Moparts

Headers came back

Posted By: 1967dartgt

Headers came back - 06/28/16 04:34 AM

Was a mix up and they got done in brite not black like they were supposed to be. I guess it's why you write it down and not do it verbally.

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 04:36 AM

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 04:37 AM

Trying to decide if I want to send them back.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 04:40 AM

If they cost more to be shiny, only pay for the black lol. They look great, and may have a nice contrast with the engine bay.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 04:45 AM

I think they looks Good.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 04:50 AM

I like em, very nice.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 04:55 AM

Let them go as is... they might screw them up
blasting them
wave
Posted By: SpareParts

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 05:28 AM

If it don't go chrome it Brad!
They really do look great tho
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 05:29 AM

Mmmmmmm chrome. I like it.

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 05:30 AM

Don't really want to ship them back to Michigan.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 05:59 AM

Look great. You racing at Norwalk?
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 06:05 AM

I think they will be fine, so nice when everything is brand new
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 02:41 PM

I think they look great.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 03:24 PM

They look great and I'd use em like they are. I think the black would have been nice, but I wouldn't have it redone at this point.
Posted By: clonestocker

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 03:48 PM

Hey Brad, Send me the 1 Free Header Coating credit that they give you for their mistake. I need to get mine done. BTW: They look great!
Posted By: dare_dude

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 04:05 PM

They look good! I agree with Mike. You send them back who knows? I am getting ready to do something on mine also. Will be open
to who does best job and price?

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 04:34 PM

I assume you sent them to QC Coating
and its strange that they would screw
up.. they do all my headers but I live
near by and drop them off and pick them
up... I did take a set back once.. there
was a spot I wasnt happy with and they did
them again
EDIT
My last set on the Rampage I had them do them
in black
wave
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 04:43 PM

Nice headers ! Silver ceremacoat looks nice ! Did you build them ? I just got mine back and they're black.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 05:53 PM

They look great. The silver should be a little cooler than black, no?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 06:09 PM

I think they look great. Understand it is not what you wanted too. FWIW we have not had great luck on two set done in black but don't use QC. I see a lot of dragsters with black that turns chalky too eventually. But who knows.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 07:01 PM

They did you a favor. Shiny is mo better.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By 1967dartgt
Was a mix up and they got done in brite not black like they were supposed to be. I guess it's why you write it down and not do it verbally.

They look all wrong!
Tell you what. Send them to me (i'll pay the shipping cost, and order another set!
Nice headers BTW
Not a stock front k correct?
Matt
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By dare_dude
They look good! I agree with Mike. You send them back who knows? I am getting ready to do something on mine also. Will be open
to who does best job and price?

I used NitroPlate in Nashville Tn for the headers on my Dart, they still look great after seven years.

http://nitroplate.com/
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: Headers came back - 06/28/16 07:27 PM

Wish someone would screw my headers up like that!!

Very nice, Might not be exactly what you wanted but Sweet nun the less! I vote ...run them. up

Re: Headers came back - 06/29/16 03:08 AM

Drivers side, it is a tube k frame with coil overs. I guess I will run them and see how they hold up, maybe do them black next time motor is out for a freshen up.

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Headers came back - 06/29/16 07:46 AM

Those look great on both visual and power potential.............. thumbs
Posted By: dvw

Re: Headers came back - 06/29/16 11:25 AM

My shiny headers from QC still look like new minus a few scuffs I inflicted. They are on year 4.
Doug

Re: Headers came back - 06/29/16 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
My shiny headers from QC still look like new minus a few scuffs I inflicted. They are on year 4.
Doug

Just worried about my nitrous habbit and what it does to coatings. I had QC's black on my last set hold up, just a bent mess now, so I assume these will be no different.

Re: Headers came back - 06/29/16 05:15 PM

How much hotter is the cyl when you spray... cant
be that much hotter so they should hold up fine..
we tested a set of headers a group had coated and
went up to 1500*.. they didnt normally run that high
but it was on the dyno.... I built them then they
wanted to get them coated... no issues
wave
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Headers came back - 06/29/16 07:18 PM

Black or silver............a clean nitrous tune WILL discolor them at the first bend and make them dingy right there. It's GONNA happen, don't care who coats them, or what color they are

Re: Headers came back - 06/29/16 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Black or silver............a clean nitrous tune WILL discolor them at the first bend and make them dingy right there. It's GONNA happen, don't care who coats them, or what color they are

Monte... whats the EGT on a good tune
wave
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Headers came back - 06/29/16 10:07 PM

Really nice, but show us what they look like with about 50 passes on them. Mine didn't hold up. Went to ceramic black. Held up better, but still got a little chalky around the first bends off the ports.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

Monte... whats the EGT on a good tune
wave
You can't tune a gas motor by EGT numbers. It's just a number. I only use them to see if all the holes are lit. I have cars that run anywhere from 1200-1600 and everywhere in between.

As to coating holding up on a nitrous car, depends on who coats them. Before we went to stainless headers, Nitro-plate did ours and they held up VERY well. The bends would get dingy in one pass, but overall it held up well. Kind of like a piston coating on a nitrous car. There isn't one made I can't burn off, except for hard anodizing.......LOL!!!
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 08:46 AM

Not to hijack your thread Brad, Monte what do you mean you can't tune a gas engine by EGT numbers? I thought wideband was the way to go? I hope I didn't drop all this cash to monitor something that is pointless.

Please clarify what you mean. Thanks.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 12:02 PM

And what is this black stuff? Or we talking some sort of coating that they are doing in chrome now? Trying to visualize this.
Posted By: coletrickle

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 12:42 PM

Is it ceramachrome? If so you can have black done over the top.Also coated on 5 he inside or just spray where you can see?
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 03:41 PM

up So will a blown application. Pic = ceramic coated in black. As for EGT's, I can tell you from experience that at 2000*, your rug catches on fire. eek laugh

Attached picture header discoloration.jpg

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 04:09 PM

This is the black coating
wave

Attached picture DSC00161.JPG
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 04:22 PM

I built my headers out of 16 g 321 ss. Really needed no coating. Someone sold me on the idea of keeping under hood temps lower with the cer black. Said it was good for 2000 degrees.
First time on the trans brake cooked the finish. After that, anywhere you touched them, the coating would come off like dust.
My single egt probe would get to approx 1700 on the brake.

Attached picture e-mail sized pics 069.jpg
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By R5P7Duster
Not to hijack your thread Brad, Monte what do you mean you can't tune a gas engine by EGT numbers? I thought wideband was the way to go? I hope I didn't drop all this cash to monitor something that is pointless.

Wideband sensors measure o2 in the tailpipe, not exhaust gas temp. You want to tune an engine based on o2/air fuel ratio, not egt.

The only major exceptions to this are diesels and airplane engines, that are not tuned to a/f ratio.

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 04:40 PM

I use the EGTs to balance intake manifolds...
try to get all the EGTs the same or close with
grinding on the runners in the manifold... most
of the headers I build I put bungs in them at
exactly 1" from the flange... you can see them here
wave

Attached picture W9_6.jpg

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 05:52 PM

Agree with MOnte on a gas motor the EGT means pretty much nothing other than the hole is lit. The numbers can vary way to much due to many things, Fuel type, timing etc

Some of those black headers shown have been my experience. They tend to get chalky and don't last but maybe just whose doing it. We have gone to a new deal that is basically a piston coating on the headers. So far seems to be working very well.

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 06:02 PM

Who is doing that coating Al? What color does it come in?

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 07:01 PM

Have them done here locally. We have done three sets now and all look great so far. Our dragster has the most time on it so far. A couple years worth right now. Will get a pic up here of the color. They have a few different shades, one looks a lot like stainless after its been run in for a bit.

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
Agree with MOnte on a gas motor the EGT means pretty much nothing other than the hole is lit. The numbers can vary way to much due to many things, Fuel type, timing etc

Some of those black headers shown have been my experience. They tend to get chalky and don't last but maybe just whose doing it. We have gone to a new deal that is basically a piston coating on the headers. So far seems to be working very well.

I'm not saying tune your engine by the EGTs... I was asking
on a good nos tune up.. what kind of temps would be expected
and EGTs would be the only place to get a temp from
wave

Re: Headers came back - 06/30/16 08:08 PM

Found this one not the best but you can see the color. And yes those are EGT's, to make sure the holes are firing smile

Re: Headers came back - 07/01/16 01:09 AM

Here is one of the dragster headers. People seem to like it for some reason. Keep asking what it was and where we got it done. Holding up well no makes chalking etc Did it chase we like to be different.

Here is another of the Stratus. Will be over at the coater to drop off more stuff. Will try and take a pic of the other options he has.

Re: Headers came back - 07/01/16 02:23 AM

Definitely cool looking. I have to remember that when I want them redone.
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Headers came back - 07/01/16 03:23 AM

Do you have wideband on all 8 cylinders Al?

Those look nice, I'm not a fan of bling so I like that matte look. I prefer matte black though.

Brad, They def did a nice job on screwing up though ha ha

Re: Headers came back - 07/01/16 04:53 AM

Seems all the company's I am dealing with are screwing up.

Re: Headers came back - 07/01/16 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By R5P7Duster
Do you have wideband on all 8 cylinders Al?

Those look nice, I'm not a fan of bling so I like that matte look. I prefer matte black though.

Brad, They def did a nice job on screwing up though ha ha

Yes we use O2's on each primary tube.

Re: Headers came back - 07/01/16 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By 1967dartgt
Seems all the company's I am dealing with are screwing up.

Trust me I feel your pain. Seems these days the struggle is very real. Been working on mine for two years and a lot of that is waiting on parts to be made or having to tweak them when they are.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Headers came back - 07/01/16 03:05 PM

My Friends and I like shiny.

Re: Headers came back - 07/01/16 06:27 PM

I don't have any friends
© 2024 Moparts Forums