Moparts

cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ?

Posted By: cocamcuda

cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 04/30/16 06:16 PM

I have pulled the 440 source heads off my 440,the top of the pistons have fouling/deposits on them and would like to clean them off before installing new edelbrock rpm heads. any thoughts, scotch brite pad.???thanks jim
Posted By: oldiron

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 04/30/16 06:36 PM

i always use wd40
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 04/30/16 07:08 PM

be sure to put some grease around the edges to contain the mess and a shop vac handy and you can duct tape a smaller hose to the nozzle so you can easily get in there. As said a scotch pad is fine. I would spray em with something & let it set overnight & with it all wet it makes it easier to contain the dust/debris that would be kicked up if doing em dry
Posted By: dvw

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 04/30/16 08:17 PM

I did a TON of head gaskets at the dealer. Bring the piston to TDC. Clean them off with scotch brite, scraper ETC. Blow out around the top edge, roll the crank a little, wipe the bore, blow it out, roll, wipe. Follow with the others. No big deal.
Doug
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 04/30/16 10:18 PM

I just did this with my 360 motor...I brought the pistons to TDC, installed a new blade in my gasket remover knife, worked the tops of the pistons while my shop-vac sucked up all the grime...worked out very well.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 04/30/16 10:59 PM

I use a sharp single edge razor blade in my scraper to get the heavy stuff off before using anything else up scope
Posted By: dthemi

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 05/01/16 02:47 PM

Just as a future thought. Before ever taking it apart. Get it hot and mist water down it's throat for a while. Sounds crazy I know, but it'll steam clean them. An old water injection kit works great if you have one.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 05/01/16 03:46 PM

I don't normally clean the tops of my pistons.
But when I do, I make sure to run a shop rag through the top end before disassembly......
laugh2

Attached picture Rag through motor.JPG
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 05/01/16 03:53 PM

...... after the heavy deposits are removed smile

I use a single blade razor scraper to clean the rest with each piston @ TDC. Use compressed air to blow what may have gotten between the piston and cylinder wall then wipe with a rag and lacquer thinner.
Rotate multiple times and wipe each cylinder until they are spotless clean again. Oil the cylinder walls and reassemble.

Attached picture Clean pistons.JPG
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 05/01/16 09:04 PM

I don't like using scotch-brite on any internal parts that aren't going to be able to be thoroughly washed afterwards. Razor blade used carefully, vacuum, lacquer thinner or 2+2 on a towel, compressed air, turn it over by hand several times using WD40 on a towel to wipe the cylinder walls down. But then, I am anal.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 05/01/16 09:06 PM

Don't forget to oil the cylinder walls before startin it up also up twocents
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: cleaning deposits off pistons while in block, while in car ? - 05/01/16 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By dthemi
Just as a future thought. Before ever taking it apart. Get it hot and mist water down it's throat for a while. Sounds crazy I know, but it'll steam clean them. An old water injection kit works great if you have one.

I thought I was the only one who did that??? Yes, it works great.

OP: Why the change from 440 source to Eddy heads?
© 2024 Moparts Forums