Moparts

help dana 60 posi or spool??????

Posted By: hp340nos

help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/21/16 02:11 AM

not sure to go posi or spool at this time .i twisted an axle on the 8 3/4 and will building the dana,i already have a dana 60 hd narrowed with mosier ends and perches done in a jig.88 dakota street/strip 340 stroker 470 hp on motor plus a 100 hp shot of nitrous truck weighs 3400. i run drag radials.best et 6.77@101 with a 1.48 60ft.this is a street driven to the track.not a daily driver.i know if will push little turning etc,but is it really that bad with a spool?
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/21/16 02:27 AM

You'll find out real fast how bad it is on the first wet day you end up in. A good quality posi unit will be fine for street/strip.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/21/16 02:33 AM

8 3/4 posi with the right parts will live to 600 HP wit slicks for a while. A Dana even more. I ran a spool for years on a street/strip car. Car was only driven on dry pavement. Parking can be a PITA, however.
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/21/16 03:49 AM

Posi is the only way to go. With a spool even letting off it at high speeds on the street you will notice it moving around. Birdtracker
Posted By: CSK

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/21/16 04:06 AM

I just ordered a s60 from Dr Diff & he recommended the Strange s trac it has the helical cut gears inside, he said it is very strong & works very well.

the eaton true trac for an 83/4 is junk
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/21/16 06:44 AM

Originally Posted By csk
I just ordered a s60 from Dr Diff & he recommended the Strange s trac it has the helical cut gears inside, he said it is very strong & works very well.

the eaton true trac for an 83/4 is junk

Years ago I found on E-bay a Gleason Torsen differential for the Dana 60 that I had in my '64 Polara. I had toasted a TracLok rear. Fortunately it came with the 30 spline spiders and was for a 3.54 gear so it was a near bolt in. This was the forerunner of the new helical cut gear diffs and was near invisible in operation. Used regular gear oil and no additive, too. This is best for the street...believe in the good doctor he is right, spools are for the drag strip.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/21/16 06:46 AM

On your deal I would put a good lightweight spool in it thumbs twocentsI driven cars with posi and spools on the street with some HP, any one can get either one out of shape if they want to shruggy The spool will save you a bunch of weight compared to a clutch type Dana 60 posi, which should make the truck quicker and faster shruggywork
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/21/16 08:59 PM

Go with a sure grip....
Posted By: Dragula

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/21/16 10:02 PM

Spool and be done with it...
Posted By: upnover

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/21/16 11:44 PM

spool it
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 01:40 AM

Spool.

Never had one make the car get out of shape getting out of the gas on the street.
But the one and only Detroit Locker I had sure was squirrelly. Never again
Spool is the way to go.
Posted By: D-50

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 02:16 AM

I vote for spool also..
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 02:48 AM

I guess Chrysler was real dumb for putting trac-loks in the their Dana rears.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 02:52 AM

At the time, Ma Mopar was making motors (race HEMI's) with 600 HP max. Technology has come along way. People today run much bigger, higher HP/TQ motors, nitrous, turbos etc. A posi will not stand that kind of power.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By Tempest

At the time, Ma Mopar was making motors (race HEMI's) with 600 HP max. Technology has come along way. People today run much bigger, higher HP/TQ motors, nitrous, turbos etc. A posi will not stand that kind of power.

Exactly
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 03:33 AM

You're going to get varying opinions on this, but something like a Detroit locker is safer if you get caught in the rain on slicks. Drag radials aren't as bad, but if you're on something with timy or no rain grooves having an open diff when you're off the throttle is a little safer. I had some close calls on worn out Quick Time Pros.

On dry pavement I wouldn't worry about either choice.
Posted By: 6pakdakota

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 04:09 AM

Go with a spool. I had one in my daily driver dakota with drag radials for years. The only time it ever got sketchy was when the tires were bald in the rain.
Posted By: GY3

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 05:16 AM

I just went through this after my Auburn unit gave up after less than 2000 miles on the street in my 8 3/4.

600 hp and sticky tires are hard on parts. I went with a spool in the Dana and, while it's harder to go around corners, it was worth it IMO.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 05:26 AM

I went with a posi unit in my Dana 60. No complaints so far.

Mark
Posted By: R3DART

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 05:27 AM

I just recently swapped out my 8 3/4 with spool for a Dana 60 with a Detroit locker.
I had zero issues with driving the spool on the street. Did not find it hard to park, never had any problems when backing out of it on highway as suggested, and even in the little bit of wet weather driving I did, with the drag radials it was nothing that I felt uncomfortable with at all.
The Dana with the Detroit locker (in the car now) is fine. I do not mind it at all. Definitely more clunking and banging goes on but not bad in my opinion.
That said, the next diff I build will have a spool in it again. Nice and simple.
Quite a few years back I had an 84 chev short box 4x4. I had a spool in it with 44" super swampers on it. I didn't mind it at all on the street either so maybe I'm just willing to put up with more than some!!

Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By Tempest

It's not a "posi"
So, how many have you broke?
Or are like most, just repeating what they hear? I'm not saying it won't brake, but they're stronger than you think.
With the times the op stated, he doesn't have "600 hp" so I would put the trac-lok (four pinion type) in. "If" he ever brakes it, put the spool in. Parking, driving in the rain, going around corners, ect. are pretty much standard practice with a street car. If you want to feel what a spool does, put your truck in four wheel drive on dry pavement, then turn a corner.
Posted By: rumblebee4232

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969
I'm not saying it won't brake, but they're stronger than you think.
With the times the op stated, he doesn't have "600 hp" so I would put the trac-lok (four pinion type) in. "If" he ever brakes it, put the spool in.

I brake mine everytime I drive it,however, I have never has it break..
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 02:26 PM

Go w/ a spool.
If you're on slicks, ET Streets, or any other type of tire that has hardly any tread on it...IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT TYPE OF DIFF. YOU HAVE when you're on wet pavement. You will spin out just as easily w/ a suregrip as you will with a spool. It's the tires that matter, not the diff.
I've logged a bunch of street miles w/ both suregrips and spools on both normal street tires and drag tires on wet and dry pavement. Unlike a lot of people who always chime in on this subject.
A good tight suregrip unit, whether it's a stock mopar unit, a locker, or whatever, will spin both tires equally on wet pavement just like a spool b/c you're on a slick surface.

The only thing I noticed different on the street is turning at really low speed takes a little more effort. Other than that, it drives just like anything else.
I've never experienced or even heard of the car wandering after letting off the gas at high speeds...unless you were on bias tires w/ too low of air pressure. Again, that'd be due to the tires and not the diff.
Posted By: Dodgeguy101

Re: help dana 60 posi or spool?????? - 08/22/16 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
Go w/ a spool.
If you're on slicks, ET Streets, or any other type of tire that has hardly any tread on it...IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT TYPE OF DIFF. YOU HAVE when you're on wet pavement. You will spin out just as easily w/ a suregrip as you will with a spool. It's the tires that matter, not the diff.
I've logged a bunch of street miles w/ both suregrips and spools on both normal street tires and drag tires on wet and dry pavement. Unlike a lot of people who always chime in on this subject.
A good tight suregrip unit, whether it's a stock mopar unit, a locker, or whatever, will spin both tires equally on wet pavement just like a spool b/c you're on a slick surface.

The only thing I noticed different on the street is turning at really low speed takes a little more effort. Other than that, it drives just like anything else.
I've never experienced or even heard of the car wandering after letting off the gas at high speeds...unless you were on bias tires w/ too low of air pressure. Again, that'd be due to the tires and not the diff.

I agree, its the tires that matter, not the differential or lack thereof.
© 2024 Moparts Forums