Moparts

NHRA gave me heart disease

Posted By: dragracedr

NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/10/09 11:11 PM

Just kidding. But, on a serious note, NHRA rules and regs probably saved my life. A many of you know, when you're over 55, to renew your competition license you need to submit an EKG along with your physical. Well, my Ekg changeg ovet the last 2 years. Subsequent testing revealed 2 blocked coronary arteries and I'm scheduled for a bypass operation in 2 days - the blocks couldn't be opened with a wire and stent. I've never had any cardiac symptoms, not overweight or hypertensive, and not diabetic. I am a pipe smoker and have a lousy family history of heart disease. The point is, if I didn't have to comply with sanctioning rules I never would have bothered with a comprehensive physical. NHRA is making me pay attention to myself and ensuring a longer and more productive life - barring any unforeseen problems. By the way I know what to look for with regards to health issues, I am a doctor. I won't piss and moan about stringent regulations any more.
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/10/09 11:13 PM

Hope everything goes well with that!

Re: NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/10/09 11:23 PM

Thanks
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/10/09 11:32 PM

Your going to have to get your cardiologist to give
you a love letter saying your fine to send in with
your EKG ..... mine wouldnt
EDIT
Good luck with the by-pass
Posted By: cgall

Re: NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/10/09 11:33 PM

Way to go, doc, a little PM will always help the old mill run stronger!

Re: NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/10/09 11:58 PM

I appreciate the sentiments. The point of this post is not to advertise my own health problems - I'm fixable. The point is to stress prevention. Most guys tend to neglect their health. Regular screenings and check-ups are ignored until something bad happens - we do more peventive maintenance on our cars than we do on ourselves. This post is a plea for our members to take better care of ourselves, get a physical, whether you need one or not. Prevent a problem instead of scrambling to make repairs.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/11/09 12:10 AM

Quote:

I appreciate the sentiments. The point of this post is not to advertise my own health problems - I'm fixable. The point is to stress prevention. Most guys tend to neglect their health. Regular screenings and check-ups are ignored until something bad happens - we do more peventive maintenance on our cars than we do on ourselves. This post is a plea for our members to take better care of ourselves, get a physical, whether you need one or not. Prevent a problem instead of scrambling to make repairs.

Couldn't agree with you more....mine is due in September....without that I probably wouldn't even think about it. Hope all goes well with your surgery....

Rick Blake
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/11/09 12:46 AM

Better have them check the Prostrate also Seriously, you know the statics, one in three men over fifty yrs. old will have Prostrate cancer, if they live long enough to get it. Sorry, not trying to hijack this, thanks for posting
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/11/09 01:02 AM

Quote:

Better have them check the Prostrate also Seriously, you know the statics, one in three men over fifty yrs. old will have Prostrate cancer, if they live long enough to get it. Sorry, not trying to hijack this, thanks for posting

and if he has both hands on your shoulders while testing.....

hope ya get well Tom..and everything turns out..
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/13/09 07:34 AM

Hey Doc, good post. I was an Air Traffic Controller for thirty years and had to get a physical every year. Since retiring, I just kept going out of habit. I'm not in Olympic shape by any means, but when your body talks back to you,especially if you've crossed the half century mark, check it out.
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: NHRA gave me heart disease - 02/13/09 10:09 AM

Great post Doc!! When I turned 50, my Dr. started harping on me to get a colonoscopy done. I talked my way out of it the fist time, but on my next 6 month visit he was a lot more insistent, so we scheduled it. Everything came out 100%, but....3 weeks later I had my heart attack! First time I saw him during my recovery, I razzed him pretty good about being a lousy doctor because while he was busy workin' on the wrong end of me, the other end broke down!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums