Moparts

Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh

Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/04/16 11:06 PM

I have done it before,,,usually takes several practice runs to get it right,,,( lol )
I hate doing this stuff,,,,
Any trick's that you guys use when installing.. ?

I usually tape the line,,,use a cut off wheel,,,and then wrestle getting the fitting over the fresh cut line,,,this is the part that i struggle with,,,always seem's to start to fray as i try and get the fitting on...

ps,,,any trick's for doing it with the line on the car ?
( ie,,,with out a vice ? ) I have to change a fitting,,,but taking the whole line off ( from the trans, headers, shifter linkage, etc ) is a PITA...
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/04/16 11:17 PM

I use electric tape. Wrap it as tight as I can, cut with thin cut-off wheel. I trim the frayed braids with the flat side of the cutoff wheel. Works great for me.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/04/16 11:30 PM

Best tip I ever received: Use black twist lock hose. No poked fingers, AND it's lighter than braided hose. Push it on the fitting and it's locked!

AND it's cheaper...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/04/16 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By rickraw
I use electric tape. Wrap it as tight as I can, cut with thin cut-off wheel. I trim the frayed braids with the flat side of the cutoff wheel. Works great for me.

Same way I did it with the stainless stuff... I use the black
stuff now.. just did one today... cuts with tin snips and the
nut portion slides right on... no more stainless for me... and
I still have a good selection of it in the shop.... from #4
up to either #16 or its #20
wave

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/04/16 11:48 PM

Mike,,,,does the "black" stuff use the same type of AN fittings ?
might just do that,,,,
this braided stuff is a pain
Where did you get your ?
Summit ?
thx,
Doug

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/04/16 11:52 PM

if there a name ( and brand ) for the black line stuff you guys are referring to ?? trying to search for it
Posted By: D-50

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/04/16 11:54 PM

I used the Black Russell Line..
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 12:10 AM

Buy a braided stainless line hose cutter and save yourself a lot of grief.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 12:13 AM

http://www.jegs.com/i/Vibrant-Performance/231/11976/10002/-1
this is the stuff I got for my trans lines. say's it's good to 500 psi. the others I think was in the 300 psi range. plus it was a little cheaper.
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 12:36 AM

I use a chop saw and a set of "koul tools" if it takes me more then 5 mins to make a complete line it's because i stopped to drink a beer.

http://www.jegs.com/p/KOUL-tools/KOUL-tools-Hose/Fitting-Assembly-Kit/760992/10002/-1
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 12:59 AM

3/4" reinforced packing tape (the stuff with the fiberglass strands), small cut off wheel, trim any frays. Pull the tape off and get the nut on it right away because it will begin to fray out. Easy. The brand makes a difference. Aeroquip nuts have a nice chamfer that makes it easy to get started.
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 01:42 AM

Ditch the stainless!

I buy all my AN line and fittings from: getfast1 on eBay. He also has a website.

I believe the site is: www.getfast1.com

I've been using the black braided hose. It has the stainless wire embedded in the hose rubber with a braided nylon jacket. Takes standard AN fittings.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 02:36 AM

I just made my fuel system with Fragola cloth braided lines. It is so much easier than stainless its unreal. My trans lines and rad hoses are stainless but I will likely change them eventually.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 02:49 AM

Yeah same fittings and I get it by the roll from
Summit
wave
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 03:59 AM

I used to wrap and use a cut off wheel. What a PITA.

Then I picked up a Summit hose cutter. Very simple, takes me about 2 minutes per end.

Many have stated they don't like the Summit fittings. That's all I have on my car. I used their hose and fittings. Theirs are the only fittings that I have been able to take apart and reuse if I cut the hose too long and need to trim more off.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 04:52 AM

I use the black nylon type AN hose on a recent motor, I had to fight all of them (Fragola fittings and hose) to get them seated all the way, I even heated the hose up with a electric heat gun and then hot water runaway
Some stainless hose and ends are harder to work with than others, I now use the cutoff wheel to cut 2/3 to 3/4 way through the hose one way and then flip it over and start a new cut on the other side so the cut off wheel doesn't push against the stainless braid outside edges when it is done cutting thumbs scope
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 05:24 AM

The Russel black bylon braided works nice FWIW, very easy. I cut it with a regular hack saw with a fine tooth blade.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 06:01 AM

If I never put another stainless hose together it will be too soon. I use nothing but the black now. Lighter, easier to assemble, more flexible, looks better
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 06:03 AM

Fragola push n lok is complete garbage stay away. I use Frozenboost stainless ptfe and fittings. Gorilla tape and cut off wheel. Cake.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 06:50 AM

On the stainless problem I discovered a little trick that will make installing your fittings easy. I use a hose clamp and screw it down pretty tight. I then use the clamp as my guide to cut with a cutoff wheel which leaves a clean cut. When I remove the clamp the hose retains the clamped size which allows it to slip into the fitting very easily. Tighten the fitting down and your done. Works fine!!!
Posted By: Digger73

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 08:05 AM

Originally Posted By sr4440
I use a chop saw and a set of "koul tools" if it takes me more then 5 mins to make a complete line it's because i stopped to drink a beer.

http://www.jegs.com/p/KOUL-tools/KOUL-tools-Hose/Fitting-Assembly-Kit/760992/10002/-1

Second vote for the Koul Tools. It takes longer to cut the line than it dose to install the ends. And no poked fingers.

Digger73 (Mike)
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/05/16 11:31 PM

I got this down, ad do them so quick now, its not funny....

I like Fragola fittings the best. The trick is, use WD40 when threading them togather, and I use a unibit on the inside of the hose to get it to start on the fitting better.....Works every time. To cut it, get a really good set of the curved electrical wire cutters. The big set that look like a set of bolt cutters.

Put the nut on the line and move it down out of the way, tape the spot your cutting thru, the cut thru it with the afore mentioned cutters, ream the inside with a unibit, assemble onto the fitting with lots of WD40 and slide the nut up and start the thread it on by hand......more WD40, and put a wrench on it and tighten it up.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/06/16 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By Dragula
I got this down, ad do them so quick now, its not funny....

I like Fragola fittings the best. The trick is, use WD40 when threading them togather, and I use a unibit on the inside of the hose to get it to start on the fitting better.....Works every time. To cut it, get a really good set of the curved electrical wire cutters. The big set that look like a set of bolt cutters.

Put the nut on the line and move it down out of the way, tape the spot your cutting thru, the cut thru it with the afore mentioned cutters, ream the inside with a unibit, assemble onto the fitting with lots of WD40 and slide the nut up and start the thread it on by hand......more WD40, and put a wrench on it and tighten it up.

Then pressure test and tag them to 300 psi per the NHRA rules. I used co2 or nitrogen depending on what was handy to test mine.
Posted By: LaRoy Engines

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/06/16 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By cudatom
I used to wrap and use a cut off wheel. What a PITA.

Then I picked up a Summit hose cutter. Very simple, takes me about 2 minutes per end.

Many have stated they don't like the Summit fittings. That's all I have on my car. I used their hose and fittings. Theirs are the only fittings that I have been able to take apart and reuse if I cut the hose too long and need to trim more off.

Same here. One wrap with any masking tape and cut with this cutter.

Summit hose cutter.

Peel the excess masking tape off after you install the fitting.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/06/16 06:57 AM

http://koultools.com/
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/06/16 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By Crizila

Yep, those things are like cheating. I leave the rest of the tape on and cover it with the AN end. Edit: Tree'd by Jim!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900040

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/09/16 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By Airwoofer
Originally Posted By Crizila

Yep, those things are like cheating. I leave the rest of the tape on and cover it with the AN end. Edit: Tree'd by Jim!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900040

iagree These cutters will save you a ton of time and aggravation. They work great until you get in the -12 and bigger range. I use a little bearing grease (very little) on the threads when installing the hose end. Use a small screwdriver to push any loose strands of the braided steel into the socket.

The bigger the line/fitting, the easier they are to make.
Posted By: Bruce

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/09/16 06:28 PM

When I was looking for a painless way to cut and make fuel lines I found this video on ANPLUMBING.COM. Take a look, it's really easy to cut the lines. I have tried it and it works very well.

https://www.anplumbing.com/hose_cutting
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Installing AN fitting's on Braided Line ! arrrrgghhhhhh - 08/09/16 06:34 PM

The TRICK is to but the Earls fiber wrapped line instead of the ancient heavy finger cutting steel braided..........
© 2024 Moparts Forums