Moparts

Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger

Posted By: KatFysh

Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 01:12 AM

When I started building the Dak, I wanted it "perform" as close to UNLAWFL as I could get it. iirc, Gary's best was a 10.73, ran 4.10's in a DANA, 29" tall tires, unported Edelbrock heads, a TM7, Victor 440 and M1 intakes, 3600 w/ him. I think he said it was around 580hp?? But I can't remember all the details.

I have 4.10's in an 8 3/4, 10.8:1 440, maxed ported and milled Eheads{76cc},a Victor 440, 4000 PTC, the same "Unlawfl" custom .585 Comp Cam, Pro Magnum 1.5 rockers, Holley dp 850, CalTracs w/ split monoleafs, I think I'm less than 3400lbs {w/ me}, 28" tall rear drag radials, etc, etc..

My best so far is the 11.87. The whole goal of this truck is to get into the 10's. I know that Un did some carb work, not sure if he went with a ProForm 850 or 950 body. Not sure what the stall was for the converter or even the size. Mines a 9".

I want to change some things before the season really gets going.. I have considered the rear gears, the carb cfm, a taller carb spacer, a scoop on the hood and a few other items.

Do you guys know where I can find the build info of the Challenger? I have looked in the tech archives, but all that there is when he was thinking of building the 500".. Let me know what you think.. Thanks..
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 01:18 AM

His E heads were ported,,,not out of the box. Vince Impastato did them. ( I had mine done there as well,,after Gary recomended Vince to me,, ).
Vince might have the flow numbers,,,if needed.

I used to have his motor "combo" saved on the computer,,,,,,(specs,,etc),,i will see if i can find some of the info...

Maybe Bubba or STEFF or Chuck Millen or Jack Irons can chime in,,,i think they knew his combo pretty well.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 01:31 AM

I'll bring the his Mopar Muscle magazine article next weekend. I think it went in depth on his build.

Re: Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 01:32 AM

I found his cam info....i cant find the other motor info though,,sorry...

Cam specs:(per Gary) "I followed fast68's advice on the camshaft, it's a comp cam based on the .875 design,,,its 294 @ .020, 262 @.050 174 @ .200 and .585 lift"
Posted By: firefighter3931

Re: Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 01:37 AM

From what i remember after talking with Gary at Norwalk ;

Fully ported E-heads (300 cfm)
Comp XX 262@.050 PRH custom grind cam
TM7 intake with spacer
Race Demon 825cfm
Hooker 2in headers
Ross pistons/scat rods (10.7 cr)
Dynamic 9.5in converter (4500 stall)
Dana with 4.30 gears

Ron

Re: Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 01:43 AM

I found his old web page,,,which has ALOT of details on his car,,,,,specs,,etc,

Hope this helps...

Doug

http://www.geocities.com/unlawfl440/
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 01:45 AM

Quote:

Comp XX [Email]262@.050[/Email] PRH custom grind cam
TM7 intake with spacer
Race Demon 825cfm
Hooker 2in headers
Dana with 4.30 gears

Ron

Ronnie, you got a steel trap for a memory !! Is it ok if I break out the last case of Keiths for the B E & A Moparts party this weekend ??

Re: Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 01:47 AM

Thanks guys. I have the exact same cam. The heads I have are from Dwayne Porter. He did all the work to them. He told me what the cam was and I ordered it through him. Along with the rockers and such.

I guess I'm not too far off from what he had.

I too had the same mag. I can't find which tote it's in. I thought I had it seperate from the rest of the pile.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 01:52 AM

The specs quoted are exactly as I remembered them

About a week before he passed Gary called me very excitedly.... picking my brain about wanting to build 511 stroker, we must have talked for 1 1/2 hours.

I dedicated the first fire-up of my 517 to Unlawfl....somehow I knew Gary was looking down with approval

Re: Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 02:03 AM

Doug.. Thats what I was looking for. I knew it was around somewhere..

Wize, I hear ya with the dedication. Like I said, from the beginning of the build of this truck, I have had Gary in mind. I'm getting close. I hope to get his #'s this summer with it. I got his badge on the passenger side of the rear window. He'll be along for the ride EVERY time..
Posted By: firefighter3931

Re: Can we talk about UNLAWFL?? The Challenger - 02/03/09 06:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Comp XX [Email]262@.050[/Email] PRH custom grind cam
TM7 intake with spacer
Race Demon 825cfm
Hooker 2in headers
Dana with 4.30 gears

Ron

Ronnie, you got a steel trap for a memory !! Is it ok if I break out the last case of Keiths for the B E & A Moparts party this weekend ??

Steel trap....more like an empty vacuum

Ya still got some Keiths around ....figured it would be long gone by now

Have a good time at the BEA party and have a cold one for me

Ron

Ps. FHO likes the Firecores
© 2024 Moparts Forums