Moparts

Thumbs up for "the right stuff" Permatex gasket maker

Posted By: RapidRobert

Thumbs up for "the right stuff" Permatex gasket maker - 05/09/16 06:51 AM

I gotta give a shout out for this stuff. it sealed a temp sender into the intake that Indian head would not seal (tho it is pipe threads and in all fairness pipe dope may have sealed it but I was out) but the sender into the adapter ain't NPT and the stat housing that would not seal after multiple attempts (including drawfiling it flat (& a new one from NAPA) & on that it even took TRS gasket maker PLUS the gasket! On a side note the NAPA housing has a straight flange/no barb on the end like the OE Mopar one, I highly suggest filing a wide groove in it (I got a hot antifreeze bath in the middle of this ordeal!). All good (in the hood) now
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Thumbs up for "the right stuff" Permatex gasket maker - 05/09/16 03:04 PM

Yep, that stuff is great! Until you want to take it apart. You basically need a stick of dynamite.

We had an old KB aluminum block that we were trying to use on the street and couldn't keep the oil and water separated. So we used The right Stuff on the sleeves. It was the only thing we tried that worked.

up
Posted By: gtsdude

Re: Thumbs up for "the right stuff" Permatex gasket maker - 05/09/16 04:36 PM

That is good stuff, the gray International stuff is very good also, 7.3 power strokes have no oil pan gasket, just the RTV, a chisel and hammer is needed to get the oil pan off.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Thumbs up for "the right stuff" Permatex gasket maker - 05/09/16 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By DaveRS23
Yep, that stuff is great! Until you want to take it apart. You basically need a stick of dynamite.

I agree. It is nothing more then Windshield urethane. Works good, but I would use it as a last resort, no other option.

Re: Thumbs up for "the right stuff" Permatex gasket maker - 05/09/16 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By DaveRS23

I agree. It is nothing more then Windshield urethane. Works good, but I would use it as a last resort, no other option.
(1) agreed it is the cats ass to get back off & once you deal with that once you'll forever be judicious on how (where) you use it in the future & that stat housing just would not seal (I think the flanges on em should be made wider). (2) interesting that is what it is. way back I did a windshield & bought the hardening stuff (& it was like that (TRS) now that I think on it) & years later I did another one & the same auto body supply store only sold the non hardening stuff so I went with that
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Thumbs up for "the right stuff" Permatex gasket maker - 05/10/16 01:57 AM

Good Stuff that Right Stuff, I hard an oil leak under the front of my Indy intake and didn`t want to pull the manifold off, a little Right Stuff did the trick No more leak. I usually use the black Right Stuff when I purchased it for they manifold I didn`t realize I had bought the Gray Right Stuff but it worked out great as you can hardly see it there. The oil pan on my 363 always seemed to leak , a little Right Stuff fixed that also

Attached picture IMG_0565.jpg
Posted By: Wookie316

Re: Thumbs up for "the right stuff" Permatex gasket maker - 05/10/16 03:34 AM

I love "The Right Stuff" until the engine has to come apart. But I'd rather be leak free and have to beat things apart later opposed to leaks.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Thumbs up for "the right stuff" Permatex gasket maker - 05/10/16 04:13 AM

Xylene(available at paint stores)will break the bond and help with getting off that thin film that sometimes remains. It is a strong and slow evaporation solvent. Wear good gloves.

Re: Thumbs up for "the right stuff" Permatex gasket maker - 05/10/16 05:26 AM

A/MP Noted!
© 2024 Moparts Forums