Moparts

A leak free 727??

Posted By: tboomer

A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 12:37 PM

My 64 has a puddle of tranny fluid under it. It appears to be weeping around some of the bolts. I also hope the front pump seal isn't out. I am thinking that I should have the pan gasket changed and maybe put a new deep pan on it. So what is everyone using for a pan? I see Trick Flow has one at a good price. Thanks! Ted wave
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 12:48 PM

Whatever you use, DO NOT use a chrome pan. I have seen more chrome transmission and oil pans leak on all kinds of cars, than anything else.

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 12:53 PM

Thanks Ken....I would never use a chrome pan. wave
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 12:57 PM

I'm using the Mopar Performance deep pan with Fel-Pro TOS18583 gasket.
Posted By: Tig

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 02:20 PM

I have an finned aluminium deep pan and use a re-useable pan gasket, no leaks whatsoever. Can't remember the manufacturers but Todd Marsh got them for me. HTH's

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 03:16 PM

Thanks fellas! How much extra capacity do we need? wave
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 03:16 PM

bone yard.... well ok, a core went back with no pan smile 46RE stock pan, mopar reusable gasket. torqued to 125 inlb... been on/off several times over the years for service and no leaks. Another godsend was using a dipstick tube with the "GM" style seal (mopar adopted that on later truck models).

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 03:25 PM

Jay...The GM filler tube fits on a 727?? And a 46RE pan will fit? How much extra capacity? shruggy Thanks!
Posted By: dvw

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 03:28 PM

Finned aluminum works well. So does the factory (or aftermarket copy) of the 518 pan. My 518 replacement is still using the same reusable gasket after many inspections. Many times the cables leak at the crimps. I have the fix. Plugging the front vent and relocating helps the bell housing leaks. The park cable adapter is often warped. It can be stoned flat.
Doug
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
Finned aluminum works well. So does the factory (or aftermarket copy) of the 518 pan. My 518 replacement is still using the same reusable gasket after many inspections. Many times the cables leak at the crimps. I have the fix. Plugging the front vent and relocating helps the bell housing leaks. The park cable adapter is often warped. It can be stoned flat.
Doug

Great info Would you have any pics of your alterations?
Posted By: racerx

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 04:24 PM

Does the superperformace guy make a pan gasket?
Posted By: dvw

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/15/16 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By Kam*Kuda
Originally Posted By dvw
Doug

Great info Would you have any pics of your alterations?

The cables can be repaired with heat shrink for wiring. Use the type with the glue. I have it if you need it.
Doug
Posted By: moparx

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/17/16 02:04 PM

where have you found the best source for the marine grade heat shrink ? i am ready to re-stock my selection of sizes and colors, and would prefer to get 2 or 4ft sections if possible.
beer
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/17/16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By tboomer
Jay...The GM filler tube fits on a 727?? And a 46RE pan will fit? How much extra capacity? shruggy Thanks!

Can't say on the capacity... the 47/48RE pans are slightly deeper than the MP deep pans they had.

In the early 90's we cut the end off our 727 dipstick tube and brazed on a chevy end and used their seal. Worked great! Mopar went to a similar style in the late 90's on their trucks and it, unlike that stupid oring, didn't leak either.

....just like this:

Posted By: justinp61

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/17/16 04:33 PM

The locking dipstick/tube I bought from Cope has the gm style rubber seal on it. I'm using the late pan on my 727, IIRC it came with the filter spacer from Mancini.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: A leak free 727?? - 10/17/16 07:59 PM

People beat up the tube, by working it back and forth, as opposed to pulling straight up, and slightly turning to break the o-ring loose.
© 2024 Moparts Forums