Moparts

Which BB aluminum water pump housing?

Posted By: Bob_Fromm

Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/28/16 11:50 PM

Hello all. I'm in the beginning phase of collecting parts for a 470 build. Years ago when I built my 440 I used a 440 Source aluminum water pump housing. Those eventually came under great scrutiny for their narrowed down passages. I see all kinds of other vendors with housings for sale today. Mancini seems to be higher priced on theirs. I would prefer a Direct Connection piece, but not sure it's worth $180?? What have you guys found or are using?
thanks much!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 12:24 AM

Been running the Direct Connection for years street/strip.............
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 12:26 AM

PRW available from Todd at Marsh Perf a sponsor here--zero issues--great price --No worry
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 12:54 AM

I had a PRW too, that worked good, but I also cleaned up the passages a bit before installing it.
I bought a 440 Source one for the Jensen project. I will clean up the passages before using it and hope it works?
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 01:56 AM

I run a 440 source, it flows enough to keep my 512, that has an engine bay packed with roxul insulation and mud, has the radiator in the bed of the truck and 10ft of hose to get there cool.

They fixed the small passage problem a long ago, so unless you have an super old one I wouldn't worry about it. They do still have some blemish ones on their clearance items page if someone still wants to complain about them.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 02:20 AM

I run the 440Source pump and housing on a 505" motor that gets driven in heavy traffic and has, of all things, a 318 Poly radiator from '65!

No problems at all and you can see the results in my sig...

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By GY3
I run the 440Source pump and housing on a 505" motor that gets driven in heavy traffic and has, of all things, a 318 Poly radiator from '65!

I like that combo man............ thumbs
Posted By: GY3

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
Originally Posted By GY3

Me too! Dropped the Dana off today at the race shop. That's really the last weak link in the car. Pretty confident I could do Drag Week and never lift the hood!

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 05:12 AM

SWEET............ beer
Posted By: 383man

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By GY3
Originally Posted By Thumperdart
Originally Posted By GY3

Me too! Dropped the Dana off today at the race shop. That's really the last weak link in the car. Pretty confident I could do Drag Week and never lift the hood!

Thats the cool thing about these bigblock Mopar wedge street pump gas combo's. The last two times I went to the track I never lifted the hood once I started racing. And my hood is a glass hood so I need help to lift it off the car with my back and knee problems so I dont usually lift the hood unless I really have too.
As for my waterpump housing I bought mine from Mancini and its their housing. They told me the only difference in the Mancini aluminum housing and the MP one is the MP name on it. Ron
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 10:27 AM

I believe the Mancini Racing Water Pump Housing is the standard in affordability, quality and reliability. I have owned 2 (2 different 440's). The 440 source got some flack in the past but they fixed the issues and are a quality piece now and a little cheaper than Mancini. Mopar Performance is generally regarded as good but over priced. PRW I have no experience with, but if Marsh is selling and standing behind them, then I would definitely consider buying one.

When it comes to mechanical Water Pumps, Ill always buy Flowkooler. I believe they are the best compared with others in the price range. FYI, the Flowkooler pump fits perfectly in the Mancini housing. I had a thread a while back showing the fit and clearance of my Mancini/Flowkooler combo.
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 01:22 PM

I run the 440 waterpump + housing on 2 of my cars without any issues. One has the housing that comes out the driver's side, the other has the housing that comes out the passenger side. No issues with either.
Posted By: Bob_Fromm

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 02:27 PM

Thanks as always for the feedback guys. I'll check with Marsh to keep my $$ local....
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 04:42 PM

Does anyone make a WP housing that's 3/8" thinner, to use with a motor plate? If not, what might I expect to pay a machine shop to mill 3/8" off each of the water ports?
work
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Which BB aluminum water pump housing? - 07/29/16 08:45 PM

I think my head cost 100 to mill. Water pump should be less
© 2024 Moparts Forums