Moparts

QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED

Posted By: Thumperdart

QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 08:33 PM

Just got my rear drums under control but can`t get air out of the ft. no matter what I do. Using a mighty vac and it`s solid bubbles using top bleeder.................. shruggy Almost didn`t stop at 135 plus............ mad
Posted By: tsanchez

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 08:36 PM

I have not had good luck with vac bleeders, If you dont have a pressure bleeder then just do it the old school way, (dont pump) just press down and open bleeder, when down close bleeder and release pedal. Keep on until clear.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 08:36 PM

iagree

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By tsanchez
I have not had good luck with vac bleeders, If you dont have a pressure bleeder then just do it the old school way, (dont pump) just press down and open bleeder, when down close bleeder and release pedal. Keep on until clear.

The rears were smooth and fast but the fronts are killin me. I`m alone here and even used a painters pole on the peddle and solid bubbles. I`ll keep trying thankxxx guys............. thumbs
Posted By: krautrock

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 08:41 PM

can you pull the caliper and stick something in it to hold the piston in it (block of wood or clamp it or something)
move caliper around so the bleeder is the low point, then bleed them...
i always bleed by using vacuum hose from the bleeder to a jar and just run alot of brake fluid through the system.
^ just slowly pump the pedal from the drivers seat, make sure your MC doesn't go dry. then get out and close the bleeder snug with open end, then pull the hose off the bleeder and tighten the bleeder up tighter with the closed end.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 08:57 PM

^^^^^^^^^ONLY way to bleed Wilwoods right here. Get a 20 ounce Coke bottle or similar, cut hole in top and put bleeder hose through. Fill bottle about half way with fluid, crack bleeder, slip hose on and slowly stroke pedal until it stops bubbling. Quick, easy and ONLY thing I have found to work. No need to remove caliper and get bleeder low though.....Just the bottle, it WORKS

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 09:04 PM

Thankxxxx.............ended up puttin hose in jar as Monte said and used pole on brake peddle and no more bubbles but now a small leak. I`ll keep after it............ luck
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 09:18 PM

The problem I have run into with the Mity Vac is that sometimes you will pull in air through the threads...Glad you got it sorted!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart
Thankxxxx.............ended up puttin hose in jar as Monte said and used pole on brake peddle and no more bubbles but now a small leak. I`ll keep after it............ luck

The small leak was your bubble problem to begin with..
each time you stroke the pedal its pulling in air
wave
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 09:39 PM

Those willwood bleeders are easy to mess up, I keep some around just in case.

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

wave

At first Mike I just used the mighty vac w/no peddle pressure and worked great on the rears but the fronts wanted no part of it so off for a blast........... thumbs

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 09:55 PM

wave

At first Mike I just used the mighty vac w/no peddle pressure and worked great on the rears but the fronts wanted no part of it so off for a blast........... thumbs

Where was your small leak.... also I had a front hose
collapse on the inside and wouldnt bleed right.. that
took me a hour to figure out... and that was with a vac
set up... it would just suck the hose closed and just
dribble fluid out
wave

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 10:22 PM

Looks like the caliper`s leaking...........so still checking....

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 10:32 PM

Well either rebuild it or replace it... it will keep
sucking in air and can spin you out
wave

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 10:55 PM

wave

Exactly..............I`m done and no racing anytime soon for me till I can get it right so under the cover it goes and back to work......

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 11:14 PM

It's just an O ring

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 11:24 PM

wave

Exactly..............I`m done and no racing anytime soon for me till I can get it right so under the cover it goes and back to work......

They are easy to rebuild... once you get the parts..
it only takes minutes
wave

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 11:24 PM

Which o-ring? There`s one on the piston and I assume between the body pieces. Going to get a rebuild kit from wilwood next week and go from there.............

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 11:26 PM

wave

They are easy to rebuild... once you get the parts..
it only takes minutes
wave

That`s not happening anytime soon and should be on the road now...........super pissed and I`m really loosing interest quick so done here............. drinking
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By OUTLAWD
The problem I have run into with the Mity Vac is that sometimes you will pull in air through the threads...

Me too. I just remove the bleeder screw and use one of the cone-shaped rubber tips that comes with the Mity-Vac shoved in the bleeder hole.

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/19/16 11:57 PM

Apparently my calipers are the 1st generation ones and they have better newer forged pieces from what Nick @ Wilwood said so I`ll take these off, shoot him a part # and get the modern ones w/the "squared" piston seals which are supposed to retract better helping w/drag..............

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 01:29 AM

Take the old one apart, you will see how simple they are built.

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 02:12 AM

No point, they don`t have the piston o-ring for my model..........

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 02:53 AM

Sometimes you can polish the piston and get it to seal
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 03:40 AM

Interesting on the "drag" deal.... I need to upgrade my rear brakes and I don't think I heard or read but maybe one or two people saying wilwoods were "ok".... Lots of mention on "drag" when that subject comes up. fwiw I have Wilwoods on the front too.
Posted By: dvw

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 03:51 AM

Mine are over 20 years old. Square cut seals. They've been taken apart cleaned and reasembled a few times over the years. Polished the pistons, same seals, never leaked. They do have less drag when cleaned up but on back to back runs, no ET difference that I could measure. I'd pop it apart and have a look.
Doug

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 05:01 PM

I was told they didn't have the piston seal for mine so that`s all I can go by but I will tear into it after my car work is done and see exactly what I have...........Do you have a part # for the kit and what size piston is in yours cos apparently the difference is in the piston diameter.............
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 05:49 PM

Hey thumper if you have the part number do a fast check on ebay and racingjunk. I've had lots of luck searching for unstocked parts on both of those sites. Amazon is also a go to place.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 05:50 PM

The seals rarely go bad, don't think I have ever replaced one..........but if the car has been sitting, there may be some rust on the pistons. These calipers are VERY simple

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 05:52 PM

I just did a search and found all kinds of parts so I`ll pull a wheel here shortly and see what my part # is then go from there. The guy I talked to(Nick)said no piston seals were available but I see otherwise and I didn`t even have a # for him. work Maybe he needs to up his sales................ shruggy If they can be rebuilt then that`s what I`ll do instead of buying new ones............ thumbs
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 05:58 PM

I ran into the same thing with Barry Grant fuel pumps years ago. They wanted them returned for service and would NOT sell parts. I found guys on both Racingjunk and ebay and stocked up on seals and orings so I could make repairs at the track or home.

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 06:11 PM

He told me that If I needed pistons and everything it would be within $50 of new calipers.......... work

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/20/16 11:33 PM

Ok, called Wilwood back and have a complete kit w/their newer style pistons coming early next week and figured I`d do em myself instead of having a Monday or Friday package sent to me all jacked up if you know what I mean...........
Posted By: Leigh

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/21/16 12:50 AM

Ok, called Wilwood back and have a complete kit w/their newer style pistons coming early next week and figured I`d do em myself instead of having a Monday or Friday package sent to me all jacked up if you know what I mean...........

Good move. Better to freshen it up yourself. You couldn't give any of their junk. Everything I have, has had to be fixed, before using. I almost crashed, because of a pad that delaminated. Strange, Areospace, anything but that crap.

Re: QUICK WILWOOD BRAKE HELP NEEDED - 05/21/16 01:33 AM

Well, I changed direction again(imagine that)and just bought their newer forged replacements instead due to time I don't have and to try and be ready next thu to race. I`ll pull the old ones apart and rebuild em accordingly and save or sell to someone at a lower price than new............ thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums