Moparts

motor plates? How to locate them?

Posted By: modelmakerinc

motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 12:33 AM

If you are planning on using a motorplate to mount the engine How do you determine the height the engine should be placed.
for example I have a slant six k-frame, I want to install a 440, Where does one measure to get the correct placement. Thanks
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 12:54 AM

I made a template from the frame rails to my original crankshaft bolt (center) and used that. But I think the measurements are on Shumockers Conversion Motor mounts web site and there may be some measurments/drawings in the Mopar Chassis manual.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 01:08 AM

Depends what you are doing with the car, drag car
and you might want more weight transfer... raise it
up some.... you measure from the centerline of the crank
Posted By: springers340dart

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 03:12 AM

if ya need a big block motor plate and or mid plate i got one i'll sell, don't need it anymore since i'm running small block, mid plate hasn't been used yet but motor plate for last 3 months of season, solid motor plate.

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 03:33 AM

Thanks I am not at that point yet.

I am looking to find a dimension of where a 440 goes in relationship to the car.

If my coronet had a bigblock mounted on the factory motor mounts it would be easy to take measurements, however the car has a slant 6 k-frame.

a left to right dimension would also be helpful.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 03:40 AM

Buy the CNC machined motor plate from Mancini Racing. They are designed to locate the engine in the correct location.
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 03:45 AM

Quote:

Buy the CNC machined motor plate from Mancini Racing. They are designed to locate the engine in the correct location.

No cutting? So the A-body one drops right onto the frame rails? Is there a crank pulley spacer available?

Sorry to hijack.

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 03:58 AM

thanks Andy. But not to be ungrateful But I am looking for the dimensions. If I were to buy the motor plate from Mancini, I would still feel more comfortable measuring it to double check that i placed it correctly
Posted By: AndyF

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 05:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No cutting? So the A-body one drops right onto the frame rails? Is there a crank pulley spacer available?

Sorry to hijack.

No cutting, mounts on the frame rails and puts the motor in the correct location (probably doesn't work with the early A body cars though). There is a 3/8 crank spacer available from Mancini also.
Posted By: rebel

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 05:57 AM

i did mine with the eyeometer. no measuring required. just bolted in an empty tranny case to the cross member, attached the csr shield, bolted up an empty block & jacked it up til the csr touched the tunnel, attached the motor plate to the block & welded in the mounting tags. i used comp eng motor plates & they slipped nicely between the rails. stock oil pan could still be fitted whilst the block was in place. tooo easy.
Posted By: Georg

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 06:02 AM

Quote:

MR P BODY - Iam going to do the same. But how much is enough to raise the motor from stock location? Iam talkeing about my `74 Charger ?
Posted By: topbrent

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 06:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No cutting, mounts on the frame rails and puts the motor in the correct location (probably doesn't work with the early A body cars though). There is a 3/8 crank spacer available from Mancini also.

What about locating the fore-aft position of the motor?

Posted By: G_bob

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 09:21 AM

Quote:

thanks Andy. But not to be ungrateful But I am looking for the dimensions. If I were to buy the motor plate from Mancini, I would still feel more comfortable measuring it to double check that i placed it correctly

TTI has the dimesions on their website.

Center of the crankshaft to top of K-frame - 5.25"
Measure from the center of the crankshaft to each framerail. Difference between the two measurements should be 2.5". Engine is offset to passenger side.
Posted By: G_bob

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 09:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What about locating the fore-aft position of the motor?

Mock it up with the trans bolted on using the stock trans mount. That will position it correctly fore/aft.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 02:15 PM

Quote:

i did mine with the eyeometer. no measuring required. just bolted in an empty tranny case to the cross member, attached the csr shield, bolted up an empty block & jacked it up til the csr touched the tunnel, attached the motor plate to the block & welded in the mounting tags. i used comp eng motor plates & they slipped nicely between the rails. stock oil pan could still be fitted whilst the block was in place. tooo easy.

thats the way i do it,if you have the tranny bolted to the crossmember its got to be right on,then if you want it a little further back you can take your measurement from there.but remember your tranny sheild you have to allow for that.

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 02:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

MR P BODY - Iam going to do the same. But how much is enough to raise the motor from stock location? Iam talkeing about my `74 Charger ?

That would depend on what you use for a hood, if you
could raise it up 4" it would help alot(trying to
get the engine closer to the CG of the car) but it
also depends on the HP level you will make, the higher
the HP the lower it needs to be
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 02:35 PM

Quote:

.but remember your tranny sheild you have to allow for that.

That was my concern. Should it be lower to more easily fit a carb fiber tranny shield. I had not thought about how this would affect weight transfer as per Pbodies suggestion
Posted By: bonefish

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/12/09 03:51 PM

no matter what you do if your going to run a tranny sheild you will have to hammer flat the pinch weld between the tunnel and fire wall,then you can put the engine in the stock location or lower it 1/4 in. but if you you lower it make shure your drag link isnt to hi and rubs where it goes thru the pan.
Posted By: Georg

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/13/09 01:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That would depend on what you use for a hood, if you
could raise it up 4" it would help alot(trying to
get the engine closer to the CG of the car) but it
also depends on the HP level you will make, the higher
the HP the lower it needs to be

Motor is coming XR-2 / P7 combo so at least 750hp.
Hood is no proble because it`s allready have scoop and that`s easiest part to make new higher scoop if needed. So 3-4" lift should be ok? So I need to raise tranny mount also same level, right?
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/14/09 11:30 AM

Not to sound like a dumb#$#,,,but
What is the advantage of running a motor plate ?

Is it the ease of getting the motor in and out ?

Is it more sturdy than solid mounts ?

Anyone with a pic or info on the Mancini motor plate ?

What do you have to do to the frame rails in the engine bay
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/14/09 12:54 PM

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/14/09 01:03 PM

There are several different reasons to use a motor plate. It is mostly considered something for "race"
In my case I have a slant six k-frame and want to install a 440 there are no conversion mounts so I do not have to find a V-8 k-frame, also even if a conversion mount is available the motor plate is less expensive

It takes the stress off the side of the block in high hp applications

It makes the removal of the engine easier in some respects

it can stiffen the front of the chassis if installed certain way.

the biggest down side is it moves the water pump forward 1/4-3/8 inch and makes the pulley alignment need adjustment
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/14/09 01:29 PM

Quote:

I would have the headers and oil pan in place when setting the engine and trans in the car. That will help determine the best engine location.

Posted By: Sixpak

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/14/09 02:20 PM

The Mopar Chassis manual has a lot of this info in the Engine Swaps section.

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/14/09 02:26 PM

Doug, the motor plate takes the torque off of the
motor mount area and moves it to the front where it
(the block) has more strength, also the plate has a
better lever arm. Its not all that hard to crack the
mount ears off of a block
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/14/09 09:51 PM

I just had my bro-in-law machine the thickness of the plate off the water pump housing.That way your clearances to the radiator stay the same without using a spacer.
Gus
Posted By: rowin4

Re: motor plates? How to locate them? - 02/14/09 10:59 PM

I did what Gus did, had the water pump machined off the thickness [ 1/4' ] from the back of the pump housing. If you don't have a friend with a mill buy a crank spacer. On location of the engine , just buy a ANDYF plate as shown above from Mancini and it'll place your engine correctly on the frame rail and look good doing it.

© 2024 Moparts Forums