Moparts

Best way to ship heads???

Posted By: HotRodDave

Best way to ship heads??? - 02/08/09 05:58 AM

What is the best way and what is the cheapest way you guys ship heads? How much does it typically run?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/08/09 06:07 AM

I just shipped a set yesterday via UPS and I was SO
PISSED at them about the shipping cost. I went in the
other day to have them weight and cost to ship to
the person... they told me the price, well I went in
yesterday and shipped them and it was $20 more than
what I told the buyer.... I got screwed for $20.
I've shipped lighter stuff via USPS but I dont know
if they would ship a head. I know UPS has a cost checker
Posted By: lenweiler

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/08/09 12:53 PM

USPS does ship heads. Both of my sets from Shady Dell came via them.
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/08/09 01:49 PM

Look into shipping Greyhound, pretty reasonable.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/08/09 02:38 PM

I recently shipped my Edelbrock heads UPS to Ryan, it was $48 with $2000 insurance. They were both in one box and weighed 68# IIRC.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/08/09 05:50 PM

I've found fedex ground to be less expensive than ups in most cases.

You can ship two iron heads in one box, if it's packaged well.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/08/09 10:54 PM

You may have to use 2 boxes but you can take them to the Post Office and they will ship them.
They are not as picking about the boxing or tape and sometimes get there faster than UPS.
Posted By: 1962Savoy

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/08/09 11:47 PM

Quote:

I just shipped a set yesterday via UPS and I was SO
PISSED at them about the shipping cost. I went in the
other day to have them weight and cost to ship to
the person... they told me the price, well I went in
yesterday and shipped them and it was $20 more than
what I told the buyer.... I got screwed for $20.
I've shipped lighter stuff via USPS but I dont know
if they would ship a head. I know UPS has a cost checker

UPS- FEDUP (FEDEX)
F%#kin RIP OFF!!!!

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/08/09 11:57 PM

I seem to remember shipping iron heads a year ago and shipping was about $25 each, I shipped a set of aluminum heads last week and they were almost $50 ea so I lost $50 bucks over what I told the customer I could understand a couple bucks different from 1 year ago. Both times I used UPS. I never had a problem with UPS getting stuff there when they said.

Twice I have tried the USPS, one time it tooks 2 months for a 7.25 SG unit to go 900 miles, I think the guy was gettin a possee to kill me. Second time I used USPS to ship a pair of iron heads one showed up in a few days the other was 4 weeks later That guy was cussing at me but sounded a little more understanding than the SG guy.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/09/09 12:10 AM

I ship them as a pair(nothing worse than having 1 lost),Fedex with $2000.00 insurance from my coast to the west coast 80lbs $80.00.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/09/09 02:38 AM

Just sent a set of rims 40lbs.UPS to cal. for $51.00, just got a 105lbs. box from ups $77.00 from tx UPS . Get a box that fits both of them put them in a plastic bag, put them in the box and foam it with a little foam insulatin. seal the box before it expands.

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/09/09 03:05 AM

Another thing about UPS (U Piece of Sh!!) is that
if you send to a house it more than shipping to a
business... I seen that on the shipping calculator
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/09/09 03:49 AM

I'm obviously partial to the U.S. Postal Service,but I have used all of them.I don't get a discount or special treatment,but I have always found the USPS to be the most reasonable and reliable of them all.
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/09/09 04:35 AM

U.P.S. ALL THE WAY. I have used them all. The post office will get them there when they feel like it and their tracking info STINKS. FedEx is just crap in rural areas. U.P.S. has always been very reliable and gives us no trouble.
Posted By: Wild Ride 69

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/09/09 04:40 AM

I use Fed Ex if I need something to get where it is going pretty quick. USPS is cheaper but takes a while.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/09/09 05:13 PM

Quote:

I've found fedex ground to be less expensive than ups in most cases.

You can ship two iron heads in one box, if it's packaged well.

Last time I shipped heads, FedEx had the best rates on heavy and/or bulky items.

To put 2 heads in 1 box bolt them to a piece of 1/2" plywood or something similar so they can't shift around. Make sure the wood fits tightly in the box (or it defeats the purpose!).
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/10/09 12:23 AM

Has anyone tried DHL? My work uses them, but I never have. I usually use UPS or USPS.
For something like heads I would probbly use UPS because of their tracking system.
The USPS tracking system seems to get updated whenever they feel like it?
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/10/09 12:46 AM

Roll em up in cardboard like a Burrito, use enough card board so there's about 3-4 layers around the head, trim the ends about an inch long, fill the ends with custom cut pieces of cardboard, tape the you know what out of them, log onto UPS, create a lable, have UPS come pick them up...

Done.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/10/09 01:00 AM

I've always sent mine UPS...go to their site and follow directions and you will have a rough cost to send...but before you do,...

I always put them in a plastic bag..wrap cardboard around them and stick em back in the boxes they came in...weigh em each then go back to the UPS site...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/10/09 01:16 AM

I like to use carpet remnant scraps (usually free at carpet stores) for heavy parts. Wrap the part tightly like a burrito, fuzzy side in. Use 3.00" wide fiberglass rienforced strapping tape or better yet, steel or plastic strapping bands to secure it. After tightly wrapped LABEL BOTH of them individually, then strap or tape them together tightly, then place in a snug fitting HD cardboard box that is well taped and solid, you should feel zero slop from them shifting inside. Regardless of who you ship with they'll probably arive in good shape. I ship intake manifolds this way as well.

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/10/09 02:05 AM

Does the USPS have a max weight per box?

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/10/09 03:21 AM

I know how to package them just fine

I am just looking for a good company with reasonable rates that don't take months to get them there. Mabey some one knows a secret word to tell them to get a good deal
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/10/09 03:22 AM

Quote:

Does the USPS have a max weight per box?

Yes,it's 70lbs.

The USPS will also pick up your packages at your door.You can print your shipping label online as well as pay for the shipping postage.Go to the website www.usps.com lots of info there.

Someone mentioned DHL...they are no longer shipping thru the USA.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/10/09 03:31 AM

Thought about this a little bit more...
Ship em to me, I'll take care of it from here.

That's the best way.
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/10/09 03:52 AM

U.P.S. is 150lbs now. Their service is the best in my opinion.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Best way to ship heads??? - 02/10/09 02:15 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried DHL? My work uses them, but I never have. I usually use UPS or USPS.
For something like heads I would probbly use UPS because of their tracking system.
The USPS tracking system seems to get updated whenever they feel like it?

I thought DHL stopped all their US shipping operations at the end of last year...
© 2024 Moparts Forums