Moparts

Qa1 k member

Posted By: 1fastaspen

Qa1 k member - 09/29/16 11:45 AM

Has anyone used one of these if so what do you think of it thanks for the feed back
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 02:04 AM

Stay away, they bought that design from caps. No one has had any good luck with caps.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 03:47 AM

Seems Tory's deal is about one of the top deals goin.
Posted By: lockjaw-express

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 03:50 AM

I got the RMS Alterkation for my 1968 super Bee...it replaces the torsion bars and has coil-over shock and rack steering. I am very impressed with it!

More expensive, but well worth it. I will eventually replace my GTX with one too.

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 03:58 AM

IIRC member 70aarcuda's Duster has a QA1 K on it for some time. Pretty sure he's putting one on his other daughters Dart....
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By 1967dartgt
Stay away, they bought that design from caps. No one has had any good luck with caps.

I know several guys running them for years with zero issues. Shouldn't bad mouth them, saying nobody likes them. It's flat not true
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 05:21 AM

One of our local guys runs one.. and seems to be very happy. With it. But myself I have no personal experience with it
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 06:21 AM

I have raced a few times over the years with Ray, the Canadian who started CAP back probably 10 years ago now. He campaigns a 65-66 ish Dart that runs mid 9's. Seen him at US131 a few times and chatted with him.
Real nice guy, and sold a good product, especially if your looking for more room.
I think there was a story a few years back about bad welds or something on one of the K members. Not cool, but not the norm.
Nobody is perfect but I have seen them in use and they seem to work well and be safe
Posted By: pattyboy 572

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 09:40 AM

Running a cap for years no issues and ray was very supportive ,just saying....go 143 mph
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 10:45 AM

I have one CAP and two QA1 k members...all fit just find...

One of the QA1 on 71 Duster has a torsion bar elimination kit from Geist Suspension...I am in the process of doing the same on the 71 Dart with a QA1 K member using the Kit from Hemi Denny...I basically finished it today except waiting on double adjustable shocks ..UPS says they will be here on Monday...

My Demon has the CAP K member and it has been in use for 5 or more years...
Posted By: 1fastaspen

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 12:22 PM

Thanks for the replays guys
Posted By: mercman1

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 02:19 PM

I have the old CAP with a rack and pinion in my 3500 LBS 69 GTX. Tons of room even with torsion bars and big headers on a 540 inch Hemi. The GTX drives as nice at 140 mph as my new SRT Challenger does.
If QA1 produces them with a rack I will be switching over my other Mopars. Don't believe EVERYTHING you see on the internet.

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 04:41 PM

from what I've seen the "Alter K" is a really nice piece, and certainly robust enough for street duty. My K set up is pretty much track only as per chassis shop. Something you might keep in mind depending on usage.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 05:18 PM

I had a early CAP K member for 1963 to 1966 A bodys with stock steering and torsion bars that I sold to Mopar Billy, I beleive it is in his drag week Valient shruggy
Maybe he will see this post and chip in on his thoughts and results on his luck
I wanted one with front mount rack and pinion steering for A arms with coil over to eliminate the torson bars for more header clearances is the reason I didn't use it shruggy
Posted By: Jet Doc

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 09:23 PM

I have a QA1 front end on my 67 Barracuda, it's probably the best driving Mopar I've ever owned, launches straight and steers like it's on rails.
Posted By: scottb

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 11:27 PM

Looking at the add it does not say rack or std steering
Posted By: A990

Re: Qa1 k member - 09/30/16 11:46 PM

What rack does this use?
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 01:29 AM

I have looked at the QA1 at shows, just doesn't have enough improvements over a lightened stock K for me.
I run one of Tory's front ends and I'll never say what my car runs but I have no complaints in my fast small tire street car
Posted By: turbo toad

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I had a early CAP K member for 1963 to 1966 A bodys with stock steering and torsion bars that I sold to Mopar Billy, I beleive it is in his drag week Valient shruggy
I wanted one with front mount rack and pinion steering for A arms with coil over to eliminate the torson bars for more header clearances is the reason I didn't use it shruggy

Cab I had a chance to look Mopar Billys car over this year at drag week and He did mention that the K member he was running came from you. If you every get aline on another please keep me in mind Id like to put one on in my Valiant. up
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 03:58 AM

I got that one from Al Aquire shruggy
I'll try to keep my ears and memory open for one up

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 04:43 AM

The three friend that have caps all had problems. Only one got it fixed and still uses front end, the other two gave up on it and replaced them with another brand. That is my experience with them.

