Moparts

A Quick Question On Main Studs .

Posted By: Classof70Chally

A Quick Question On Main Studs . - 02/09/09 09:42 PM

I am beginning to assemble my short block (446) and had a quick question on my main studs. I will be using the ARP lube on the stud nuts but what, if anything, should be used on the stud threads into the block? Thanks.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: A Quick Question On Main Studs . - 02/09/09 10:16 PM

maybe some oil to prevent corrosion? that's all i ever do. i've used eau de 40. just a little. don't wanna hydro lock the stud.

Re: A Quick Question On Main Studs . - 02/09/09 11:01 PM

All the instructions say is you can use Loctite if you want the stud install to be 'permanent'. I think I'll just use a bit of motor oil. I'm doing this now BTW so if anyone else wants to chime in feel free to do so.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: A Quick Question On Main Studs . - 02/09/09 11:38 PM

loctite can cause problems if it cures without a load on the stud. i don't think it's recommended. maybe one of the "heavies" could chime in?
Posted By: jamesc

Re: A Quick Question On Main Studs . - 02/09/09 11:42 PM

oil them and thread them in by hand. make sure to check the center cap and thrust. sometimes you need to enlarge the hole in the center cap to allow the cap to move to align the cap properly.

Re: A Quick Question On Main Studs . - 02/10/09 12:57 AM

Yep. That's what I ended up doing. Thanks for the reminder on the thrust clearance. I assume the value given in the manual will do ? Just checked the end play on #3 bearing. The book says .002 to .007 and I've got a tight .005 so I guess that part's good to go.

Re: A Quick Question On Main Studs . - 02/10/09 04:33 AM

BTTP
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: A Quick Question On Main Studs . - 02/10/09 04:44 AM

I use oil and finger tight only on all the studs I use in Mopar motors. Not so on the other brands of motors that need thread sealer on the studs to prevent water leakage
© 2024 Moparts Forums