearing retainer.
Ed
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 01:41 PM

Quote:

AEROSPACE BRAKES

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 02:26 PM

Thanks quicktree,glad u said that before I use this drill bit.When I called moser he said 11/16 bit but you have tried it but didn't work so back to the store
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 04:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

AEROSPACE BRAKES

5/8" studs are an option with Aerospace.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 04:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks quicktree,glad u said that before I use this drill bit.When I called moser he said 11/16 bit but you have tried it but didn't work so back to the store

check it before you drill !!!!! your studs may be different than mine. you will have to di it on a drill press.
Posted By: StrokerDart

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 04:46 PM

I have the Aerospace brakes (thanks Lil Demon) and I was planning on just sandwiching the caliper bracket between the housing and the retainer already on my Moser axle/sealed bearing combo... rather than cutting it off

Quote:

When i ordered my rear axle's from moser i had told the guy i would be running either wilwood or aerospace disc's. My questions is it looks to me that the caliper bracket slides around the axle and bolts to the housing. My axles have the sealed bearings and have a retainer on them. Does the caliper bracket bolt over top of the retainer or does the retainer have to be removed from my axles and then the caliper bracket bolt on? Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/13/09 05:36 PM

Well when I brought my k-member it came with the wilwoods so that why I am using that brand. But quicktree I have both drill bit now but I will see which one will work the best before drilling.Like to return one back so I can get my $20 back?lol

Re: Rear disc brake? - 02/14/09 01:08 AM

Thanks for the link to that thread. Customer service goes a long way and it makes me lean heavily towards aerospace.
© 2024 Moparts Forums