Moparts

Jesel alignment problem

Posted By: Old School

Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:20 AM

On my 588 inch motor, I have Indy 572-13 heads, With jesel 1.7 rocker arms. Two of the intake arms do not line up with the valve tip. The others are OK and all the exhaust are perfect. I would like a opinions on if these are okay to run? Cam is a solid roller. .800". This is going in A Streetcar.

Attached picture KIMG0232.jpg

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:25 AM

The other one...

Attached picture KIMG0233.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:32 AM

Needs to be shimmed to center the valve tip...........

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
Needs to be shimmed to center the valve tip...........

reading about Gregsdart, I don't want to bind the bearing cages, and have the failures he is dealing with.....
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:35 AM

It looks as if you could use a spacer on the right side of the rocker in the first image. It looks like the spacer on the left side of the rocker could be moved to the right in the second image. I would try to get them as centered as possible. Maybe the hold downs can move around providing different offsets as to which pedestal they bolt to? Maybe some machining of the hold down is necessary?
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:36 AM

I would call Jesel. Mine were perfect on my w9s. Not real sure on shimming.

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:39 AM

I might try to remove all of them, and try mixing them up to get the best alignment. would they be ok to run like they are? confused
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:41 AM

It will not I already tried that.

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:45 AM

Too many $$'s invested to run them like that. Take your time and get it right.

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:47 AM

Shims and spacers are usually required, all are ok as long as the rocker has SIDE clearance.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
Shims and spacers are usually required, all are ok as long as the rocker has SIDE clearance.

Those are controlled by the snap ring.. they are wrong..
send them back for replacements.. they should line up
perfectly... you dont put spacers on those
EDIT
send Jesel a pic of them so they see the issue.. they will
replace them.... if need be they can move the snap ring
grooves over to center the rockers if they are in spec
now.. they may charge you for that.. but it would be cheap..
how is the push rod on those 2 sets.. does the push rod show
to be off... measure what it takes to center them so
you can tell Jesel
wave
Posted By: dvw

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 12:59 AM

If swapping rockers didn't change anything they're not the issue. If the bolt holes in the stands all measure the same, which I'd bet they do. That leaves the valve guides not in the "print" location. The fix? Shim the rockers over or rework the heads.
Doug
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 03:03 AM

I agree with Mr.P. The location is fixed by the snap rings on the shafts.
Either the head valve location is wrong, or the rocker offset on those two is wrong. I would not run them that way with 0.800" lift. Swap them from another cylinder and find out which is wrong.

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 03:08 AM

It sure looks like a spacer sitting there on the left in the second image. The rockers are held in place between two grooves in the shaft for snap rings? The grooves providing ample side clearance?

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By 440Jim
Either the head valve location is wrong, or the rocker offset on those two is wrong. I would not run them that way with 0.800" lift. Swap them from another cylinder and find out which is wrong.

being that they are indy heads, I would not be surprised if it was the heads. I will move the 2 around and see if the problem follows them. frown

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 03:36 AM

It sure looks like a spacer sitting there on the left in the second image. The rockers are held in place between two grooves in the shaft for snap rings? The grooves providing ample side clearance?

That so called spacer is there so the side of the bearing
doesnt ride on the snap ring.. it might be abile to be cut
down some but it has to be in there.. then you have to add
that amount to the other side
wave

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By Old School
Originally Posted By 440Jim

being that they are indy heads, I would not be surprised if it was the heads. I will move the 2 around and see if the problem follows them. frown

IF the guides were off we all know that you wouldnt
pull the heads off and send them back to see IF they
can or will fix them so you have to work around it..
you could have jesel move them or get 2 shafts with
just the mount holes and do your own snap rings grooves..
JMO.. I have the equipment to do it so I would do it myself
wave

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 04:06 AM

So it spaces the bearing away from the snap ring. What would you call it Mr. P? I'm just looking at the second image posted and if that piece in there to the left of the "spacer" is the snap ring, looks like ample clearance to move that "spacer" to the other side of the bearing and have a whatever smaller "spacer" to keep the bearing off the snap ring to the left.

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 04:14 AM

So it spaces the bearing away from the snap ring. What would you call it Mr. P? I'm just looking at the second image posted and if that piece in there to the left of the "spacer" is the snap ring, looks like ample clearance to move that "spacer" to the other side of the bearing and have a whatever smaller "spacer" to keep the bearing off the snap ring to the left.

He could try it.. but that spacer needs to have some
strength to it.. I'm sure its just nylon.. I dont know
how much he can get trying that
wave

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 04:19 AM

Look at the first image. Do you see anything between the bearing and the snap ring to the rocker on the far right? Something is definitely wrong here. Maybe the shaft swaps end to end?
Posted By: BANDIT

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 04:28 AM

Had the same issue on my 588, with same heads, intakes rockers also.Sent rockers back to Jessel, talked to Joe in rebuilders shop. There are 2 bearings inside of the intake rocker versus one on the exhaust. They can move the bearings around inside of the rocker body to position the rocker correctly. BTW there are spacers there and I did use them to fine tune the positioning of the tip. I race my motor and have been checking them weekly for any wear, so far so good. Jim

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 04:29 AM

On his it does look like the shaft can turn end to
end.. on my TDs they cant.. but his bolt spacing is
equal.. your right that the others dont have a spacer
wave

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 04:39 AM

In the second pic he posted, I bet if he moved that spacer over to the other side of the rocker, his tip positioning would be pretty close. Jim.

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/20/16 04:43 AM

Oh, pretty sure those shafts cant be turned end for end cause the middle bolt goes in at an angle compared to the outers. Jim.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/21/16 06:40 PM

Those intake rockers are located by the needle bearings against the snap rings. If they are off center, the bearings are out of place and need to be moved. You may need to buy new bearings to fix this. They are needle roller bearings, .750 outside diameter, 9/16 or .563 inside diameter, and .500 (1/2 inch) wide. About $5 each. You can make up the tools to press them in and out by shortening a 9/16 bolt to about 2 inch of smooth shaft, and a piece of steel tubing, 3/4 od that will slide over the bolt , sanded down to go through the .750 rocker body, about 1 1/2 inches long, just longer than the rocker body is wide. Take measurements of the depth the bearings are on rockers that fit, then push out the bearings on the offending rockers and carefully press new ones back in where they need to be. You now have the tools and know how to fix a hurt rocker, but the shafts are usually toast if a bearing lets go. I have spare shafts and bearings for repairs. The exhaust rocker bearings are 3/4 wide, otherwise same dimensions. These offset Jesel intakes have been a huge pain in the butt for me, lots of bearing failures, as you read about. I am currently running bronze washers that run between the intake rocker bodies and the rocker bar. All the intake rocker snap rings and spacers are not used. To get the right thickness I had to order washers that were 7/8 diameter by .062 thick, then open up the center to 9/16 with a die grinder. You can't drill them, at least I couldn't.

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/21/16 09:18 PM

Greg, where do you get the bronze washers from? Do they stand up well with the side load? It would be nice to not have to look at the rockers after each day of racing. Jim
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Jesel alignment problem - 09/21/16 11:23 PM

I can't remember for sure, but any industrial supply house ought to list washers on their web site. I only have about 25 or 30 passes on the washer deal, but they look like they are going to hold up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums