Moparts

Valve adjusting tool?

Posted By: lilcuda

Valve adjusting tool? - 04/26/16 09:19 PM

Does anybody use those valve adjusting tools that have the box wrench/allen wrench combo? If so, do they make it easier to adjust the valves?

The last time I adjusted the valves I used a separate box wrench and an allen wrench and it was a pain.

The rockers are Comp Pro Magnums on a small block if it matters.

Thanks for any input.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/26/16 10:49 PM

yes and no, kind of clumsy, handle to high for leverage to tighten need to go back over with flat wrench to make sure locknuts are tight
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/26/16 11:37 PM

http://lsmproducts.com/lsm_products/valve_lash_adjusting_wrenches

One of best tools I ever bought...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 01:46 AM

OT if the spec is 20 tho, if a 21 tho feeler gauge has a slight drag and a 19 tho feeler gauge has no drag then you are within 1 tho of spec. there was on old Hot Rod article decades ago that stated that even a few tho off on the adj makes a significant difference in cam timing. I think a dial indicator being carefull to mount it inline would be the best way to confirm the amt of clearance you do have for that part of the deal
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By 70AARcuda
It should be for the $.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 02:40 AM

I bought their on head valve spring tester.
Not cheap either , but quality costs.
I wish I was rich , but I am gonna bite the bullet and get one of these too I think.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 03:21 AM

The LSM tool with the built in torque wrench is great. I have only used a few of LSMs tools but they have all been top notch.
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 04:49 AM

I have their valve spring pressure tester (PC-100)...suprisingly it was extremely easy and handy to use...I got it at a great price (old racer selling off a bunch of his stuff) so it was money well spent...I tell ya, when you use a quality tool all that angst over the high price really goes away and puts a smile on your face! I try to save up over time and occasinally spoil myself with such a quality add-on to the garage tools collection...

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 05:43 AM

Originally Posted By 70AARcuda

I saw those on Summit Racing's site. Very nice, but pricey.

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
OT if the spec is 20 tho, if a 21 tho feeler gauge has a slight drag and a 19 tho feeler gauge has no drag then you are within 1 tho of spec. there was on old Hot Rod article decades ago that stated that even a few tho off on the adj makes a significant difference in cam timing. I think a dial indicator being carefull to mount it inline would be the best way to confirm the amt of clearance you do have for that part of the deal

The biggest issue with getting it right on my setup is that it is a Comp XFI hydraulic roller with solid roller lifters. The spec has to be zero lash cold, hopefully opening up to .006" to .008" hot. Not much margin for error.
Posted By: littleVAL

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 06:38 AM

I was of the opinion that hydraulic cams do not have the same ramp as a solid and will not work with solid lifters. Is that different on a roller.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 11:23 AM

Solid lifters on a hydraulic cam can work if the lash is very tight.
Been there with a hydraulic flattappet cam. The lash needs to be taken up before/while the camlobe enters the ramp.

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 04:15 PM

According to Comp Cams, this cam can be run this way as long as the lash is kept tight. The reason it is this way is because the hydraulic roller lifters wouldn't clear the block. It's not ideal in my opinion, but I don't have the time or money right now to change it.

AndyF built this engine a few years back. He seems to know what he's doing, so I figure it should be OK.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Valve adjusting tool? - 04/27/16 06:59 PM

Yes, I made my own tool. Yes, it makes adjusting the valves easier.
© 2024 Moparts Forums