Moparts

Torque converters

Posted By: WHITEDART

Torque converters - 09/24/16 05:07 AM

I talked to A1.they seems to think that the converter in my car is too tight. And too aggressive... they sold me a 7 inch converter...that is about 1000 rpm looser..they said it will settle the car down at the hit. Is this something. Anybody else has knowledge of.. or experience with.. I'm on the fence
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Torque converters - 09/24/16 06:19 AM

Jason Pettis does it a lot w/good results...........
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Torque converters - 09/24/16 06:54 AM

A1 is darn good at converters

Re: Torque converters - 09/24/16 04:05 PM

I guess torque converter our kind of black magic.. especially with a two speed.. after the in stall of the MSD grid.. i was able to look at the data.of each pass..and i noticed the car was having a hard time pulling past the converter in the 1/8.. converter in the car seem to perform well.. it wasn't until we started recording data that we realized we have a big problem. Working with A.1 on this project was very painless.
Posted By: '68cuda416

Re: Torque converters - 09/24/16 04:14 PM

After having issues with my first converter from Ultimate and treated like a second hand citizen for his mistakes I then contacted A1 and got an 8 inch from them and I am very pleased with the performance of it and also it works exactly as promised which again is more than I can say about the other. A1 will get my money in the future.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Torque converters - 09/24/16 04:56 PM

Adam will take care of you.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Torque converters - 09/24/16 08:37 PM

Ran an 8", 6,000 A1 in my car for years with 0 issues. Changed to a Hughes when I changed to a Glide with 0 issues. BUT, I don't make very much power.
Posted By: wupracing

Re: Torque converters - 09/25/16 12:21 AM

I know most do not know this guy but he builds great converters. Hi name is Greg Slack http://gregslackconverters.com He as built alot of IHRA racers and some NHRA racers..Troy Coughlin won the NHRA Pro Mod Championship last year with one of his converter..Also the Q80 Pro Mod Turbo car runs one.He is building one for the guy I drive for now.It is an IHRA H/R class car and brackets runs 6 teens in the 1/8.All the people that I know that has one of his says he hit it right on the first time.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Torque converters - 09/25/16 01:31 AM

Marvin Ripes pretty much invented the modern converter back around 1970, and made the Powerglide (previously a boat anchor) competitive.

Re: Torque converters - 09/25/16 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By polyspheric
Marvin Ripes pretty much invented the modern converter back around 1970, and made the Powerglide (previously a boat anchor) competitive.
is he still the owner of A-1 or did he sale

Re: Torque converters - 09/25/16 03:09 AM

Adam Bowdish owns it now, bought from ol Marv.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Torque converters - 09/25/16 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
Adam Bowdish owns it now, bought from ol Marv.
Allan, the father of Adam, are partners in this company is what I've been told confused
I've bought a bunch of converters over the years, some bad, Art Carr, GER, early TCI and probally some others I can't remember now. I also bought a 8 inch race converter from Marv Ripesat A1 and he took care of the maintenance on my stockers trannys for that year, that converter was excellent upI've also bought good converters from Turbo Action, a early 9 inch 069J BM, Rossi and several other all out race only converters company in SO CA.
My main message is to not skimp or buy the cheaper ones, you get what you pay for thumbs

Re: Torque converters - 09/25/16 08:51 PM

True, true, just couldn't remember the Dads name.
© 2024 Moparts Forums