Moparts

Molnar rods

Posted By: AndyF

Molnar rods - 10/10/16 01:07 AM

Picked up a set of Molnar 6.700 BBC rods for my next 470 project. These rods are very lightweight at only 740 grams. I have SCAT I beam rods in my 470 right now and they are light but not that light.

Attached picture DSC_0029 (Large).JPG
Attached picture DSC_0032 (Large).JPG
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Molnar rods - 10/10/16 01:14 AM

got a set of gm pin 6" Molnars in my W8 mill. Definitely smaller in stature than the Eagles I had in the other engine.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Molnar rods - 10/10/16 02:18 AM

Andy, you are going to like them, I have the 6.535 rod in my 512, and they checked out spot on. up
Posted By: GY3

Re: Molnar rods - 10/10/16 02:26 AM

I used the 7.1" rod in my 505 and love them.

I posted the weights when I built the motor and it was amazing how light my internals were!

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...440-cranks.html

Edit, not as light as I thought, but still only 1490 grams for rod and Mahle piston.
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: Molnar rods - 10/10/16 06:00 AM

What do you think the horsepower limit is on those? Birdtracker
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Molnar rods - 10/10/16 09:02 AM

Are they pretty close to the K1-s?

I cant find me balance sheet or it should show.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Molnar rods - 10/10/16 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By birdtracker

Mines never been on the dyno but runs 9.0@148 3350lbs. 7.100" Molnar with 2.200 pin". Bob weight with a little careful ring pack choice was less than with my BME aluminum rods.
Doug
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Molnar rods - 10/10/16 02:26 PM

If you ask that question of Tom Molnar (who is a great guy), he will tell you horsepower has nothing to do with it. It is a function of piston/pin/ring weight and RPM. Give him the weights and he can tell you the RPM you should not exceed with the rod.

Bill
Posted By: dvw

Re: Molnar rods - 10/10/16 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By 340Cuda

If you ask that question of Tom Molnar (who is a great guy), he will tell you horsepower has nothing to do with it. It is a function of piston/pin/ring weight and RPM. Give him the weights and he can tell you the RPM you should not exceed with the rod.

Bill

Exactly. I told Tom my piston/ring/pin weight along with no power adder. Gave him a self imposed 7500 rpm limit. He said that they were more than enough.
Doug
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Molnar rods - 10/13/16 09:27 PM

That weight total is making me laugh.

The stock piston/rod/rings/pin assembly from my '86 318 weighed more than that! Something like 1540 grams.

Shoot, the late LA motor rod at 758 grams is heavier than AndyF's bigblock rod!

R.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Molnar rods - 10/13/16 11:19 PM

Wait until you see the pistons for this engine. JE is designing a Mopar big block piston based off the LS design. The sides are moved in so the pin is shorter than normal. Should be really lightweight.
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Molnar rods - 10/13/16 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
Wait until you see the pistons for this engine. JE is designing a Mopar big block piston based off the LS design. The sides are moved in so the pin is shorter than normal. Should be really lightweight.

sheeeeyit.

is it 1.32CH? so it could be used in a 451?

Re: Molnar rods - 10/13/16 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays

The stock piston/rod/rings/pin assembly from my '86 318 weighed more than that! Something like 1540 grams.

R.

It looks like my numbers (in the other thread) translated to over 6 lbs. of savings in the rotating assembly vs. the factory LY rods and cast pistons.

Re: Molnar rods - 10/13/16 11:49 PM

I'm curious to see rod/piston total!
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Molnar rods - 10/14/16 12:43 AM

I have Molnar rods and crank in my engine, along with Ross pistons. I was concerned that the crank was so light, that I would have to add mallory to the crank to balance it (because of the piston weight). The rods were light enough that I actually had to remove weight from the crank to balance it.
Very nice parts for the price.

Brian
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Molnar rods - 10/14/16 01:53 AM

same here with Icon pistons.

Re: Molnar rods - 10/14/16 02:10 AM

My Mahle pistons:

Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Molnar rods - 10/14/16 01:55 PM

same here with molnar crank rod and icon piston combo. rods could be used right out of the box.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Molnar rods - 10/14/16 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By krautrock

sheeeeyit.

is it 1.32CH? so it could be used in a 451?

Yes it will be, that is the rod length and piston Ch I have with my 3.9 stroke crank.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Molnar rods - 10/14/16 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By GY3
Originally Posted By dogdays

R.

It looks like my numbers (in the other thread) translated to over 6 lbs. of savings in the rotating assembly vs. the factory LY rods and cast pistons.

Factory piston and pin in a big block mopar is a little over 1000 grams.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Molnar rods - 10/15/16 02:57 AM

horsepower has nothing to do with it. It is a function of piston/pin/ring weight and RPM

X2, reciprocating weight X RPM^2 (with a tiny adjustment for rod thrust angle) determines rod breakage.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Molnar rods - 10/15/16 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By polyspheric
horsepower has nothing to do with it. It is a function of piston/pin/ring weight and RPM

X2, reciprocating weight X RPM^2 (with a tiny adjustment for rod thrust angle) determines rod breakage.

Could you go through a calculation of this for us?
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Molnar rods - 10/15/16 06:41 PM

A modern design piston for our antique motors shock panic beer That's almost a unthinkable as a modern combustion chamber or a cam not designed 50+ years ago.

Re: Molnar rods - 10/15/16 07:33 PM

Don't encourage him...
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Molnar rods - 10/16/16 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By GY3

Don't encourage him...

iagree
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Molnar rods - 10/17/16 09:49 PM

Actually there is a spreadsheet that has the program built into it to calculate acceleration and velocity of the piston for any stroke, rod length and rpm. I have it on my computer, don't know how to attach it, maybe I'll figure it out.

R.

Note in the spreadsheet the max acceleration numbers are always at the top, where velocity = zero. These numbers have units of ft/sec^2. To convert to Gs we divide by 32.2.

60,085 / 32.2 = 1,866 Gs. At that point a 500 gram piston is exerting an outward pull of 933kg or 2,055 lb.

Attached File
rodratio (version 1).zip  (18 downloads)
© 2024 Moparts Forums