Moparts

Extremely LOUD race cars

Posted By: Uncle Barry

Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/12/16 04:22 PM

My brother and l were at the track last Friday night and there were two new super stock cars racing. One copo and one cobra jet. My question is, why are they so much louder than other cars with a lot of compression, cubes, etc? They seemed as loud if not louder than a top alcohol car! Do they give these things a splash of nitromethane or something? Just curious. Sorry ahead of time for not being Mopar related.
Posted By: Dyno1

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/12/16 04:45 PM

The new COPO and Cobra Jet that are supercharged, are very loud.

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/12/16 06:36 PM

I forgot to add that yes they are supercharged. Just curious as to why are they so loud? Other supercharged cars are not anywhere near that loud lol
Posted By: dvw

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/12/16 06:50 PM

Supercharged cars are always louder. I can always hear one.
Doug
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/12/16 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By dvw
Supercharged cars are always louder. I can always hear one.
Doug

All that cyl pressure makes a bigger BOOM
wave
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/12/16 07:17 PM

They're putting twice the fuel-air in than normal cars, means a bigger bang.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/13/16 05:01 AM

Back in the mid 1960s to the mid 1970s I notice on a lot of N/A door slammers at the tracks that the cars that made a lot of noise didn't E.T. or MPH as well as the quieter ones did with the same models, classes and motors with open headers shruggy I learned later that retarding the cam, or not degreeing it in to start with, will kill the bottom end and make more noise than the same cam advanced does work shruggy
IHTHs

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/13/16 01:29 PM

I just don't think I've ever heard supercharged cars so loud before in my life like this. (Except a top fuel car).
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/13/16 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By Uncle Barry
I just don't think I've ever heard supercharged cars so loud before in my life like this. (Except a top fuel car).

LOL, I never thought I would see "stock" Challengers, Mustangs and Cameros run in the eights either!

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/13/16 03:19 PM

Me either lol! They are fun to watch that's for sure.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/13/16 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By 340Cuda

LOL, I never thought I would see "stock" Challengers, Mustangs and Cameros run in the eights either!

These cars do run good but I wouldn't go as far as to say "STOCK".
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/13/16 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer

I can't speak to the COPO's, but the Cobra Jets will run low 9's right off the showroom floor. Need to start spending money to get them near class records though.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/13/16 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer

Actually, they are surprisingly stock for the ETs they run. We recently had a Mustang on the chassis dyno at Holley. The thing was a beast with just a well built stock motor and a good tune.

As you know, air flow is KING and these things have it.........plenty of it
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/14/16 08:02 PM

[/quote]

These cars do run good but I wouldn't go as far as to say "STOCK". [/quote]

Well they do run Stock Eliminator...
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/14/16 10:37 PM

These cars do run good but I wouldn't go as far as to say "STOCK". [/quote]

Well they do run Stock Eliminator... [/quote]

And that means what? Stock Eliminator is FAR from stock for the top runners. The cars mentioned above are at Keystone Raceway Park testing and tuning and changing set-ups. He who cheats the bestest and doesn't get caught run the fastest. I had a set of "stock" small block mopar heads on my flowbench and was shocked by what I saw. And haven't seen it since.
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Extremely LOUD race cars - 06/15/16 01:26 AM

I don't think any other race is as loud as RE amemiyas GT300 Car. It made your ears bleed, even when it was on the back straight on the back side of the track behind the stands. And it's naturally aspirated.
© 2024 Moparts Forums