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By turbo toad
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge

Cab I had a chance to look Mopar Billys car over this year at drag week and He did mention that the K member he was running came from you. If you every get aline on another please keep me in mind Id like to put one on in my Valiant. up

STR makes a nice one for early a bodies. There is one in Brett's 66 Dart that goes 8.90s. Very reasonably priced.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 04:57 AM

They do suck ask One Bad Fish and the twenty hours of working on it to find out IT WOULD'VE NEVER WORK without the new parts Ray had to send him.
I have one in my dart and that sucked also.

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 02:23 PM

Buy Bobs Profab and be done with it or talk to 67dart gt about his friends kit i here is also very nice
Posted By: turbo toad

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 05:22 PM

STR makes a nice one for early a bodies. There is one in Brett's 66 Dart that goes 8.90s. Very reasonably priced.[/quote]

Thanks Ill have to look into it.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 06:07 PM

anyone have a link to str??
Posted By: KOS

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 06:12 PM

good luck getting one (STR) .....i spoke with Tory last year he was in the middle of a move i said np i can wait a couple months....well i waited forever tried contacting him several times never returned calls or emails even tried calling him a month ago and nothing.to bad i was in the market to buy two of them.

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/01/16 06:23 PM

Did you try Bobs Pro Fab

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/02/16 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By B3422W5
Originally Posted By 1967dartgt

I know several guys running them for years with zero issues. Shouldn't bad mouth them, saying nobody likes them. It's flat not true

I guess I should have said no one I know. If you want to get more in to it, my one friend bought it about 6 months before Ray sold out. He would return his phone calls till he had problems with the system, then no returned calls.
Posted By: lockjaw-express

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/02/16 04:39 PM

I got the Alterkation front end because it would get rid of the torsion bars, and the rack would clear my TTI 2 1/4" headers, and the steering link under the oil pan. Along with clearing almost any deep pan. The pan just has to have a small front notch, and that's it.

My cousin has one on his e-body challenger, and it drives like it is on rails.

The QA1 front kit is a lot less money, though...

Regards, Mark
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/02/16 06:27 PM

I love Tory's front end. Love it!

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/02/16 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By sixpackgut
I love Tory's front end. Love it!

Love mine too, and customer service is top notch...
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/03/16 12:57 AM

We made our own K member.. virtually no camber or toe change through the range of motion..

Attached picture Screenshot_2016-09-09-08-53-10.png
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/03/16 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By WHITEDART
We made our own K member.. virtually no camber or toe change through the range of motion..

I would say acceptable(way less than stock) camber and toe change. It looks a lot like the one on the Dart behind you.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/03/16 03:55 AM

The OP asked about QA1. Some of you are talking about QA1 and CAP as if they are one and the same. I don't think that's fair to QA1. I was over there at a plant tour when they were developing the QA1 K frame. I don't know whether they bought CAPs design or not, but whatever they did, they put their own design engineers on it. Judge it based on QA1 reveiws, not CAP reveiws.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/03/16 05:17 AM

I have both of them...take the decal off the qa1 and you wont know the difference...but I think the qa1 has mounts for the sway bar...
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/03/16 06:28 AM

A local racer put one on his Duster. He still uses the torsion bars but added QA1 uppers, lowers, k frame and strut bars. I talked w/him about the set up, how it handles any problems w/installation or alignment. He said it installed w/o any issues and the alignment was perfect and drives down the track great. His actual words were " the car handles better than it ever has "
Posted By: sublimehemi

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/03/16 08:48 AM

i love my qa1 k and lowers..i have full hotchkis tvs with qa1 k and lowers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1zmXWlS3Bk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdVNdGmKZG8

Attached picture 003.JPG
Posted By: jcc

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/03/16 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By Just-a-dart
Originally Posted By WHITEDART

I would say acceptable(way less than stock) camber and toe change. It looks a lot like the one on the Dart behind you.

However lack of camber gain is often thought to be a downside. Unequal length arms is the intentional method used to achieve that gain, taking it away is seldom a goal.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Qa1 k member - 10/04/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
The OP asked about QA1. Some of you are talking about QA1 and CAP as if they are one and the same. I don't think that's fair to QA1. I was over there at a plant tour when they were developing the QA1 K frame. I don't know whether they bought CAPs design or not, but whatever they did, they put their own design engineers on it. Judge it based on QA1 reveiws, not CAP reveiws.
QA-1 did buy Cap Automotive several years ago, did they change the general design no did they do some refinements I would say yes because of the previous comment about sway bar mounts,,I have everything that Cap built on my car with the exception of the K member,I just wish QA-1 would make one with a rack and pinion mount so I can trash can the stock steering box and still be able to use everything that I have now and not have to re-buy every thing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums