Moparts

Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ???

Posted By: SanityLost

Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/25/16 08:51 PM

Seems like every Saturday something comes up...
I received the filter plate, looking over the instructions they are rather vague ( I know instructions HA) Anyway, Does the attaching nut get some type of washer on it? OR is the supplied O ring that is on the plate the only seal against the block?
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/25/16 09:01 PM

Gasket on the adaptor nut & o-ring on the plate.

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/25/16 09:42 PM

Thanks, the O ring I got that, Now The adapter nut, The gasket on the block side in back of the filter plate where it rests against the block?
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/25/16 10:28 PM

No gasket under the threaded adapter. I spoke with Canton about this very thing.

Posted By: jcc

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/25/16 11:02 PM

Somebody please explain what this achieves.

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/25/16 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By jcc

Nothing other then moving the oil filter further out, some extra holes, and 60 buck lighter wallet.

Supposed to stop leaks too..

IF you have a clean mating surface & torque to specs the factoey plate is more then adequate. JMO.

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/25/16 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By jcc

The OE style 'plate' thing relies on proper torque to work correctly. When you tighten down the adapter nut, the edges crush and the area around the threaded adapter pinches inward. If you gorilla it, it can warp and leak like crazy. The right angle adapters are known to leak as well.

So, if yours leaks, do you go to the dealer or wherever and buy a new plate and gasket kit or do you buy the cool guy Canton part and reuse it on your next block?

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/25/16 11:24 PM

Zero leakage issues with mine or Matts and NEVER have I used a torque wrench to tighten it. We both use 90 degree adaptors and Superformance Gaskets.

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/25/16 11:38 PM

Not saying the OE plates don't work, because in most instances, if properly installed with the correct gaskets, they're fine. But that's the same thing with any part.

I have seen where they leak though, especially when re-used, re-tightened, etc. Leaks could also be from irregular surfaces on the block.

The one 'advantage' of the Canton plate is that it has more holes to allow more oil into and out of the filter. Necessary? Probably not but it's a good idea in theory.

Just a 'better mousetrap' I suppose, nothing real special about it. They're only like $42 though so why not?

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/25/16 11:59 PM

Dots are where I drill the extra holes (black dots) laugh

Attached picture Untitled2.jpg
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/26/16 12:03 AM

Do some research on oil filters and you will be surprised by how little or often you oil filter is actually filtering oil

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/26/16 12:24 AM

Thanks for the pictures and the info, exactly what I was hoping to see.
As for the benefit of it, In my case I had the 90* adapter in my 70 swinger. before pulling the motor I changed the oil and man what a pain in the ass it was with the filter and the torsion bar, there was no easy way to get the filter wrench on there. So doing some research I came across this type of filter mount...hopefully it makes it easier to change it out for me, as nothing else has gone easy since purchasing this car mad

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/26/16 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Do some research on oil filters and you will be surprised by how little or often you oil filter is actually filtering oil

That's when non-bypass filters & high volume (not high pressure) pumps are your friend.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/26/16 01:09 AM

Actually there are 3 gaskets in the MP set...
a thick cork that goes under the plate on the center
bolt, the big gasket on the outer edge and then a thin
paper style gasket that goes under the head of the center
nut/stud... I just found a old MP filter kit a day ago that
I will use on my next build.. unless I go remote.. remote
is easier for me to get the filter off
EDIT
That kit has the plate.. bolt/stud and the 3 gaskets
wave
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/26/16 05:09 AM

The factory plate leaked no matter what I tried on my X-block, went with the Canton piece and never had another problem, that made it worth every cent as far as I was concerned.

Attached picture hoodloser.JPG
Posted By: jcc

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/26/16 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By jcc

Well, now I know. up
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Canton racing products, SB Oil filter plate, Install ??? - 06/26/16 02:24 PM

In my case I just didn't have a stock one. I thought the canton piece was a good value so I bought it. Worth the money in my opinion.
© 2024 Moparts Forums