Moparts

YEP clear bowl plugs broke

Posted By: Clanton

YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 12:13 AM

As I was timing my engine I saw the plug drop into the valley tray and sure enough the other was broke also.I have read this topic in the past and was keeping an eye on them.Never again!
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 12:29 AM

Yes, those are for adjusting your float levels only. Once adjusted correctly reinstall the brass plugs.

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 12:36 AM

That sounds like a reasonable use.I figured I would remind people of its danger.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 02:27 AM

betting those things would turn to dust out here in a couple years.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 02:29 AM

Best bang for the buck. QF lightweight fuel bowls. Lighter Than Holley bowls, have a better flow pattern into the N/S, and have permanent fuel level sight glass installed.
Posted By: markz528

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 02:30 AM

I have had them break after just a few minutes of use on a new build.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 02:47 AM

My QF carb is six years old and the sight glasses are still very clear.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 03:48 AM

I broke some too. Easy to overtighten. Put them in by hand and they live.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By Crizila
I broke some too. Easy to overtighten. Put them in by hand and they live.

Mine didn't, they turned yellow after a couple years then broke. I'll stick with the old plug or maybe upgrade to the newer high flow bowls mentioned above. IIRC the new bowls also reduce fuel aeration in the bowl.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
Best bang for the buck. QF lightweight fuel bowls. Lighter Than Holley bowls, have a better flow pattern into the N/S, and have permanent fuel level sight glass installed.

iagree Was my next answer...........
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart

I just put two new bowls with the big sight glass on my carb and really like them

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 05:22 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Originally Posted By Thumperdart

I just put two new bowls with the big sight glass on my carb and really like them

Anyone can benefit from the newer QF bowls and they`re light and have a nice smooth fuel path............ thumbs
Posted By: cudatom

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 05:54 AM

My new dominator is a qf and has the sight glass its very nice.

As to the old screw in clear ones I must be lucky. Mine are 14 yrs old and no issues. Then again I havent touched them since the fuel level was set. Not using the carb since I got the dominator this spring. I may just put in the brass ones. I'm not usually very lucky.
Posted By: racerx

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/11/16 04:30 PM

Hmmm...... work got me thinking how they may hold up to e-85,i had my carb. change over about 4/5 years ago and never had a problem yet luck Thaxs for the heads-up on this.

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/12/16 07:24 PM

My threads are a mess now.I can pic it out with a pin I hope.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/13/16 02:39 AM

You should be able to clean that up with a pic. The plastic normally comes out pretty easy. If not, I have a couple of sets of dual feed bowls for sale cheap.

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/13/16 02:48 AM

I picked it out ok,Thx!I have the brass screws back in.I am glad I fixed it when I did.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/13/16 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By Clanton
I picked it out ok,Thx!I have the brass screws back in.I am glad I fixed it when I did.
Shoulda pulled the bowls IMO. One little piece in the wrong spot and welcome to LEAN.

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/13/16 03:05 AM

I did pull the bowls
Posted By: racerhog

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/13/16 07:15 PM

Never liked those.... Nor trust them.... Just my 2 cents
Posted By: AndyF

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/14/16 04:30 PM

I tried those plugs about 20 years ago when Moroso started selling them and almost burned my car to the ground. I set the float level and left the plugs in the carb and did a quick trip around the block. Had a bad stumble going around a corner so I pulled over and lifted the hood. One of the plugs had melted or dissolved and fuel had spilled out of the bowl while going around the corner. Just had a little flash fire but it didn't get back into the carb. I walked home and got the brass plugs and that was the end of that.
Posted By: upnover

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/15/16 05:21 AM

i had a set melt/dissolve too, i left them in for a week or two before i noticed them, i was running a partial mix of race fuel and just figured that was the culprit, luckily it was caught before a large fire!
Posted By: 67_Satellite

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/15/16 04:04 PM

I've seen those.I thought about what would happen if one failed on a blowthrough set up. Instant 20+ p.s.i. fuel gusher spraying at a red hot exhaust manifold.NO THANKS.
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/15/16 04:55 PM

I had a set on my carb for 8 years and my dad still has a set in his six pack that is over ten years old with no problems. If you try remove them they will most likely break off, as mine did. I just run them for setting floats now and put the brass plugs in after that, due to the possible problems. The new ones might not be as good quality as the older ones.
Posted By: 540DUSTER

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/16/16 01:54 AM

plastic expands more than metal do not over tighten,make sure orings are soft.

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/16/16 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By 540DUSTER
plastic expands more than metal do not over tighten,make sure orings are soft.
OR put them in the trash.Maybe you can make a tq wrench for them.j/k
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/16/16 03:50 AM

they sure didn't like E85 either
Posted By: jlatessa

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/18/16 04:29 PM

Another heads-up on this subject, We dodged a engine fire by the skin of our teeth yesterday.

Took off the air cleaner housing on our six pack and noticed I had forgotten about the broken plastic fuel level window on the rear carb
after a dyno session.

Took the carb off, removed the bowl to drill out the remainder
of the sight glass...well, when I touched the plastic with the drill bit, it went through it like a piece of plastic wrap!!

We weren't far from a fire happening. found a piece if the plastic in the bottom of the bowl that had the consistency of chewing gum.

These were the Holley parts, so BEWARE!!!

Joe

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/18/16 06:36 PM

Other than a nostalgia look, it makes no sense NOT to use the modern dual sight glass bowls or maybe modify stock ones and make your own. They have saved my azz a few times over the years like when you're warming up your car and all looks/sounds good but you see the glass solid w/fuel. The N&S had a piece of rubber fuel line stuck in it which hung it open and I caught it luckily.................
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/18/16 07:21 PM

Which ones?

https://www.quickfueltechnology.com/carb-components/fuel-bowl-components/fuel-bowl-kits-1.html

Re: YEP clear bowl plugs broke - 10/18/16 10:11 PM

Out of those 34-100 but I buy bare from BLP and add umbrellas and floats etc............ thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums