Moparts

header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ???

Posted By: cocamcuda

header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 04/30/16 06:25 PM

what brand of header gaskets hold up well w/o blowing out, on a 440, with edelbrock rpm heads and hooker headers.??? I am planning on using the new mr.gasket header bolts ,that don't back out.thanks jim
Posted By: BradH

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 04/30/16 07:08 PM

1. Check if your headers' flanges are flat. If you can detect any warping, no gasket it going to seal properly. Look especially between the two center ports which have to rely on only two bolts to clamp down the siamesed exhaust ports.

2. If the headers are OK, I've had good results w/ Mr. Gasket UltraSeal and (even though they look flimsy), the Indy-brand header gaskets. What TTI sells also looks decent, but I haven't tried those yet to know for sure.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 04/30/16 08:41 PM

I would suggest that U use studs in place of bolts...
Much easier to replace an exhaust gasket, plus no coolant leakage as well..
Regarding gasket brand, we like to use the Fel-Pro..

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: jughed

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 04/30/16 08:55 PM

Using Indy header gaskets with a thin coat of "Ultra Copper" on both sides...no leaks yet.

luck
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 04/30/16 09:07 PM

I have had good luck with Percy's carbon fiber and Mr. Gasket ultra seals on my ride.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 04/30/16 10:28 PM

REMFLEX.
Posted By: BradH

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 04/30/16 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By Sinitro

Just my $0.02... wink

x2 on using studs, if you can install the headers w/ them. Some headers require a lot of "gymnastics" to get the nut over the end of certain studs depending on how the tubes are routed, and it's simply easier to get a bolt started.

Re: Fel-Pro header gaskets... need to check the size of their openings vs. the exhaust port & header flange openings. I've found they're simply too small for larger ports and headers.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 04/30/16 11:14 PM

X2 on remflex.
My headers suck and remflex seals them
Posted By: 383man

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 04/30/16 11:23 PM

One thing on the studs is sometimes with certain headers studs cant be used as they dont always fit good. I know on my TTI and CPPA headers on our cars you cant use studs on some bolts as they just wont fit. Ron
Posted By: Blown 68 R/T

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/01/16 12:00 AM

REMFLEX are the best!
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/01/16 01:06 AM

Ultra-Seal's under flanges that were surfaced has kept my Hooker's happy for a lot of years...
Posted By: therocks

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/01/16 02:56 AM

We use nothing but Mr Gasket ultra seals.Even the valve covers are the ones.Ive had headers on and off and reused them.My kid did have to replace one on his 413 after 6 or 7 years and being off once.Not bad for like 20 bucks.Rocky
Posted By: gch

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/01/16 03:09 AM

I have used nothing but the blue fel pro ones for years.Even re-use them several times off and on.Flat flanges is the key no matter what you use.
Posted By: Scully

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/01/16 03:53 AM

Just a short story here. In 93 I bought my Davis step headers for my Max and went to the local track for some time runs with MR Gasket gaskets, by the time I unloaded the car the gaskets were blown so I made a few passes and left. The following week I went out with the Fel-Pro 1414 and opened them to the max exhaust size with my die grinder,it was a perfect seal. 2016, 23 years later the same gaskets are on the car, 4 different sets of heads and the headers have been removed and reinstalled many times, the gaskets look like the day I first put them on.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/01/16 04:06 AM

Percy Carbons.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/01/16 05:11 PM

Been using the Fel-pro permatorque for years w/just a smear of grease and they last years and don`t leak...........
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/01/16 05:24 PM

Never tried Remflex. After having hood luck with Ultraseals I stayed with them shruggy
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/01/16 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff
REMFLEX.

Putting a set of these on my 86 Grand Wagoneer today. They are interesting but the Jeep/AMC guys I know swear by them.
Posted By: skrews

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/01/16 10:00 PM

Perceys carbon X or remflex. Both will seal on just about anything.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/02/16 03:37 AM

I wish I knew who made the ones that came with my Doug's headers because they have been on there for about 7 years with not a peep. It helps that they have perfect thick flanges and I even used the bolts and lock washers they came with shruggy I pulled them tight after the first heat cycle and haven't touched them since up

Gus beer
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/02/16 03:46 AM

Getting ready to put my headers back on. I have both the Ultra seals and the Remflex. I`m trying to decide which to use. Man those Remflex are thick.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/02/16 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By 383man
One thing on the studs is sometimes with certain headers studs cant be used as they dont always fit good. I know on my TTI and CPPA headers on our cars you cant use studs on some bolts as they just wont fit. Ron

Yeah...
I can see that about possible interference..
On my 70RR using the TTIs' I had no clearance issues. I can say the OE gaskets packed with the TTIs were real thin, replaced with Fel-Pros since I have studs changed them out in 20 minutes..

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: therocks

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/02/16 07:06 PM

I have studs reinstalled on my CPPAs.All are studs except I think 1 thats a bolt.Even with aluminum heads and dry holes I prefer the studs.Had bolts and didnt care for them a lot.Rocky
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/02/16 07:59 PM

Percy's Seal 4 Good work well for me
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/02/16 08:25 PM

I have the Percy Carbon ones with the TTI headers on the 440 stroked to 505 and had no problems with them.
Posted By: 383man

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/03/16 11:04 AM

The second header bolt in this pic is the one that you have to start first at one end of the oval slot with the header as far to the front as it will go because its to tight and not enough room to get a bolt or nut in there with the header in this spot and then after the bolt is started you have to slide the header down to the back of the oval slot to line up the rest of the bolts and put them in. So you cant use studs or you could not get this bolt in or a nut on it. If it was studs you would have to have very short stud and then get a nut on it and started with the header in this posistion as you could not slide the header to the front of the car the inch or so that is the lenth of the slot with studs in the other holes. I even grind the bolt head a little thinner. I just cant see getting a nut in there and starting it with the header in this posistion which is what I would have to do to use studs on this header. Ron

Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/03/16 02:32 PM

remflex!, no others compare
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/04/16 01:29 AM

If you set up the flanges correctly you can use
just about any gaskets... cut the flange between
the ends and middle two cyls... drill one hole
larger on each pair... the flange HAS to grow with
the heat but your not letting it with the holes that
comes on the flanges.. drill it 1/16" to 1/8" larger
the best material is called grafoil.. its graphite
embedded on stainless... the graphite allows it to
slide when growing
wave
Posted By: dart440_72

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/04/16 03:27 AM

Remflex here as well. Couldn't get anything else to seal them up. These did it perfectly!
Posted By: Neil

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/04/16 06:06 AM

A thin smear of copper rtv will help seal almost any type of header gasket. It can be more work to get the mating surfaces clean again doing it this way so if you take your car apart a lot you might want to try something else.

It's good to prep the header flanges with a wide fine tooth file in an x-pattern around each port before they go on and then almost any gasket will do.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/04/16 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By Neil
A thin smear of copper rtv will help seal almost any type of header gasket. It can be more work to get the mating surfaces clean again doing it this way so if you take your car apart a lot you might want to try something else.

It's good to prep the header flanges with a wide fine tooth file in an x-pattern around each port before they go on and then almost any gasket will do.

You need to open up a hole in each port... 34 years
in the exhaust lab I did learn a bit... if it cant
grow that material will WARP.. and people keep wondering
WHY
wave
Posted By: moparx

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/04/16 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
Originally Posted By Neil

You need to open up a hole in each port... 34 years
in the exhaust lab I did learn a bit... if it cant
grow that material will WARP.. and people keep wondering
WHY
wave

i swiped that tip from mr. p many, many years ago and it flat works ! thanks mr. p ! up
beer
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: header gasket preferance on a 440 with headers ??? - 05/04/16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By Sinitro

Just my $0.02... wink

agree use as many ex mani studs as you can. as far as gaskets IF you have an older set of headers, Remflex will seal them. Don't waste time or money on those copper or aluminum junk, they stink. Not sure what the part number is but I also like the Mr. Gasket w/ the metal in the middle, not just plane paper. Cut the flanges and don't over tighten and you should be fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums