Moparts

Cam Expert?

Posted By: Scott440

Cam Expert? - 06/04/16 06:22 AM

I'm talking with a comp cams tech guy about a new cam.

I'm saying the heads see add'l flow until just over 0.70 lift and I don't want to rev past 6500 so there is little point in a large duration. I said I could go hydraulic or solid. So he comes back with a recommendation for 0.52. I asked why not 0.66? I even sent him the head flow table. He said, no you'll need to give me a lot more than 300 duration and if you use solid instead of hydraulic, that will be even tougher.

There are high lift cams with duration under 300, which allows the sweet spot to be a reasonable rpm range. And solid is not a step backwards if higher lift is desired, right? There is such a thing as a high lift, low duration cam for big blocks. I need to ask for the level 2 tech? What do you think? Or I need to hit the books again because I missed something?
Posted By: BradH

Re: Cam Expert? - 06/04/16 01:31 PM

If you're looking for a cam recommendation from here, you need to provide as much info as you can about the combination and the application.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Cam Expert? - 06/04/16 02:16 PM

Duration , lifter diameter , and rocker ratio limit the max lift that can be ground into a cam. For better lift numbers, a 1.7 ratio rocker will help.
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Cam Expert? - 06/04/16 03:59 PM

I would look up the lobes in their master catalog and order a custom cam.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Catalogs/LC2007/2007LobeCatalog.pdf

Joe
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Cam Expert? - 06/04/16 04:09 PM

Call Dwayne Porter. Fast68plymouth on here.
Do it once, do it right. He is a comp cams dealer and knows his stuff. Has been dead on with my cams over the years.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Cam Expert? - 06/04/16 04:25 PM

Get more than 1 opinion. Lots of cam mfg's out there and they all have cam forms on line that you should be filling out and sending in with as much info as you can give them. Don't just rely on the head flow #'s and where the port stalls as a cam purchasing criteria. Gather as much info as you can so you can make an "educated GUESS".
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Cam Expert? - 06/04/16 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By sr4440
I would look up the lobes in their master catalog and order a custom cam.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Catalogs/LC2007/2007LobeCatalog.pdf

Joe

^ yeah
see page 35 in the catalog, the MM solid cams, probably the most lift in a solid you will find.
i would call dwayne and ask his opinion though...
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Cam Expert? - 06/05/16 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By B3422W5
Call Dwayne Porter. Fast68plymouth on here.
Do it once, do it right. He is a comp cams dealer and knows his stuff. Has been dead on with my cams over the years.

If you call comp 5 times,you'll get 5 different cams.Comp has a fine product,,,,Call Dwayne and have no regrets whistling
Posted By: Scott440

Re: Cam Expert? - 06/05/16 06:58 AM

Not looking for a specific cam here -- just thinking I need a better tech and wondering if you guys thought the same. Sounds like, yes. I'll give Dwayne a call. Thanks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums